Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

God there was a bit on Today where i had to listen to that annoying woman from the sky at night tell me what a fucking meteorite is.

"Shooting star is a misnomer, stars are actually huge!"

Our press's obsession with meteor shower events is one of its many congenital lazinesses. Like for instance the moon is out at the moment and youd have to get up at 3am really. And you might see a few whizzes in the sky who cares. Buy a telescope and look at fucking Saturn mate

Fambo Number Mive

That story about an employee from Italy accused of not having been to work for fifteen years while still receiving a salary is still on the front page. It's hardly important news.

Icehaven

There's a plug for a new show on the front page at the moment that says ;

Joe Lycett's back in charge!
Twelve of Britain's most talented sewers compete to win.

I genuinely thought it meant sewers as in sewage channels, but apparently it's referring to people who sew. It's a perfectly legitimate term, but it doesn't look right does it?

idunnosomename

i'd love to see joe lycett down 12 different channels of effluent to decide which one is the best

jobotic

Reading out his made up email correspondence with the council to some rats and floaters.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 22, 2021, 02:09:05 PM
i'd love to see joe lycett down 12 different channels of effluent to decide which one is the best

we're hiring actually

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: icehaven on April 22, 2021, 01:18:56 PM
There's a plug for a new show on the front page at the moment that says ;

Joe Lycett's back in charge!
Twelve of Britain's most talented sewers compete to win.

I genuinely thought it meant sewers as in sewage channels, but apparently it's referring to people who sew. It's a perfectly legitimate term, but it doesn't look right does it?

Reminds me of when I tuned into Think of A Number last week expecting to see Johnny Ball informatively larking about, but it was just Dr Hilary Jones asking the nation to vote for their favourite anaesthetist.

Johnny Yesno

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56858188

We never had a school strip club at my school. I guess that's what paying fees gets you.

idunnosomename

QuoteExposing himself to the woman in a shared hotel room, although it was agreed this was not "malicious or sexually motivated"

Icing on the cake his trousers fell down

touchingcloth

Nice that the article included one of the photos taken by the teacher while he was wankered.

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56859751

QuoteTeenage climate activist Greta Thunberg has updated her Twitter biography to describe herself as a "bunny hugger".

Oh do fuck off. Constructing articles around actual news topics solely by pasting in tweets with "@suchandsuch said..." is bad enough, but if they're going to make Twitter the fucking subject of the news I'm going to go berserk.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 23, 2021, 05:29:31 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56859751

Oh do fuck off. Constructing articles around actual news topics solely by pasting in tweets with "@suchandsuch said..." is bad enough, but if they're going to make Twitter the fucking subject of the news I'm going to go berserk.

UK politics

touchingcloth

Quote from: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210503-are-men-dominated-offices-the-future-of-the-workplace
Are men-dominated offices the future of the workplace?

Summat clunky about "men-dominated". I'd expect "male-dominated" or even "man-dominated".

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

I saw this clickable headline on the site, and wasn't baited to click it, of course:

Why your cat is both 'dead and alive', according to physics.

Grammatically wrong, orthographically wrong, scientifically wrong. At just eleven words, it's a lot of bang for your bullshit buck.

idunnosomename

It's a thought experiment to show the absurdity of trying to put the systems of quantum mechanics on to the observable world ffs

dissolute ocelot

True if you live next to a mysterious pet graveyard with a misspelt sign.

Butchers Blind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57149071

QuoteThe term 99 Flake is often thought to indicate the price of the ice cream it accompanies but Cadbury says: "The real reason for "99" Flake being so called has been lost in the mists of time."

"In the days of the monarchy in Italy, the King has a specially chosen guard consisting of 99 men, and subsequently anything really special or first-class was known as '99' - and that is how '99' Flake came by its name," Cadbury said.

Fambo Number Mive

BBC has an article on serial killer, child abuser, rapist and all-round loathsome piece of shit Fred West linked from the main page with "Fred West: Who was he and what did he do".

You'd think they'd give some kind of warning in the title about West's grim antics rather than make it sound like it was one of their usual historical profiles. He didn't invent the steam engine or score record goals for Arsenal, he committed horrific crimes.

frajer

It's even worse than it looks, they meant to put Dibnah.

BlodwynPig

Keebleman

That article contains this sentence, about the fate of Catherine Costello:

QuoteWest later admitted to her murder in 1994.

The murder wasn't in 1994, West's confession to it was.

BlodwynPig

M-CORP

This is probably deserving of its own thread, but following today's inquiry findings, confirming that Martin Bashir did deceive Earl Spencer with fake bank statements in order to obtain his interview with Diana, the BBC, and Amol Rajan in particular, are doing their best to play down the issue in a typical, non-sensationalist BBC way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57189371

QuoteThe Dyson Report shows a catalogue of moral, professional and editorial failures at the BBC in the 1990s, which occur on three main levels.
(...)
There was a "cover up". The origin of the cover up is not clear. But no matter: the BBC conspired, on vast scale, to deceive the public it is funded by and serves.
This report will not just injure the BBC, but scar it. And it should be granted that though it shows the historic failures of BBC journalists, it also shows the power and merit of journalism.
It is thanks to determined reporters, not least at the Daily Mail group, that we today have the first full account of the real story behind the most remarkable - and arguably consequential - interview in television history.

That's the BBC's own media editor speaking. Not the Mail.

Uh, yeah, Beeb - when it's announced scandals like this have happened, you're supposed to try and draw attention away from them and bury them, not have them as the biggest main story on the BBC News homepage so you make yourselves an easy target for everyone who hates you. But anyway, I do love reading articles on the BBC's website that go on about how the BBC failed.

Paul Calf

Yeah, that's how Britain works: the BBC and the rest of the media defauding and deceiving working people for decades, runing their only chance in decades to et some change that might benefit them but what scars it is when they tell lies to some overprivieged moon-faced fucking sloane with a silver spoon jammed up her arse.

BlodwynPig

Is there a new Diana film out soon? Why drag this shit up now.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2021, 05:53:48 PM
Is there a new Diana film out soon? Why drag this shit up now.
The Mail and Express love a Diana story. Earl Spencer (Di's brother) has also been massively exploiting this; he's a huge self-publicist constantly exploiting his dead sister and doubtless wants to drum up customers for his stately home. Plus Bashir is half-dead, so he won't sue or spill the beans.