Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 29, 2020, 03:10:02 PM
I put this in the earth-shattering local news thread but I think it's appropriate to post it here too. Serious things going down in Norfolk.

https://twitter.com/edge_of_summer/status/1310674689291964417
why does the reconstruction have a brick from like 1998. this what my licence fee goes to

fuckin look at this

Sebastian Cobb

lol yes that amused me, I wonder how long some poor runner was scrambling around looking for a shitty prop they could throw in the sea.

When I worked in telly they decorated all the meeting rooms with props. The floor we were on had a screening room that was basically 2 meeting rooms with a one-way mirror between them and mic'd up so people could watch something and producers could review their reactions to see how well it went down.

This meant it was dressed up with a load of policey props, including one of those interview tape machines and a set of prop blue lights for a car designed to plug into the fag lighter.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson and Keir Starmer will kick off their weekly joust at 12:00 BST.

Question Time is meant to hold the Prime Minister to account, it's not a battle.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 30, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
why does the reconstruction have a brick from like 1998. this what my licence fee goes to

fuckin look at this

they did a reconstruction? "cost the same amount of money as full season of classic-era Bergerac, justified the head of Entertainment at the BBC"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 30, 2020, 12:10:09 PM
Question Time is meant to hold the Prime Minister to account, it's not a battle.

An assimilation of cultural norms that were first propagated by media like the BBC themselves. EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN AGAINST THIS OR THEY'LL BE NEXT

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

For some reason the BBC is promoting this weeks Draconid meteor shower, even though it's traditionally one of the most underwhelming of all meteor showers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54450553

Maybe it's because they somehow forgot to do their usual over-the-top coverage of the Perseids in August.

Anyway, check out the photo they've used.

idunnosomename

Ooh five every hour!!! In the whole fucking sky!!!

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

You'd see as many sporadic meteors in an hour on any clear night. Ridic-amundo, as the youngsters say.

Paul Calf

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 30, 2020, 12:01:13 PM

fuckin look at this

In Norfolk, they thought that was a leaked prototype of the iPhone 12.

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-54447441

QuoteDrag Race UK star Crystal is suing the actor Laurence Fox.

In a statement on Twitter, Crystal said she "will not stand for homophobic defamation".

The Drag Race UK star claims Mr Fox made comments towards her on Twitter that amount to defamation, a legal term for damaging someone's reputation.

But what do "legal" and "reputation" mean?

Keebleman

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 07, 2020, 04:51:13 PM
Ooh five every hour!!! In the whole fucking sky!!!

Doesn't rate as even a meteor drizzle.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BBC SportWest Brom winger Kamil Grosicki scored a 19-minute hat-trick for Poland in a 5-1 friendly win over Finland.

Poland 5 Finland 1
Grosicki (9' minutes, 18' minutes, 38' minutes), Piatek (53' minutes), Milik (87' minutes)

touchingcloth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 08, 2020, 07:40:27 AM
Poland 5 Finland 1
Grosicki (9' minutes, 18' minutes, 38' minutes), Piatek (53' minutes), Milik (87' minutes)

I don't know much about football, but it's 19' minutes between his first and third goals, so I guess it means that?

Incidentally I have rage about them using apostrophes' and the word minutes' alongside each other and meaning the same thing. I'm going to stick 6" inches of steel in the writer.

Keebleman

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 08, 2020, 07:57:34 AM
I don't know much about football, but it's 19' minutes between his first and third goals, so I guess it means that?

It's 29 minutes.

I'll forgive the Beeb as it was probably just a typo.  You, however, I hold to a higher standard.  Shameful.

touchingcloth

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Keebleman on October 08, 2020, 08:16:13 AM

It's 29 minutes.

I'll forgive the Beeb as it was probably just a typo.  You, however, I hold to a higher standard.  Shameful.

A typo that appeared as a main headline on the front page and in the copy of the article. Still there (granted no-one apart from Polish, pedants and West Brom fans will care)

poo

Weston-super-Mare Journalist University 2:2 now Chief Political Editor and car park man BBC

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 08, 2020, 07:40:27 AM
Poland 5 Finland 1
What does the ′ before "minutes" stand for?

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 08, 2020, 01:17:40 PM

good spot. Fucking hell. COVID infested zero-wage teens running BBC Sport now.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 08, 2020, 01:17:40 PM

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 08, 2020, 07:57:34 AM
Incidentally I have rage about them using apostrophes' and the word minutes' alongside each other and meaning the same thing. I'm going to stick 6" inches of steel in the writer.

It's the "prime" symbol. It gets used along with its double equivalent to represent feet and inches quite commonly, but you'll also see the same symbols to mean minutes and seconds (whether in terms of time or the angles used in coordinates (5'30" to score a goal, in the football stadium 30o 5' 30" North).

Using it is fine, but alongside the word "minutes" is a bit like saying "the temperature in the stadium that day was 28oC degrees Celsius.

BlodwynPig

yeh, we've been tracking that for a few days. exponential at the moment.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 08, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
It's the "prime" symbol. It gets used along with its double equivalent to represent feet and inches quite commonly, but you'll also see the same symbols to mean minutes and seconds (whether in terms of time or the angles used in coordinates (5'30" to score a goal, in the football stadium 30o 5' 30" North).

Using it is fine, but alongside the word "minutes" is a bit like saying "the temperature in the stadium that day was 28oC degrees Celsius.

I know what the symbol is, I was being sarky about the redundancy. I didn't see your post about it this morning, soz.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, I know it's ITV again, but this slip is quite something isn't it? Fucking shill.

idunnosomename

i mean try this pesto: no one you know will die

revolving door from the BBC to Downing Street's press secretary:
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1314500829165096960

really gross. Allegra Stratton, wife of James Forsyth, pol ed of the Spectator. Been in just about every establishment outlet since coming out of Emma (inc Pesto on ITV), to end up working for the worst UK government ever
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegra_Stratton

we need our own drain the swamp. how about. hang the cunts.