Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:53:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

pancreas

Let me shock you: I didn't mind Robinson. I thought he genuinely made an effort to keep to facts. And the facts he did keep to were reasonably well supplied with evidence. I'm not saying he's not a dreadful shitbag. But I thought he was, at least, reasonably professional. He was a damn sight better than LK.

touchingcloth

Yeah, Nick was a damn sight better than Kuenssberg. Awful man, decent journalist.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: NoSleep on September 12, 2020, 08:27:53 PM
If only they'd just stick to that weak sauce.

Maybe a bit of cornflour in the sauce

Buelligan

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 09, 2020, 07:58:18 PM
From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-54092547
QuoteMrs Sacoolas, 42, the wife of a US intelligence official, claimed diplomatic immunity following the crash in Croughton, Northamptonshire, and was able to return to her home country, sparking an international controversy.

She was charged with causing death by dangerous driving in December but an extradition request .

Radd Seiger, the family's spokesman, told reporters the family felt "hopeless" after the meeting and that the US had not changed its position on the immunity claimed by Mrs Sacoolas.
Updated an hour ago, which means it's been up that long (or more) without them noticing that the middle paragraph is .

Poor old Dominic Raab, he must be gutted, being airbrushed from history like that.  It's like the BBC are intentionally undermining his legacy.  What is their problem?

BlodwynPig

touchingcloth

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

Fambo Number Mive

Top story on the BBC website during a global pandemic and with the Tories trying to breach international law: Is there life on Venus?

Bazooka

Bernice

Buelligan

Did you notice that every one of their overalls and hats were new.  I wonder why that was. 

At least we don't need to feel embarrassed by our diamonds any more. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on September 25, 2020, 03:42:30 PM
Did you notice that every one of their overalls and hats were new.  I wonder why that was. 

Well it's a new mine isn't it!

Keebleman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54091109

This article is about the Beeb's Broadcasting House in Cardiff which is just about to close.  It has a special resonance to me, as at this precise moment I am actually in the Beeb's Broadcasting House in Cardiff, on very quiet shift.

It's a mess.  It has no real structure, there are non sequiturs (Brexit mentioned for no reason), a few questionable facts (Terry and June filmed here?  Will have to ask a colleague about that) and omits information necessary to comprehension: "They shared the Wales Today studio, which meant their producers and presenter had to drive over about an hour before they went on air."  What I think this means is that they had to drive across Cardiff at rush hour to get from the office to the studio, but you have to know Cardiff to be able to even guess at that!

And the final paragraph is sheer laziness:

QuoteAfter 54 years, with almost the last show produced at BH, the new headquarters at Central Square are set to help shape Wales' agenda.

"...with Broadcasting House about to produce its final show..."  would have been better, but rewording can't help the second clause.

I like the pics though.  The reception area still looks the same (although the French signage has gone).

idunnosomename

MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 EXPLOITED 👏 BY 👏 FREE-MARKET 👏 CAPITALISM 👏 FOR  👏 HARD 👏 PHYSICAL 👏 LABOUR

flotemysost

Apologies if this has been covered already (maybe in the infantilisation thread if not here), but I'm getting sick of seeing promo posts for iPlayer crop up on social media (I don't follow them, it just comes up as "suggested") where it's a clip of a show and the tagline is nauseatingly worded to sound like a millennial memes type account:

"Omg these penguins are squad goals *heart eyes emoji*" on a natural history programme promo

"We've all been there tbf *crying with laughter emoji*" on a comedy clip

Etc.

It's definitely not just the BBC (saw an article from the Independent about sniffer dogs detecting COVID and the related post was something like "The best bois doing their bit"), but it just smacks of cynical try-hard phoniness so so much.

Sebastian Cobb

I know this isn't BBC but fuck me what stellar simping from the court jester of news.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 28, 2020, 05:25:48 PM
I know this isn't BBC but fuck me what stellar simping from the court jester of news.

Fuck he's really pushing his name as a hashtag.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: flotemysost on September 27, 2020, 01:25:55 PM
Apologies if this has been covered already (maybe in the infantilisation thread if not here), but I'm getting sick of seeing promo posts for iPlayer crop up on social media (I don't follow them, it just comes up as "suggested") where it's a clip of a show and the tagline is nauseatingly worded to sound like a millennial memes type account:

"Omg these penguins are squad goals *heart eyes emoji*" on a natural history programme promo

"We've all been there tbf *crying with laughter emoji*" on a comedy clip

Etc.

It's definitely not just the BBC (saw an article from the Independent about sniffer dogs detecting COVID and the related post was something like "The best bois doing their bit"), but it just smacks of cynical try-hard phoniness so so much.

Thanks, bringing me nearer to the grave.

BlodwynPig

Thanks, bringing me nearer to the grave.

BlodwynPig

What is this?

QuoteITV (pol ed), Speakers for Schools (founder), writer (WTF), Hospice UK (vice pres), Arsenal (East Stand), Peston (as in #Peston show, 10.45pm Weds). So?

BlodwynPig

actually that is tweeted from Peston (The Show) rather than Peston (The Cunt). I suppose its a bit like Kilroy or Vic Derbyshire.

idunnosomename

The reich has just declared Jews as untermensch. Which minority would you violently oppress next?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BBC SportHeather Watson remains the only British player in the women's singles with the 28-year-old getting her campaign under way on Tuesday against Italy's Fiona Ferro

That would be "France's Fiona Ferro". Call yourself sports journalists, pah.

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 14, 2020, 04:54:17 PM

I've seen worse. It's somewhat irritating, but there are at least some facts. Imagine if Brian Cox had done it.

Sebastian Cobb

I put this in the earth-shattering local news thread but I think it's appropriate to post it here too. Serious things going down in Norfolk.

https://twitter.com/edge_of_summer/status/1310674689291964417