Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:41:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-us-2020-54455195

This video is titled "US election: The American suburban women leading a 'wine-fueled rebellion'". There are about 5-10 women who speak to the camera, but only one of them makes any mention of wine. Granted they filmed her talking about wine about five separate times, but it feels like one person't thing rather than the the group's raison d'etre.

Chekky wine: women against Trump.

BlodwynPig

Gotta love those liberal vanity mirror articles the BBC are so keen on.

BlodwynPig

sevendaughters

part of their unceasing praise of Lewis Hamilton, king of the dullest sport, is one of the most painfully white bits of writing ever.

QuoteThe 35-year-old is often decked out in some serious fits which, when you think about it, makes total sense. You don't get to be a global ambassador for Tommy Hilfiger by slacking on the wardrobe front.

In recent years, there has been plenty of hype for streetwear brands worldwide, and Hamilton dons the latest.

Whether it's Off-White, Supreme and Louis Vuitton, or Hilfiger's very own collabs with Kith - Hamilton will flex it on the 'Gram or get papped by reporters when he's rocking it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54478983

frajer

QuoteHamilton will flex it on the 'Gram or get papped by reporters when he's rocking it.

Bazooka

QuoteThe 35-year-old is often decked out in some serious fits which, when you think about it, makes total sense

As if identifying that Hamilton is rich as hell, is solving some kind of logic puzzle you get in a Christmas cracker.

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 12, 2020, 02:25:55 PM
part of their unceasing praise of Lewis Hamilton, king of the dullest sport, is one of the most painfully white bits of writing ever.
Quotee
The 35-year-old is often decked out in some serious fits which, when you think about it, makes total sense. You don't get to be a global ambassador for Tommy Hilfiger by slacking on the wardrobe front.

In recent years, there has been plenty of hype for streetwear brands worldwide, and Hamilton dons the latest.

Whether it's Off-White, Supreme and Louis Vuitton, or Hilfiger's very own collabs with Kith - Hamilton will flex it on the 'Gram or get papped by reporters when he's rocking it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54478983

That's an astonishing collection of words.

I assume "fits" is outfits and "collabs" is collaborations, but yet they're not given apostrophes while 'Gram is.

Kith.

touchingcloth

'Wis is well known 'round The 'Verstone as a broom broom man who be 'rivin' wicked qui' fas' round them corn's.

frajer

Quote from: Bazooka on October 12, 2020, 04:35:13 PM

QuoteThe 35-year-old is often decked out in some serious fits which, when you think about it, makes total sense

As if identifying that Hamilton is rich as hell, is solving some kind of logic puzzle you get in a Christmas cracker.

The "when you think about it" makes this a strong contender for worst sentence ever written. It reminds me of the gumphy bollocks I'd pad out 4000-word essays with.

touchingcloth

Quote from: frajer on October 12, 2020, 05:38:35 PM

The "when you think about it" makes this a strong contender for worst sentence ever written. It reminds me of the gumphy bollocks I'd pad out 4000-word essays with.

It's somehow worse that it comes between commas within the sentence rather than just being bolted on at the end. At the end of the sentence it could be dismissed as just padding out the word count but, when you think about it, putting it inside the sentence makes it seem like it's leading up to a point worth making.

Captain Z

Lewis Hamilton - no more people who, when you think about it, are decked out in serious fits.

buttgammon

The only fits I'm interested in are the ones of rage that normally appear when I read shite like this.

frajer

Yeah but, when you think about it, it makes total sense.

touchingcloth

Some of Stephen King's novels, when you think about It, are very long.

Fambo Number Mive

Compare how the BBC covers the Czech Republic and the UK

QuoteThe Czech Republic is imposing a new partial lockdown from midnight (22:00 GMT) to combat coronavirus.

There's a touch of Kremlinology to interpreting the official Covid response here. Statements must be viewed through a prism of political realities, in a land governed by a coalition of rivals.

But every so often a statement is so sobering it is difficult to dismiss it as point-scoring. On Monday it was provided by Czech Interior Minister Jan Hamacek: "80,000 active cases is a problem, 120,000 is the point of no return. We're now at 61,000."

Those cases are now rising faster than anywhere else in Europe.

Mr Hamacek has been among those calling for a full lockdown; the new rules have instead been described as "soft lockdown". But will they be enough? The sense amongst those who must obey them is no.

And if this isn't enough, and Mr Hamacek's warning of "mobile morgues in car parks" becomes true, who is to blame?

Not, it seems, Prime Minister Andrej Babis. The man accused of overruling tougher measures in September was asked if he now felt a sense of responsibility for the country's current predicament.

"No," he replied, at the close of an increasingly testy online press briefing. "My conscience is clear."

Imagine if the BBC wrote things strongly about the far worse situation in the UK. Still, you don't get many BBC journalists hoping to work for the Czech government.

touchingcloth

bgmnts

Haha a stupidly complex, pointless fed to the drooling masses by way of bizarre cake metaphors and pretty graphics.

You like cake dont you you fat cows? Eat my covid cake!

frajer

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 13, 2020, 06:06:32 PM
England's new Covid alert tier system explained... with cake

"Don't know what a tier is? We've got you."

Fuck. Me.

This is getting beyond tiresome. Every time a fucking tiered system comes around, off they go with their silly little metaphorical whimsy.

'Mr Trump instead targeted antifa, a loose-knit movement of mainly far-left activists blamed by the US Department of Justice for civil disorder in US cities during racial justice protests over the last few months'

BBC website doing Trump's job for him.  When did anti-fascism become a 'far-left' position?

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54551058

notjosh

Quote from: Captain Z on October 12, 2020, 08:08:23 PM
Lewis Hamilton - no more people who, when you think about it, are decked out in serious fits.

Name another.

Paul Calf

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on October 16, 2020, 03:15:58 AM
'Mr Trump instead targeted antifa, a loose-knit movement of mainly far-left activists blamed by the US Department of Justice for civil disorder in US cities during racial justice protests over the last few months'

BBC website doing Trump's job for him.  When did anti-fascism become a 'far-left' position?

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54551058

When centrists became fascists.

Sebastian Cobb

I guess this is what you can have if your political editors aren't all bent client journalists:
https://twitter.com/repeattofade/status/1317725051286884354

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54584127

Fake naked photos of thousands of women shared online

Faked nude images of more than 100,000 women have been created from social media pictures and shared online, according to a new report.

Clothes are digitally removed from pictures of women by Artificial Technology (AI), and spread on the messaging app Telegram.

With "Artificial Technology" being capitalised I assumed it must be a company or product name. Alas, just shite writing. Shiteing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 20, 2020, 05:52:27 PM

With "Artificial Technology" being capitalised I assumed it must be a company or product name. Alas, just shite writing. Shiteing.

AI, I as in Technology. Just show us your digital tits.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 20, 2020, 05:52:27 PM

They've changed "Technology" to "Intelligence" now,  it have added:

The BBC has tested the software and received poor results.

That was your licence fee, that.

Sebastian Cobb

I know this isn't news but still.

How long is this show? You could get it down to about 2 minutes if you didn't piss about.