Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tomb Raider

Started by Abnormal Palm, July 23, 2019, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

Today I have finished one zone of the first Tomb Raider game in the serie. What an atmosphere! I remember the first time I saw the Tyrannosaurus Rex the first time when I was a kid and I felt my heart jump from my mouth so although I didn't have such a surprise this occasion, oh man! It was still so great.

Never have I never felt so isolated, solo, afraid of every corner, afraid of a wolf or bear or flying bat. The music is so beautiful, the oboe, the harp, the chorale. It feels like so ancient a feeling, harmony of man at his most dignified and peaceful besides the trap of spikes and pendulum knifes.

I have now terminated the zone of Peru, perhaps it is the most famous zone in the game and perhaps therefore the best. In olden days many games have the best zones at the first place but I hope this game continues at the same level.

I have played fifteen minutes maybe of the Greack zone and it is also beautiful. It continues to push the blocks for more puzzles but I greatly enjoy the movement, the jumps and the structure of a grid of several blocks. It feels like Minecraft! Each jump and step is a distance fixed and so every jump is possible or not possible without you have to guess.

Is there any fans of this original Tombe Raider in the forum? What a game! No joke.

Sin Agog

I think the T-Rex scene could be improved by turning it into a quick time event where you skillfully press the triangle button once in a nailbitingly short fifteen-second window.

St_Eddie

I highly recommend the remake of the first game.  It's brilliant!

As for what I remember of the original... the menu music; spinny passport; wolves; lots and lots of bottomless pits to fall into repeatedly; inordinately disgruntled bats; shooting said bats with dual pistols; aforementioned T-Rex; awkward controls; skinless beasties outta Hellraiser; mirror boss.  That about covers it.  Hellava game!

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 24, 2019, 12:28:54 AM
I think the T-Rex scene could be improved by turning it into a quick time event where you skillfully press the triangle button once in a nailbitingly short fifteen-second window.

Burn the heretic!

bgmnts

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 24, 2019, 12:28:54 AM

I'd go a step further and say get rid of the gameplay altogether and turn it into an episodic point and click dialogue choices game.

biggytitbo

Tomb Raider anniversary is one of my favourite games, a mostly faithful remake (save for some changes in level design), all that atmosphere and feeling of solitude intact but with vastly improved graphics and controls.

Abnormal Palm

Thank you, buddies. I played for a short time Tomb Raider Anniversary on the XBOX 360 and I truly enjoyed the start. Perhaps I will begin it again and relinquish this original edition of the game.

I cannot recall if this Anniversary remake has the original edition's music. For me, this is a true beauty and most important element of the game. The oboe, the harp, the chorale all give me goosebumps.

Maybe tonight I will play because I have gaming night home alone.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2019, 01:41:19 AM
Burn the heretic!

Unless this was your point and I missed it, that is actually what happens in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I don't understand why people are calling Anniversary a faithful remake. It's a good game but it's unrecognisable.

I've been playing TR1 too, off of my PlayStation Classique. I think something might have gone to fuck because after I shot a bloke on level three or so there was a quick cutscene of Lara blowtorching an elevator cable then riding to the top of a building called "Natla" or something. Then she went to another country. Had the sound off tbh. Didn't seem right. Wasn't sure how I got to the building.

Mister Six

I think she's chasing the woman who paid her to go on the quest, having discovered she's a baddy. Or something.

Anyway, yeah, original Tomb Raider was class up until the last level, IIRC, at which point it gets a bit obtuse and is full of exploding zombies that are a pain in the arse. Preferred the early levels, with their sense of solitude and soaring waterfalls. On some of them, if you do a swan dive, the camera spins around you dramatically. Always thought that was a nice touch.

Poobum

I reckon the remake did a good job of capturing the spirit and atmosphere of first Tomb Raider whilst updating the gameplay, also do like Kate Beckinsale type Lara. My only problem was the wall jump where you ran to one side and had to time it to make her jump backwards. Could not get the hang of it, made me very angry on the Atlantis level with all timed business swinging from hooks and what not. Switched that game off a very surly boy.

