Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:42:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 04, 2020, 01:52:35 AM
They've changed this now. To "forthcoming sci-fi epic Dune".
Pandering to fanboys. It clearly is a remake by any dictionary definition.

Dex Sawash

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 04, 2020, 10:20:09 AM
Pandering to fanboys. It clearly is a remake by any dictionary definition.

From Wikipedia:

"A film remake uses an earlier movie as its main source material, rather than returning to the earlier movie's source material. For example, 2001's Ocean's Eleven is a remake of Ocean's 11, while 1989's Batman is a re-interpretation of the comic book source material which also inspired 1966's Batman. In 1998, Gus Van Sant produced an almost shot-for-shot remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 film Psycho."

popcorn

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 04, 2020, 03:43:26 PM
From Wikipedia:

"A film remake uses an earlier movie as its main source material, rather than returning to the earlier movie's source material. For example, 2001's Ocean's Eleven is a remake of Ocean's 11, while 1989's Batman is a re-interpretation of the comic book source material which also inspired 1966's Batman. In 1998, Gus Van Sant produced an almost shot-for-shot remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 film Psycho."

That definition makes sense but that is so badly written. It uses the terms film and movie interchangeably (I know they're the same but pick one ffs)  and the Batman example is confusing (it could be taken as an example of a remake).

touchingcloth

Call it what you like - Dune's a big pile of shit.

idunnosomename

He is the Kwizatz Haderach
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar

that is the extent of my knowledge of Dune

Dex Sawash

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 04, 2020, 09:30:14 PM
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar right up the shitter

Funny you never learnt the best bit

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on December 04, 2020, 09:13:25 PM
That definition makes sense but that is so badly written. It uses the terms film and movie interchangeably (I know they're the same but pick one ffs)  and the Batman example is confusing (it could be taken as an example of a remake).

The word 'movie' is so childish anyway.

Cerys

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 04, 2020, 09:30:14 PM
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar

It's been too long since I last listened to that album.  This must be remedied.

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 04, 2020, 09:18:19 PM
Call it what you like - Dune's a big pile of shit.

Actually, I think it's a big pile of sand. Not sure.

Cerys

Norton Canes

"During the show, Jordan repeated an iconic five word mantra: 'Happy place, happy place, Turf Moor', during his toughest moments."

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55254082

QuoteA community in northern Minnesota is in shock after a random act of kindness led to more than 900 cars paying for each other's meals at a drive-through.

Twonty Gostelow

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-55057717

Quote[COVID] wasn't designated a pandemic until March. On 30 January, there had been 7,736 cases in China, with 170 deaths, and fewer than 100 cases in 118 other countries.

BlodwynPig

poo

The BBC was definitely good at one point, wasn't it?

Fambo Number Mive

BBC News Online is talking about Dionne Warwick "winning twitter"

QuoteYes, today we would like to talk about an 80-year-old singer who is responsible for some of the most iconic soul songs of all time.

And she's also really good at Twitter.

Now look, when it comes to people in their eighties on Twitter, expectations are low.

Remember the dad who thought it was the same as Google and wrote things like "cold toes" and "what does email cost"?

But it's been hard to miss Dionne's contribution to Twitter in 2020 - perhaps partly because everything else on there has been so bleak.

So while other people have been tweeting about coronavirus, injustice and James Corden pretending to be gay in a Netflix film, Dionne has been tweeting at Chance The Rapper to ask him to explain his name, at The Weekend to justify his spelling, to ask whether she should give Animal Crossing a try and to support LGBTQ+ rights - among many other things...Of course, there might be people who aren't quite sure who Dionne Warwick is - other than a really good Twitter account.

And that's OK, because most of her really famous songs were released in the 1960s, which was literally in a different century.

But even so, songs like Walk On By, Anyone Who Had A Heart and Say A Little Prayer are so well known that you've probably heard them at least once in your life...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 19, 2020, 12:05:12 PM
BBC News Online is talking about Dionne Warwick "winning twitter"

*walks to shuttered back room, retrieves shotgun from cabinet and wanders into the long woods.*

touchingcloth

QuoteRemember the dad who thought it was the same as Google and wrote things like "cold toes" and "what does email cost"?

I don't recall to that.

idunnosomename

touchingcloth

If he had an Amatrad Emailer he'd be absolutely within his rights to ask what email cost.

Cold toes.

imitationleather

An aunt I was very close to got an Amstrad Emailer shortly before she died.

I'm actually really fucked off it features in the background of my final memories of her.

buttgammon

Funny how they'll expect us to know what someone's elderly father thought about email but assume zero knowledge in other areas (phrases like 'London, which is the capital of England' on the regional news for London etc).

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on December 19, 2020, 01:59:03 PM
An aunt I was very close to got an Amstrad Emailer shortly before she died.

I'm actually really fucked off it features in the background of my final memories of her.

Why were you so close to her? Was she a conjoined aunt?

imitationleather

Nah, I used to live with her when there were issues with my parents.

NoSleep

The E-Mailer was purpose built to rip off old ladies. They were relatively cheap and people would have bought them as gifts for granny to "keep her up with the times", people not realising that they were sold at a loss with the intent of recovery of the loss by the exorbitant charges via the user's phone bill, just for having the thing connected to the phone line.

Buelligan

Is it too late to say how much I hate The Cunt Alan Sugar?

Appalling Cunt