Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PM Boris Thread

Started by Menyatta Zondatta, July 23, 2019, 01:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you describe Boris Johnson to someone who didn't know what he was?

A grunty little pig in a permanent wig
4 (6.5%)
Gary Busey stuffed with tomatoes and piss
5 (8.1%)
A blithering sphere of hate and confusion
7 (11.3%)
Wanton Churchill
0 (0%)
Gas
0 (0%)
Raoul Moat
7 (11.3%)
A cunt
2 (3.2%)
A total cunt
0 (0%)
A fucking cunt
0 (0%)
A total fucking cunt
9 (14.5%)
The End of the World
1 (1.6%)
A shit-haired cunt with stinking fascist friends
18 (29%)
A baby dick in a suit
2 (3.2%)
Jo Johnson's brother
1 (1.6%)
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
1 (1.6%)
A gif of a Dachshund throwing up a whole frankfurter forever
5 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Endicott

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on August 12, 2019, 08:46:25 AM
With some kind of inevitable backroom deal between the Tories and The Brexit Party that allows Boris to run unchallenged,

People keep saying this. Can you really see a sitting Tory moving aside for an upstart Brexit wannabe? I can't.

ZoyzaSorris

There will be no deal between conservatives and brexit party. It would be a hammer blow for the Tories (nonsense) self declared brand as the natural party of UK government and would put off the not insignificant portion of the Brexit Party vote that is also anti-Tory.

Jasha

Quote from: pancreas on August 11, 2019, 01:41:22 PM
They still have the issue that they could be attacked by the Brexit party in certain constituencies. So those MPs (Nandy, Lavery, Flint ...) are pushing hard against Remain.

It's not at all clear what the political landscape will be in a new GE. Last time everyone instantly forgot about Brexit and retreated to traditional concerns. Will they do the same again?

Farage and his gang won't win a single Westminster seat ever

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: Endicott on August 12, 2019, 10:07:48 AM
Can you really see a sitting Tory moving aside for an upstart Brexit wannabe? I can't.

Me neither, but I can absolutely see the leadership of both parties coming to a common understanding regarding post-election policy, which may subsequently impact election strategy. There's no way the Tories are simply going to ignore the party that trounced them in the European elections and hold the momentum when it comes to precisely the policy BJ wants to make his own.

I think ideally (for them) the Tories will attempt to neutralise TBP by default, calling the election as the Brexit champions, pitting themselves against Parliament and the Remoanining elite. But if that doesn't work, they'll have to do something with TBP or risk having their vote eroded.

rjd2

Quote from: Kelvin on August 11, 2019, 12:56:33 PM
Weren't lots of people here confident we'd win an election if one was called? There was a real, "Bring it on" tone to discussion of an election, even in the lead up to Boris taking over.

What's changed? Is it just the polling?

Edit: maybe 'lots of people' is an exaggeration, but there certainly seemed to be some optimism and enthusiasm for the prospect of an election.

Possibly the addition of Cummings to the team who is very good at what he does.

Example A.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1160931337169227782

Johnson clearly is trying to woo those on all sides who are tough on crime. People talk a lot about keeping those on the centre happy, but those lefty conservative people are very important regarding the next election.

Last time police cuts was something Corbyn hammered the supposed law and order party over,  Johnson doesn't want a repeat of that.

jamiefairlie

Johnson's plan is to crash out with no deal then go with GE immediately after, thus making BP utterly pointless and so reclaiming all those lovely Brexit people. He'll then cruise into an overall majority, albeit slimish. He's got enough brass neck to push through no-deal despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the opposition (as divided as they are), he'll simply use every trick in the book to ignore them and, in the final analysis, there's nothing they can really do to force him to stop. He also knows that if he doesn't deliver Brexit in October then the Tories are toast and BP will be resurgent, so he has no real choice.

Ambient Sheep

Is that really wise (Sir), given the chaos that's likely to follow a no-deal Brexit?

