Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Storms of Great Britain (location: Wales)

Started by Misspent Boners, July 24, 2019, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone else mesmerized at this summer storm going on? Ive never seen anything like it. Consistent lightning lighting up the sky. There was onethunder crack so loud that it sounded like an explosion and we were truly scared. Monsoon type rain. Apparently there hale in Llandaff not far away.
Loudest thunder I ever done heard.

And all just seemingly out of nowhere; it was a boiling day. Yeah I know.its a summer storm but unusual for here surely? The ministering of BoJo has made a new age of death and calamity come to pass

Anyone else experiencing this shit?
Anyone ever seen a storm like this in this country?

Harry Badger

In Cardiff - was playing cricket earlier and was quite pleased to have got our game in and three pints in the beer garden before it came because we were expecting it from about 8pm onwards. Biggest I can remember here for a long time but I was in Austin in April and there was a storm of this intensity that went on for well over six hours. Mad stuff.

Paul Calf

In Manchester. It's warm and close but no storms as yet.

Blumf

Think that's heading our way soon. Never seem to get much thunder, maybe tonight will be different.

Ooo, just as I type, first rumble.

Zetetic

Quote from: Misspent Boners on July 24, 2019, 01:05:52 AM. There was onethunder crack so loud that it sounded like an explosion and we were truly scared
You and the gulls.

imitationleather

If this is global warming, I say bring it on!

Paul Calf

Nothing here (Manchester) yet. Due any minute now according to the Met Office.

Bum Flaps

Followed it for about an hour this evening on my bike, from Bristol heading east. Enough lightning to pedal by!  Thankfully it was faster than me and heading in the same direction so I avoided getting electromutilated.

St_Eddie

'Twas an absolutely incredible sight to behold tonight!  I've never seen anything quite like it.  I suspect that I've teleported into a horror universe!  Send interdimensional help, stat!  I bet it's that madras.  I bloody knew that it would have repercussions!  I'm spooked.

Paul Calf

Ambient Sheep

I've been enjoying this too, and thought of starting a thread myself...

...there's also https://www.lightningmaps.org which is based on the same data source as above but has a slightly different map style that some may prefer.

I couldn't believe how fast it was moving, by the time the worstbest of the noise had gone, and I'd found that website again, it was already well past the next town.

PowerButchi

Near Wrexham. Stood outaside in my pants having a fag durng the big rains about 12:30. Lovely fresh air after being close all day.

greenman

Had to spend an hour sitting downstairs with two nervous golden retrievers with the TV turned up as loudly as possible, most intense storm I'v ever seen in the UK with lighting strikes every few seconds, only ones previously I'v seen like that were in the Himalayas at the tail end of the monsoon.

Mr Banlon

We had thunder and lightning without rain for about 45 minutes here in the arse-end of West London. Then it absolutely pissed down for 15 minutes.
Stopped about 20 minutes ago.

Cerys

I was promised thunder.  I got no thunder.  This thread makes me sad.

BlodwynPig

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

The beigest of beige days in newcastle. All drizzle and spite

Zetetic

Doesn't seem to have touched the humidity in South Wales

bgmnts

Was a very weird hour or two, just constant thunder and lightning but no rain except when there was a lull in the thunder and lightning, then it absolutely lashed it down for about 3 minutes before cracking on with the lightning.

End of days?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 24, 2019, 08:30:35 AM
Was a very weird hour or two, just constant thunder and lightning but no rain except when there was a lull in the thunder and lightning, then it absolutely lashed it down for about 3 minutes before cracking on with the lightning.

End of days?

No, you dafty

Pingers

Proper Travis Bickle rain last night, beautifully crisp and fresh this morning. Beastly tomorrow though, especially for those of us with Hibernian constitutions.

imitationleather

I stayed up until half 3 waiting for this and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED.

Fuming.

Cuellar

imitationleather

Blumf

Ferris

Quote from: Cerys on July 24, 2019, 07:07:47 AM
I was promised thunder.  I got no thunder.  This thread makes me sad.

Sounded like an artillery range in Birmingham.

Woke me up two or three times. Madness.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

Toronto has bigger storms than that on the storm's day off

Alberon

Saw lightening in the distance as I went to bed, but no thunder.

Was woken an hour later when the thunder and rain arrived, but even then it seemed a bit odd. It seemed right on top of us, but there was a delay to the thunder as if it was higher up than normal. Is that even possible?

Cerys

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

I am weeping into my Kindle.  Weeping.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 24, 2019, 11:25:36 AM
Toronto has bigger storms than that on the storm's day off

That was the loudest storm I've heard, hands down. Blinding flashes through the blackout curtain we have for Ferris Jr (who slept soundly throughout for some reason). Went on for hours, and I'm not kidding about the sound - windows rattling from the incessant booming. Very portentous.