Tomb Raider 2 was the first PlayStation game I ever played, first 3D platformer as well. Still one of my favourites though I didn't complete it until about two years ago. It's great fun adventuring around, the entire environment being a big puzzle to solve your way through. I don't mind the newer ones, but they take themselves far too seriously, like they're above being a game. They should have embraced the fact that Lara is clearly a psychopath. What business was it of hers if some plonk wanted to be a dragon? Let him be a firey snake with lil silly legs, what's the harm?

Mister Six

Got to say, I did feel a bit uncomfortable in Tomb Raider 2 (or was it 3?) where she progressed from massacring entire biospheres' worth of animals to murdering hapless security guards who had the temerity to get between her and whatever stupid fucking trinket she was chasing.

Poobum

Well I never realised until recently that the monks in Barkhang were friendly, so Lara murdered them all. She is very posh so I imagine it was, in part, down to her post-colonial racism. It is nice how much easier the level it is to complete if you leave them alone, a very positive video gaming message.

It took the mad cow about five seconds to put an entire clip into one bat in the first game. She's got form. Always been a nutter.

biggytitbo

She is a brutal mass murderer in the new games, doesn't even bother with guns, just straight in the head with a pick axe.

She is a role model to young women.

Poobum

It was just good intelligent game design. "How can we justify her killing everyone? I mean we're trying to do a hollow corporate feminism."
"Rape island?"
"Rape island."

Abnormal Palm

In the Tomb Raider original edition I must say I have not been violated in the first zone of the game but I can expect this? I look forward without impatience!

I would truly adore a Tomb Raider exploring game with the game engine of Metal Gear Solid 5.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There is monster in later zone which can violate Laura quite bad!

Abnormal Palm

Let me see how it can violate well with two Uzi automatic guns in the penis and testicles.

biggytitbo

I'd recommend Tomb Raider - Dagger of Xian for some old school tomb raider style gameplay with modern graphics and controls. Surprisingly long for a demo too.

Cerys

Tomb Raider was the first PS game I completed.  It will always have a special place in my heart.  As mentioned above, the music is glorious.  The artwork is beautiful.  And the ability to make Lara swallow-dive from a great height into a pool of lava is nothing short of perfection.

I've attempted a no-kill* run-through, but didn't get past Level One.  I may give it another try some time when my crapness recedes enough for me to be able to control the bitch.

* Animals, that is.  I'm not insane.**

** Not that insane, anyway.

Poobum

A lot of the levels had what was basically ambiently sinister noises as the sound track didn't they? Made stages like the Opera House and Offshore Rig right slow burning tense affairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE33Tj9VAU Spookers.

Abnormal Palm

Buddy, those sound scared the shit out of me! Is Silent Hill or Tomb Raider? Wow! Amazing atmosphere.

Cerys, I congratulate you for your compassionate play but there is so many bear or bat in the game, I cannot imagine. The lion in the beginning of Greece zone is impossible. There is also four apes near the switch. Good luck! Beautiful game, nevertheless it has a lot of death.

Mister Six

Abnormal Pain is my new favourite CaB character.

Twed

Tom Braider plays for The Patriots

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mister Six on July 24, 2019, 07:41:20 PM

I like Abnormal Palm more.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Mister Six on July 24, 2019, 07:41:20 PM

I'm getting overenthusiastic European who gets words wrong.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on July 24, 2019, 01:41:27 PM
Got to say, I did feel a bit uncomfortable in Tomb Raider 2 (or was it 3?) where she progressed from massacring entire biospheres' worth of animals to murdering hapless security guards who had the temerity to get between her and whatever stupid fucking trinket she was chasing.

They weren't hapless security guards in 2, I think they were all aligned quite directly with Bartoli. Who's wants the dagger so he can... be a dragon? And it kind of seems like Lara helped him by opening the door but then falling down so he could get it first.

You can kill monks though because they will all turn hostile even if you only shoot one of them once accidentally, while trying to shoot a regular enemy.

You'd be right with 3 though, she's shooting museum guards and tribesman in the south pacific. Because some guy (who turns out to be a bad) hires her to.

Abnormal Palm

It is certain that Croft is a powerful role model for young women because of its physical strength, calm character and feminine chest. This genre of women can also be a hero.

biggytitbo

The notably tone down her huge and prominent bosums in the new games, which was a good call (although she still has an absolutely lovely arse).

Bazooka

Lara mercilessly slays many beasts be it man or non man  most endangered, but to be fair they all pick the fight first.