Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2020, 06:08:31 PM
Not the website and admittedly no fault of any editors, but at the Auschwitz memorial service on BBC news 24,Dr Mengele shows up on the subtitles as Dr Middle England.

Sick of the lefty bias if I'm honest

It would've been more fitting for the BBC to have a debate between a Holocaust survivor and a Nazi for 'balance'.

sirhenry

The lack of answers on the BBC News site constantly annoys me. When a headline is, for example, 'Why the Queen eats beans' it would be appropriate to say why, rather than just regurgitating for 12 paragraphs that she does. Or 'How Truro discovered pleurisy' should not link to an article that mentions in passing that the discoverer of pleurisy came from the town.

It should be simple - ask a question (albeit implicitly) and answer it.

the

Quote from: sirhenry on January 27, 2020, 09:20:18 PMThe lack of answers on the BBC News site constantly annoys me. When a headline is, for example, 'Why the Queen eats beans' it would be appropriate to say why, rather than just regurgitating for 12 paragraphs that she does. Or 'How Truro discovered pleurisy' should not link to an article that mentions in passing that the discoverer of pleurisy came from the town.

It should be simple - ask a question (albeit implicitly) and answer it.

Someone should develop a browser filter that removes the opening clause from headlines (and the question mark, if there is one). Hey presto - today's hot news is 'The Queen eats beans' and 'Truro discovered pleurisy'. Cuts out the cockteasing and you don't even have to read the article now.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 25, 2020, 05:59:03 PM
Here's what I grabbed

British basketball has reacted with "sadness" to the "shock" news that Robert Archibald, the only Scot to play in the NBA, has died at 39.

FEEL VERY "SAD" NOW

of course it's a fucking shock, be a bit weird if they were expecting it

Harry Badger

QuoteNarciso Elvira, a Mexican retired Major League Baseball player, has been killed in his home state of Veracruz. Elvira, 52, was shot dead along with his 20-year-old son. No arrests have been made, but police suspect criminals were behind the shooting.

Norton Canes

Hardly a watershed moment but I see they've apparently given up even trying to not make their headlines read like autogen clickbait

Bazooka

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 18, 2020, 04:08:39 PM

Hardly a watershed moment but I see they've apparently given up even trying to not make their headlines read like autogen clickbait

And both you and I clicked it.

buttgammon

I've read that phrase about ten times now and still don't understand it. Is the gist of it 'read this article so you can convince yourself the headline makes some sort of grammatical sense'?

shiftwork2

In the future we will all speak fluffed Kilroy.

Pseudopath

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 28, 2020, 07:36:02 PM
Literally every line here is punishing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/51678910

Holy shit. I was desperately looking for the Newsbeat or CBBC banner at the top. How the fuck does that pass as sports journalism?

Cerys

My gerbils used to dance like that when I was a kid.  I sent a letter to Terry Wogan about it, but the cunt never responded.  Death was a fitting reward for this oversight.

turnstyle

I keep coming (snort!) across the link for the guide on the BBC website on how to wank yourself off properly, which I find really offensive as I am considered something of an expert, locally.

BlodwynPig

BBC Guides are the PITS OF OUR TIME (e.g. the BBC Guide to Being Prim in Good Company; the BBC Guide to Being a Right Thinking individual; the BBC Guide to Post-Normal Tweeness for Former Rebels)

But their wanking guide is decent, to be fair

touchingcloth

Some how this is one of the worst things I've ever read:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200415-how-to-make-pizza-like-a-neapolitan-master

QuoteWhen you think of Italy's most memorable dishes, its beloved pizza will most likely be among your top five, if not top three, favourites.

No obvious clangers, but it's just...shit. "Top five, if not top three". Christ.

Sebastian Cobb

They're right 'cos I can only think of pasta, pizza and lasagne.

touchingcloth

imitationleather

sirhenry

imitationleather

Sacla green, Sacla red, Sacla firey chilli.

My Italian friends are bemused that we've elevated pizza so much. To them, a pizza is more of a light lunchtime thing than the stodgy, greasy dinner item that we've made it. The best analogy was that it was like ordering a cheese and pickle sandwich with too much butter for your main and paying £15 for it.

imitationleather

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 17, 2020, 09:38:09 AM
My Italian friends are bemused that we've elevated pizza so much. To them, a pizza is more of a light lunchtime thing than the stodgy, greasy dinner item that we've made it. The best analogy was that it was like ordering a cheese and pickle sandwich with too much butter for your main and paying £15 for it.

Your Italian friends haven't got a clue what they're on about then.

touchingcloth

Italian
Hearty Italian
Italian herbs & cheese
Grain wheat
Honey oat

BlodwynPig

BBQ Flamingo and Horse in Southern Sardinia

Paul Calf

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 17, 2020, 09:38:09 AM

Are they Northern[nb]Stuck-up cunts who fucked off with all the Nazi gold after WWII[/nb] or Southern[nb]Workshy peasants who want everything for free and have millions of filthy, feral kids that they can't pay for[/nb] Italian?

It makes a big difference. North of Rome, you might as well be in Switzerland.