Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker: MUSICIAN

Started by Cuellar, July 22, 2019, 08:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Being slightly obsessed with him at the moment, and prompted by this interview with Tim Heidecker, comedian, I thought I'd listen to his 'sincere' music.

He's put out a couple of albums in this apparently 'sincere' mode: In Glendale (2016) and What The Broken Hearted Do...(2019)

I know he sings a fair bit in On Cinema, especially in the Oscars specials, but he's always 'drunk' and meant to be a bit shit. He actually has quite a good voice and can write a catchy melody.

I think in that interview he mentions Randy Newman, and the later album certainly shows that influence. Maybe it's just cos I've been listening to a lot of him lately as well, but I can hear a big Warren Zevon influence too.

5 bags of popcorn.

PlanktonSideburns

Really like bits of that in Glendaruel album. Work from home is a banger, great horn bridge

PlanktonSideburns

Leaving that hobbit head esque spelling mistake in

Cuellar

Yeah that is a highlight. Also a fan of Central Air and Good Looking Babies.

Gregory Torso

This is cool because I was meaning to start a Greg Turkington - The Musician thread, and probably will next time I'm drinking.

Cuellar

Parts of it are quite country. Must be great to be an American, you can do that sort of thing. Sort of solid, three chord, verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus thing:

Tim Heidecker - In Glendale

Is it arch, is it affectation?

Cuellar

Alright the video makes it seem a lot more arch. Maybe I was taking his words in that interview too much at face value.

thugler

Couldn't quite get on with 'in glendale' but i think the new one, and the ep he released are pretty great. Definitely wears his influences on his sleeve but has really developed as a songwriter over the last few years.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 22, 2019, 09:17:40 PM
This is cool because I was meaning to start a Greg Turkington - The Musician thread, and probably will next time I'm drinking.

Yeah, well I'm going to start a Vic Berger IV - The Musician thread!

Twed

Quote from: Cuellar link=topic=74343.m

famethrowa

I absolutely love the Heidecker & Wood album "Starting From Nowhere", great fun and great sounds, even though at times Tim isn't a good enough singer to pull it off. It's fun to spot the ripoffs influences of each song, am I right with my picks here?

Cross Country Skiing - Simon & Garfunkel
Right Or Wrong - Steely Dan
Grandest Canyon - Beach Boys
Wedding Song - Philly Soul
Desert Island - Styx sung by Neil Young?
Life on the Road - Doobie Brothers
Weatherman - Boz Scaggs, in particular Harbour Lights
A Song For My Father - early 70's Elton
Right to the Minute - Dan, Doobies, etc
She Left You  - Eagles, Take it to the Limit
Million People - Elton or any 70's piano jockeys

ajsmith2

Not the hugest fan of his music (a bit too 70s AOR, even though my tastes are open to that kind of thing) but I do massively respect how he took the silly conspiracy theory amongst MDE fans and 4channers that he was divorced and turned it into a concept album. Trolling on levels his 'enemies' aren't even aware of.

Cuellar

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 23, 2019, 09:03:48 AM
Not the hugest fan of his music (a bit too 70s AOR, even though my tastes are open to that kind of thing) but I do massively respect how he took the silly conspiracy theory amongst MDE fans and 4channers that he was divorced and turned it into a concept album. Trolling on levels his 'enemies' aren't even aware of.

Ahh, I had wondered about the theme of What The Broken Hearted Do...

I skimmed his twitter the other day and saw a poll asking what his album should be called, stuff like 'Tim CRYDecker', 'Cuck' things like that. Thought he was just having a laugh.

alan nagsworth

He's been jamming/hanging around with Weyes Blood a lot recently which I find wonderful in and of itself. Still not properly got around to listening to his music though.

Petey Pate

Here's a duet between Tim and Father John Misty where they sing 'I Am A Cuck'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggwo_31LFfo

Cuellar

Great comments: "You said it not me". Belter

What is MDE? Various comments under that video mention it. Did Tim piss them (him) off?

Petey Pate

Quote from: Cuellar on July 26, 2019, 10:01:23 AM
Great comments: "You said it not me". Belter

What is MDE? Various comments under that video mention it. Did Tim piss them (him) off?

Million Dollar Extreme, a comedy group that was essentially an alt-right version of Tim & Eric. They gained some traction online and were given a TV show by Adult Swim that was cancelled after one season. Their fans (and members) blame Tim for supposedly influencing the network's decision.

This thread will get you up to speed on them.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55222.0

Cuellar

Huh. Sound like wanks. I'm glad Tim got them cancelled.