Surely it would be better to have one just before, hence all the electioneering he's doing at the moment?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 12, 2019, 08:54:59 PM
Is that really wise (Sir), given the chaos that's likely to follow a no-deal Brexit?

Surely it would be better to have one just before, hence all the electioneering he's doing at the moment?

But if he does that, the BP will still poll well enough to threaten his majority. He needs to Brexit to eliminate BP from the picture.

Also the Brexit chaos will only feed the Brexiteer mob's belief in their holy cause, self-flagellating blitz spirit and all that. The worse things get, the more they can blame foreigns  for it all and the better they feel about themselves.

greencalx

But that chaos will be caused by the EU. Not by us. Ah yes wot jf said.

Lordofthefiles

I reckon there'll be an election just before the deadline.
Niggy Fadge has obviously had his chain pulled.

He's began to self-sabotage over the last couple of days.
I presume him taking aim at the royals (Tory voter favourites) is the start of a planned disengagement of Tory voters who were erring toward The Brexit Party, whilst allowing them to keep more left leaning BP voters onboard and away from Labour.

H-O-W-L

You're (sadly) crackers if you think Boris gives a single semiliquid shit about the chaos it would cause. Cunt's probably already waiting for his first offer from an arms dealer the second he farts his way off No 10's doorstep for the last time. By just about the time our descendants are clubbing each other over the last remaining pack of Fox's Party Rings he'll be in a private jet over Saudi waiting to sell a new cache of Loudenboomer Wunderwaffen to a prince who regularly beheads people who listen to Tubthumping over Amnesia.

idunnosomename

Remember when everyone was like "ooh you'll miss May"

Well I don't. Glad to be rid of the rotten cunt.

At least you don't have to listen to Johnson's voice much because he's such a lazy cunt. Although part of that is surely parliament is in recess and he doesn't have to do anything. freeloading cunt

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 12, 2019, 09:17:44 PM
Remember when everyone was like "ooh you'll miss May"

Well I don't. Glad to be rid of the rotten cunt.

At least you don't have to listen to Johnson's voice much because he's such a lazy cunt. Although part of that is surely parliament is in recess and he doesn't have to do anything. freeloading cunt

I kind of agree, at least the choices are clearer and starker now we've lost May's attempts to try to paint her actions as reasonable. Johnson's straight ahead cuntery clarifies the fight that needs to be fought.

olliebean

The suggestion I keep seeing is that there could be an election on Brexit day itself. Achieving the triple aims of: 1) Parliament unable to do anything last minute to stop it; 2) Brexit Party neutered because Boris has done it; 3) Absolutely no chance of any post-Brexit chaos kicking in before the election.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: olliebean on August 12, 2019, 10:55:06 PM
The suggestion I keep seeing is that there could be an election on Brexit day itself. Achieving the triple aims of: 1) Parliament unable to do anything last minute to stop it; 2) Brexit Party neutered because Boris has done it; 3) Absolutely no chance of any post-Brexit chaos kicking in before the election.

Yep, very likely I'd say.  Johnson will the the Brexit mob's hero at that very point.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 12, 2019, 09:01:12 PM
But if he does that, the BP will still poll well enough to threaten his majority. He needs to Brexit to eliminate BP from the picture.

Yes, that is a risk for him, but one that I suspect he's hoping that all his "we're definitely leaving on 31st October" and general patriotic rhetoric will help defuse.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 12, 2019, 09:01:12 PMAlso the Brexit chaos will only feed the Brexiteer mob's belief in their holy cause, self-flagellating blitz spirit and all that. The worse things get, the more they can blame foreigns  for it all and the better they feel about themselves.

Agreed, for the hardcore "Brexiteer mob", absolutely.  But for yer average voter, suddenly struck by what voting Leave actually meant?  (Don't forget, the most Googled thing in the UK the day after the referendum was "What is the EU?")  Not so sure that would go down so well.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 12, 2019, 09:03:08 PMYou're (sadly) crackers if you think Boris gives a single semiliquid shit about the chaos it would cause.

