Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:21:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2021, 05:53:48 PM
Is there a new Diana film out soon? Why drag this shit up now.

Panorama investigation into the interview tonight. But I agree, Blodwyn, I think it's much ado about nothing by this point, which is why I found Amol's reaction a bit OTT.

BlodwynPig

Oh there is a Diana film coming out with Kristen Stewart called...wait for it...

"Spencer"

fucking hell

touchingcloth

I expect she'd have been all over the news soon anyway. It would have been her 60th birthday in a few weeks' time and you just know that would've been the perfect excuse for a rash of "What Would She Look Like Now And What Would She Be Doing?" articles.

Butchers Blind

I mean we all had problems with Phil but I think we can all agree he made the right decision regarding Diana.

idunnosomename

Of course this navel-gazing onanism is a good excuse for the BBC not to bother taking a side on are brave boys being dragged through vexatious lawsuits about things like killing children in NI

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2021, 07:44:37 PM
Oh there is a Diana film coming out with Kristen Stewart called...wait for it...

"Spencer"

fucking hell

WHAT! I thought this was an upcoming Michael Crawford biopic. Ruined my day this has.

dissolute ocelot

^ More likely to be a biopic of the cunt from Made In Chelsea.

The BBC should push for it to be illegal for the media to use deception in reporting, that would shut the newspapers up.

Dr Rock

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2021, 12:31:47 PM
Of course this navel-gazing onanism is a good excuse for the BBC not to bother taking a side on are brave boys being dragged through vexatious lawsuits about things like killing children in NI

Or that Brexit is a fucking disaster.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 21, 2021, 03:43:02 PM

The BBC should push for it to be illegal for the media to use deception in reporting, that would shut the newspapers up.

I thought it was?

Anyhoo the whole Bashir thing isn't too much of a revelation. Finding out journos use loathsome cuntish tricks to bag a scoop is like finding out the Pope shits in the woods.

What always strikes me is the way the Beeb reports these homegrown scandals. They always seem like they are reporting on some other organisation. I know the past is a different country but come on?

turnstyle

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

"Bee swarm thwarts Colchester gym-goer's journey home*"

*For 10 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-57148609

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 22, 2021, 05:59:22 AM
I thought it was?

Anyhoo the whole Bashir thing isn't too much of a revelation. Finding out journos use loathsome cuntish tricks to bag a scoop is like finding out the Pope shits in the woods.
Not at all illegal to use lies and trickery, and even low-key theft, blackmail, and fraud are common. IPSO the press regulator explicitly allows it if it's necessary to get a story in the public interest. Section 10 "ii) Engaging in misrepresentation or subterfuge, including by agents or intermediaries, can generally be justified only in the public interest and then only when the material cannot be obtained by other means." And the British press generally believes finding out tidbits about the royal family is in the public interest (because they get public money, head charities, are role models, and/or are involved in public life).

popcorn

Yeah, think of all the investigative documentaries you've seen along the lines of "We posed as a potential buyer and went to meet the..." etc.

BlodwynPig

Fucking nutty things going on on Radio 4 now. Presenter shutting down a caller talking about how the BBC dealt with a previous complaint "you started your call with this point, we'll have to say goodbye to you Jonathan". A caller laying into Boris as his prorogation affair being worse than the BBC then going on to attack the BBC's treatment of Mary Whitehouse. The presenter is having a meltdown too. It's like a right-wing civil war.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Taking the 'ca' out of Local News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-57329077

"The crash happened not at Spaghetti Junction but on the A14 near Godmanchester..."

idunnosomename

i guess you could say that lorry with tomato puree in it had an accident and spilt its cargo everywhere!!!!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Echo Valley 2-6809

Would love the BBC to update the story with "However, the incident also seemed to confuse others, with user idunnosomename saying, 'Police are combing the area!''"

Paul Calf

BlodwynPig

Norton Canes

Cold Meat Platter

jobotic

I say "obstruction?"

You say "tomato"

Let's close the whole road off.

BlodwynPig

Fambo Number Mive

QuotePrime Minister Boris Johnson has been entertained by some of the pupils at St Issey CofE Primary School in the village of St Issey near Wadebridge.

Johnson was asked some tough questions by his hosts:

"How can we stop people using petrol cars?"

PM: That's a very good question William - this country is going to be one of the first countries in the world.... you know, that in just nine years, nine years time, you won't be allowed to buy a new petrol or diesel engine car - you know that?

How are you going stop fisherman getting too much fish?

PM: Well, the rules at the moment are there to protect the little fish, so that when the fishermen catch the fish - they have to throw, which is still capable of growing and having babies themselves, they have to throw them back. That's what the rules say, and the fishermen actually understand that they're pretty good at doing it.

If you have a BBQ on beach, you don't throw plastic in the seas?

PM: You don't! What do you do with it? Put it in the bin? What happens then?

Children: It gets recycled

PM: Well let's hope so. What if it gets sent to some other country? That would be bad. So to you need to reduce the amount.

My daddy can't buy electric cars because they're too expensive

PM: We need to get the price down, but one good thing about electric cars is they're much cheaper to run.

How does he have time to do this pointless nonsense when he's meant to be working every day to end this pandemic?

He's sitting outside with the children and a teacher but they aren't socially distanced.

frajer

Love the idea that he even remotely gives a shit about any of these children's futures.

"My daddy can't afford an electric car."
"Well uh I can only apologise that um your father is a failure. Has he, has he considered asking the taxpayer to foot the bill? I've never had any issues, not any that I can't dodge anyway aheheh! Yes, next question, the thin child who's had to resort to eating his own jumper."

Pseudopath

The quality of writing on the BBC News website appears to have increased dramatically this morning:

Icehaven

Quoting "Greaves" without ever explaining who he actually is.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33682878.amp

(presumably it's Lucien Greaves, but that's never established in the article.)

touchingcloth

Does having a FUCKING RANK NEW MELTY FACE UGH MAKES ME SICK YOU BIG FREAK really make you count as two people?