Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: MrMrs on September 07, 2021, 01:10:13 PM
I don't even know what that means

When I've heard it before it's been synonymous with fuck and chuck, which I guess they weren't talking about in the context of NFTs, unless it stands for Non-re-Fuckable Trysts.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 03, 2021, 06:25:33 PM
Not saying your guys are but a permanently broken card machine in a independent shop is a good sign someone's palming off some of the profit before the taxman sees it.

I don't mind places that refuse to take card and don't have the machine, fair enough your rules, but places that have the machine then get arsey when you see it and ask to use it annoy me a bit.

Understandably!

Nah, these peeps don't even have a machine.  Literally just Mum, Dad and daughter in a tiny but clean shop.

Fambo Number Mive

Is it just me who sees a story from Jan 2021 about Northern Ireland's then lockdown when I click on the Coronavirus sub section of the BBC website?

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: MrMrs on September 07, 2021, 01:10:13 PM
I don't even know what that means

Buy them cheap, talk them up a lot, get other people to buy (to force the price up), then sell an otherwise pointless bitcoin spinoff that is essentially worthless

phes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58684726

QuoteHe won plaudits for his portrayal of the gay hit man

Omar Little was a what now??? If only he'd stood up and testified under oath to his career in one of the most famous and memorable scenes in the show

phes

Was he? I don't recall him taking contract killings. He was a robber, wasn't he?

MrMrs

I suppose his role fluctuated. A mercenary maybe? Not that big a mistake really

Keebleman

From a story about the Facebook outage.  It is quoting a guy called Dan Sodergren.

Quote"The problem they've got - is because they do it all themselves - all their internal email, chat function and everything else goes down - including, most probably, access into Facebook itself.

It was posted half an hour ago so it may be corrected, but why couldn't someone have cast an eye over it beforehand?  There's no hurry, it's not a breaking news story where info is coming in second by second.  This is about Facebook's explanation of what went wrong.

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-58825741

A pair of rare diamond and emerald spectacles from an unknown Indian princely treasury will be sold at an auction in London later this month.

The spectacles will be offered at auction for £1.5m-2.5m ($2m-$3.4m) each, the auction house said.

Ffs.

Paul Calf

Let's go halves on the pair. Then we can have one each.

touchingcloth

How many brace of braces do I need per pair of pairs of trousers?

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/58856968

QuoteBriton's Lando Norris came close to victory in the previous race and remains fourth in the drivers' title

I like Norris, but my all-time favourite has to be Northern Island's Eddie Irvine.

Ambient Sheep

I doubt that was Andrew Benson's fault, as he's a very good writer.  That picture caption was probably down to the twonk who maintains the BBC F1 website, probably the same twat that fails to put the online commentary link up until five minutes or more after it starts.

Fambo Number Mive

So he'll speak to the Queen every week but he doesn't think attending Cobra meetings is a priority? Does the Queen even want to speak to Johnson every week?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 30, 2021, 06:52:17 PM
So he'll speak to the Queen every week but he doesn't think attending Cobra meetings is a priority? Does the Queen even want to speak to Johnson every week?

She does, yes. She's that type of cunt.

Icehaven

Yes this definitely warrants being the second biggest story on the site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59325398

Two tourists get a fine for drinking a beer in the Colosseum at 4am. What?!

idunnosomename

QuoteThat's a pretty expensive round.

oh fuck OFF. this was two pissheads trespassing. imagine if I broke into Westminster Abbey cloister and had a few tins. then imagine if I got caught!!! wouldn't get away without a fine, would I

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAnd if you're thinking of going yourself - make sure to visit during opening hours. You can always enjoy a drink at one of the city's many bars afterwards.

Thanks BBC, I had no idea Rome, a major international destination with a population of over 4 million, allows oneself to enjoy a drink at their many bars.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 18, 2021, 08:47:19 AMThanks BBC, I had no idea Rome, a major international destination with a population of over 4 million, allows oneself to enjoy a drink at their many bars.
Looking forward to a detailed BBC guide on how to walk into an Italian bar, purchase a beer, and pay for it after with funny foreign money. All funded by my hard-earned taxes grrrrr.

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59382870

QuoteWaukesha Christmas Parade: Three dancing grannies among Wisconsin victims

Four of the five people killed by an SUV which ploughed through a Wisconsin Christmas parade on Sunday were members of the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, a local dance troupe.

Three of the victims were dancing grannies themselves while the fourth victim was married to one of them and helped out with the group when required.

These women were literally dancing grannies in that they were grandmothers who, one assumes, went to the parade to dance.

However as members of the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies surely you'd only want to refer to them as that in capital letters? Somehow the lower car letters reduces them to only that.

They have biographies of the women who were killed, where thankfully it wasn't in the form:

Name (age): Granny. Danced.

BlodwynPig

Didn't get it from that quote, but who were these ladies?

touchingcloth

They were one of the groups parading in Wisconsin who got rammed by that driver.

Cold Meat Platter

This from an article about a teacher who has been sacked after video emerged of her hitting a horse:

"It was viewed more than two million times and condemned on social media by celebrities such as Judy Murray, Russell Tovey and John Bishop - who described it as "inexcusable"."

chveik

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60148482

This is quoting some gobshite "defence contractor", but it's the biggest load of nonsense waffle and they make no attempt to clarify any of the jargon or terms of reference:

Quote"It's vitally important the US gets this back," she says. "The F-35 is basically like a flying computer. It's designed to link up other assets - what the Air Force calls 'linking sensors to shooters'."

China doesn't have that technology so getting their hands on it would give them a huge leap forward, she says.
"If they can get into the 35's networking capabilities, it effectively undermines the whole carrier philosophy."

Asked if there were echoes of the Cold War here, she says: "It's all about who's the biggest dog in the park! This is basically The Hunt For Red October meets The Abyss - it's a brilliant three-act play."

Link up other assets? Carrier philosophy? Two films I've never seen and know nothing about other than that they are set under the sea?