Of course he doesn't give a fuck about the chaos it will cause the average British person, I'm under no illusion about that and I don't know why you'd think I'd believe otherwise.

However it will concern him, but only in the context of, and for as long as, it might affect his (re-)election prospects.

Quote from: olliebean on August 12, 2019, 10:55:06 PM

This is a very chilling prospect as it would indeed work perfectly for him.  People have said it would be unconstitutional as it violates the principle of purdah, but I can totally see him trying it on.  If I were a betting man I think he might go for it and try to ride out the ensuing outrage in his usual inimitable fashion.

I wonder if the EU could sabotage it by unilaterally implementing a last-minute extension to Article 50?  I don't suppose they could but it's an amusing thought.

olliebean

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 12, 2019, 11:15:37 PMI wonder if the EU could sabotage it by unilaterally implementing a last-minute extension to Article 50?  I don't suppose they could but it's an amusing thought.

They could try on the basis that a member state wishing to leave the EU has to do so in accordance with that member state's own laws, and there seems to be ample evidence that we would not be doing so by leaving with no deal and without Parliament explicitly approving it.

Ambient Sheep

OK, so what would happen then, I wonder?  Johnson in charge, with some sort of working majority, but Brexit not happened as promised?  VoNC?

Paul Calf

I don't think the EU are likely to do that. It's far more likely that they'll just rip the plaster off and let us fall out.

Twit 2

Have we got are fishing grounds back yet? I am very concerned about fish.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 13, 2019, 01:05:00 AM
OK, so what would happen then, I wonder?
Our laws still withdraw us on the 31st.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteIt's not only social science, but all those researchers in chemistry, medicine and those working for Cancer Research at Cambridge University wouldn't be desirable according to Priti Patel's £36,700 threshold. And then they say they "welcome scientists"...

https://twitter.com/alexandrabulat/status/1160589838447460358

I don't understand why there needs to be a threshold at all - why is someone earning £36,700 more deserving of living and working in the UK than someone earning £14,000?

idunnosomename

I mean I despise patel but she hasn't said anything. an ultra right-wing think tank is going to tell her to push it up to 36k. she hasnt done anything yet. neither have they, except put out a press release i guess. it's a bizarre story

Cuellar

I don't earn £36k, can they deport me (please)?

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 13, 2019, 11:39:18 AM
https://twitter.com/alexandrabulat/status/1160589838447460358

I don't understand why there needs to be a threshold at all - why is someone earning £36,700 more deserving of living and working in the UK than someone earning £14,000?

Speaking from my experience of the Canadian system which has a similar (albeit much less stringent) requirement, the idea is that you won't need to be subsidized by the state because you have enough wedge to pay for your own accommodation and food so won't be going round being homeless or getting stuck into all the free grub down at the food bank.

I see the point, but 37k gbp is a solid salary - surely half that would be more reasonable (although still over the top in my opinion)

Replies From View

They should just have a thing whereby if you are poor you have to go in a bin bag in a canal.

It's what they're driving at so they may as well just say it.

jobotic

Not all the poor. Someone has to clean the pools and serve the drinks. And chuck the bin bags in the canal.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on August 13, 2019, 12:32:21 PM
They should just have a thing whereby if you are poor you have to go in a bin bag in a canal.

I think this is a regularly trotted out misnomer. Tories don't hate the poor, they fucking love the poor. You can't be rich unless you have lots of other comparatively poor people around, and anyway who would pick your expensive fruit and polish your wine goblets if there weren't desperate people around? Give them all a living wage (or throw them all in a canal) and your supply of cheap dispensable labour might dry up!

They just also hate immigrants. Immigrant + poor = "not even allowed in to pick fruit".

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on August 13, 2019, 12:32:21 PM

These bin bags of yours paid for by the state, I presume!

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on August 13, 2019, 12:47:38 PM
These bin bags of yours paid for by the state, I presume!

Never heard of this happening.  No, the bin bag company will be a donor of the Tory party and the poor people will need to buy the bin bags themselves from that company.