Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slade

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, July 22, 2019, 08:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Probably sniffing round the local primary school's harvest festival for some Cup-A-Soup.

THAT WUD HUV WERKD BETTER NOT ON A NOO PAIGE

BRen

Slade are brilliant, though I think they're one of those bands that are far superior than their most well-known song would have you think, with the younger generation seeing them as one hit wonders with 'that Christmas song'. Much like Dexys Midnight Runners and Come on Eileen, ignore that song and get on the four albums of absolute bangers they've put out.

For me, Slayed? and Whatever Happened to Slade are their two strongest albums, obviously Alive! is a cracker as well.

kngen

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 23, 2019, 04:15:19 AM
Great film. One of the many highlights is their first gig with Nod, in a horrible northern working men's club, where they sound just like the MC5.

Them Kinda Monkeys Can't Swing*. Exactly how it was described to me when I was first shown that. A great song to play blind to US garage snobs, and - when their pupils are dilating at the sheer awesomeness of it, and they stutter 'Who-o .. who IS this?' - I get to reply: 'Slade, mate. Slade' with a knowing grin.

Love how Noddy's 'Eh ...!' where he comes in half a bar too early is not only on the film audio, but on the actual soundtrack, too. That's fucking gritty vérité right there.

Decent live version of it here, at Winterland no less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMssj7F8ds

There's a nice package of the DVD that comes with the soundtrack on CD too that's worth tracking down. Has some extras, mostly Noddy sat in a hotel suite being interviewed about the film. Really interesting insight into their motivations for making the film what it was, and how they adapted as non-actors to the roles they took on. Having Noddy as a market-stall barker selling tat out the back of a van was a stroke of genius, it has to be said.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 24, 2019, 05:31:15 PM
I think that's probably the reason. Rather than suffer the indignity of losing his voice, he bowed out with his leather-lunged reputation intact. I'm frankly amazed that he managed to sing like that for over 20 years without fucking his throat up. In a class of his own, old Nod.

According to Lea, he (Lea) was the only one interested in writing towards the end. Their last hit, Radio Wall of Sound, was based on one of his old solo songs and the verses were in a key Noddy couldn't handle.

Sounds like it was becoming not much fun, and lack of promotion for the single didn't help. (As far as I can see it wasn't even released in the US, although it sounds tailor-made for that market, and the chorus for radio ident royalties.)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2019, 01:26:05 PM
According to Lea, he (Lea) was the only one interested in writing towards the end. Their last hit, Radio Wall of Sound, was based on one of his old solo songs and the verses were in a key Noddy couldn't handle.

Sounds like it was becoming not much fun, and lack of promotion for the single didn't help. (As far as I can see it wasn't even released in the US, although it sounds tailor-made for that market, and the chorus for radio ident royalties.)

They also didn't have a record contract after Radio Wall of Sound, as the associated greatest hits album fulfilled the existing deal.
The timing probably felt right for Noddy.

Listened to Slade all afternoon. Cheers!

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: boki on July 26, 2019, 02:51:57 PM
Aaaaaay lads

bought. fucking noddy. had some voucher for the first twenty quid, so a fiver. fucking noddy. cuppa soup. get the fuck in.

jobotic

I've thought about it and watching a turd being pinched out of Noddy Holder's hairy anus and heading straight for my sweaty shameful face doesn't appeal that much.

Still, don't knock it til you've tried it, eh?