Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Storms of Great Britain (location: Wales)

Started by Misspent Boners, July 24, 2019, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2019, 12:23:54 PM
That was the loudest storm I've heard, hands down. Blinding flashes through the blackout curtain we have for Ferris Jr (who slept soundly throughout for some reason). Went on for hours, and I'm not kidding about the sound - windows rattling from the incessant booming. Very portentous.

Weeping.

Blumf

Walked past a canal earlier this morning, saw a bunch of ducks and geese still snoozing. Reckon they had a shite night of it and were catching up on their shut eye.

hamfist

Shit all in York last night. Or I slept through it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 24, 2019, 12:23:54 PM
That was the loudest storm I've heard, hands down. Blinding flashes through the blackout curtain we have for Ferris Jr (who slept soundly throughout for some reason). Went on for hours, and I'm not kidding about the sound - windows rattling from the incessant booming. Very portentous.

Fair enough. The only fierce one I experienced was in New Orleans. Had to swim back to the hotel almost with the amount of water that accumulated on the streets.

object-lesson

Good afternoon to you. Earlier on today a woman apparently rang the BBC and said she heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't.

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on July 24, 2019, 08:30:35 AM
Was a very weird hour or two, just constant thunder and lightning but no rain except when there was a lull in the thunder and lightning, then it absolutely lashed it down for about 3 minutes before cracking on with the lightning.

End of days?

Very similar here on the south coast near Portsmouth -- I went out to watch the ISS pass over, and the horizon kept lighting up. By the time I went up to bed about an hour later, it was lightning and thunder time, and then suddenly the rain came belting down. It was nice, as I miss the cracking great thunderstorms that followed hot, humid days at home (in northern Delaware).

Ambient Sheep

Holy crap, check out the lightning strikes over the English Channel right now on https://www.lightningmaps.org !!

chveik

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 25, 2019, 06:38:16 PM
Holy crap, check out the lightning strikes over the English Channel right now on https://www.lightningmaps.org !!

amazing website

bgmnts

Is Britain the only nation that makes a news story out of some sun in summer? How haven't we been invaded yet? The silk slippers are firmly on now.

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on July 25, 2019, 07:00:13 PM
Is Britain the only nation that makes a news story out of some sun in summer?

Non!

Nien!

biggytitbo

I really hope we get a storm here tonight and it cools down. I lost so much moisture out of my body last night when I woke up I was only 3 ft tall.

bgmnts

Mon dieu/ mein gott!

Seriously though, it was the first story on the news, superceding politics.

Zetetic

Quote from: gib on July 25, 2019, 07:10:09 PM
I wonder how they do it.
Radio waves, receivers all over the shop and seeing when pulses arrive at different times.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on July 25, 2019, 07:29:47 PM
Mon dieu/ mein gott!

Seriously though, it was the first story on the news, superceding politics.

Not much else going on in the uk rn

Keebleman

Only just noticed this thread but feel justified in joining in cos throughout Tuesday night's storm I was in the middle of Cardiff's Bute Park and so had a ringside seat.  I've been doing a run of night shifts guarding the site of the Homeless World Cup (don't ask (no really - don't, I haven't a clue what it is beyond tramps playing football)). 

I started my shift Tuesday evening at 6.30.  The whole park felt like a greenhouse; even if I hadn't known the forecast I would have guessed a storm was coming.  The lightning started at 11.30, the rain 20 mins later.  I sheltered in the largest of the several marquees on site, enjoying the light show and the tremendous din of the rain on the roof.  The my supervisor called on the radio, saying head office had been in touch and the marquees were considered unsafe: I should go instead to a hut 200 yards away.

This hut was a tiny shed surrounded by trees.  I pointed out  the absurdity of moving from an area where I was entirely safe to one where I wasn't, but was told that as the instruction was official I had to go.  Well, I didn't get fried but I did get extremely wet on my subsequent sprint.

Not working tonight, but at 9.15 it feels even muggier than it did on Tuesday.  No storms forecast though.

BlodwynPig

The big one is about to hit. 72 on the lightning scale. Expected to be localised over Aberystwyth

object-lesson

Quote from: Keebleman on July 25, 2019, 09:16:52 PM
No storms forecast though.

Good afternoon to you. Earlier on today a woman apparently rang the BBC and said she heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't.

hamfist

Had some mad lightning a few years ago. Hardly a drop of rain, a nutjob of a cloud, with the stars visible behind.

Took some long exposures off the balcony to try and capture some of it.

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

Good photos what fun

edit: oh YEARS ago? Forget it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Keebleman on July 25, 2019, 09:16:52 PM
Only just noticed this thread but feel justified in joining in cos throughout Tuesday night's storm I was in the middle of Cardiff's Bute Park and so had a ringside seat.  I've been doing a run of night shifts guarding the site of the Homeless World Cup (don't ask (no really - don't, I haven't a clue what it is beyond tramps playing football)). 

I started my shift Tuesday evening at 6.30.  The whole park felt like a greenhouse; even if I hadn't known the forecast I would have guessed a storm was coming.  The lightning started at 11.30, the rain 20 mins later.  I sheltered in the largest of the several marquees on site, enjoying the light show and the tremendous din of the rain on the roof.  The my supervisor called on the radio, saying head office had been in touch and the marquees were considered unsafe: I should go instead to a hut 200 yards away.

This hut was a tiny shed surrounded by trees.  I pointed out  the absurdity of moving from an area where I was entirely safe to one where I wasn't, but was told that as the instruction was official I had to go.  Well, I didn't get fried but I did get extremely wet on my subsequent sprint.

Not working tonight, but at 9.15 it feels even muggier than it did on Tuesday.  No storms forecast though.

Ha thats funny; I wasnt far with an expansive view over looking St Davids Hospital carpark. Did you hear that one explosive bang at one point? Frightened the life out of us

If I were you I wouldve given into the storm and stripped off and ran around laughing

Was really hoping for a repeat performance last night but it was a one off it seems

Cerys

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 25, 2019, 09:56:36 PM
The big one is about to hit. 72 on the lightning scale. Expected to be localised over Aberystwyth

WEEPING

bgmnts

More tonight/this morning.

Hammering it down, a few bolts of lightning and some proper thunde. It's as if god has just had his Sunday dinner and is letting out these ripping farts, its ace.

Cerys

buttgammon

Loudest thunder I've ever heard in Dublin overnight - I'm sure it's reached Wales by now.

falafel

Let's all club together for a bus down to Cerys's place to shake a wobble board and piss on her bedroom window

edit: sorry, thought this was the group whatsapp

edit 2: anyone got a strobe light? bike headlamp will do

weekender

Quote from: imitationleather on July 24, 2019, 01:54:14 AM
If this is global warming, I say bring it on!

Has to be global warming - it can't just be me that's noticed that 6 months ago it was quite cold and nowadays it's really warm.