Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

R.I.P. Rutger Hauer.

Started by Deanjam, July 24, 2019, 06:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Rutger Hauer has died aged 75. One of those actors who always lifted a movie for me.

NoSleep

Apart from Reverend, where he appears on the DVD cover for longer than he is in the actual movie (still managed to steal the show for how little it was worth).

He reminded me of Bela Lugosi inasmuch as he seemed to be having fun with the roles he played even though most people first think of that one role he played that time. RIP Rutger.

Sin Agog

For someone who was only programmed to live four years, 75 isn't too bad.

Saw a weird, underrated movie of his a while back called 'The Salute of the Jugger' about these people in a post-apocalyptic wasteland going about from town to town trying to get this Rollerball-esque sport they invented off the ground in which you kick about a dog's skull.  Was surprisingly good.

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

This thread should have been titled "Time to die".

Deanjam

Quote from: NoSleep on July 24, 2019, 06:27:31 PM
This thread should have been titled "Time to die".

I can only apologise.

batwings

Quote from: Deanjam on July 24, 2019, 06:16:39 PM
Rutger Hauer has died aged 75. One of those actors who always lifted a movie for me.

Often seen sneaking out of HMV in a bulky coat, was Rutger.

But seriously, I agree. Such a presence.

Jake Thingray

Dear oh dear, this is a shock. The Klaus Kinski of his time, although I'm sure he was a nicer person.

St_Eddie

Damn.  I will forever remember him best for Blade Runner and The Hitcher.  I also have a huge soft spot for the BBC mini-series Merlin (1998), in which he played a megalomaniacal King.

R.I.P.

NoSleep

He played a Fairy grandfather in True Blood, which was fun.

Was a very welcome presence in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, one of the greatest films ever made

greenman

Guess that desides what I'm watching tonight.

RIP

the ouch cube

Quote from: Jake Thingray on July 24, 2019, 06:34:52 PM
Dear oh dear, this is a shock. The Klaus Kinski of his time, although I'm sure he was a nicer person.

I often thought there was a Kinski vibe to him, those startled-but-fascinated animal eyes peering out ( he always seemed to be sneaking a look round a corner), and to the best of my knowledge he was a nice guy.

John Ryder is the quintessential force of nature serial killer, never mind all that Friday The 13th shite

bgmnts

Hobo With a Shotgun for me tonight I suppose.

RIP

mothman

And in 2019 too, like Roy Batty.

wosl

Haven't yet got around to seeing Blade Runner, but I really enjoyed him in Olmi's Legend Of The Holy Drinker (only dug it out to watch a couple of weeks ago, curiously enough).  The film itself is a bit of a frustrating watch; it has some wonderfully evocative little scenes, tableaux in effect, pervaded with lonely tranquility, but the whole is more disjointed than impressionistic.  Hauer is really good in it though, serving up a strong, sensitive, committed performance as an emigre barfly approaching the final skids (Dominique Pinon is also very good in the few scenes he pops up in).  Sad to learn of his passing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2019, 07:16:38 PM
And in 2019 too, like Roy Batty.

Oh, wow!  His devotion to the performance was impeccable, to the last.

Glebe

Sad news, farewell to a screen hero. Anyone remember low-budget Se7en-style horror Bone Daddy?

How could anyone forget the Guinness ads he was in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXmHMLPmiM

They've aged really well. 

And it was only last night I was thinking about how great he was in The Hitcher.

R.I.P

Bazooka

Gutted, I think The Hitcher is the perfect thriller, very few actors have played a flawless psychopath, Hauer could.

George White

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2019, 06:48:24 PM
Damn.  I will forever remember him best for Blade Runner and The Hitcher.  I also have a huge soft spot for the BBC mini-series Merlin (1998), in which he played a megalomaniacal King.

R.I.P.
C4 actually, but...

St_Eddie

Quote from: George White on July 25, 2019, 07:49:25 AM
C4 actually, but...

Oh, yes.  Of course.  How silly of me.

buzby

Although he's mostly remembered for BR (and he was entirely happy with that), he did light up anything that he cropped up in. I see nobody has mentioned Soldier Of Orange yet - the 1977 Paul Verhoeven WWII Dutch Resistance drama that he starred in and which brought him to the attention of Ridley Scott.

In BR it was the perfect meeting of actor and director - Scott, a director who was more concerned with the visual side and happy to give the actors the freedom to develop their characters and Hauer, an actor intelligent and instinctive enough to know just what the character and film needed. Hauer referred to his relationship with Scott on the film as being like a beautiful dance.

Shit Good Nose

Genuinely upset about this.  Tears in rain.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Nighthawks, the early '80s thriller in which he plays a terrorist tussling with Sly Stallone's maverick (and bearded) NYC cop, is a bit of a mess, but Hauer is brilliant and the film isn't without its gritty yet silly charms.

It also put him on the Hollywood map, so for that we must be eternally grateful.

Sin Agog

I love how incredibly sober and well-judged The Hitcher is for an '80s horror film.  Perhaps, perhaps the almost grizzly death of Jennifer Jason Leigh might land on the OTT side, but everything about that movie feels mythic and perfectly done.  Maybe the director getting a dry run by making a miniature version of the same movie helped stop him taking any misdirections?  It's great. There's something almost parental about Hauer's character.  Like this whole movie is an extreme version of taking your teenage son on a camping trip.  Apparently JJL only signed on to do it 'cause she loved working with Hauer so much in Flesh & Blood. 

beanheadmcginty

Blind Fury should be held in as high regard as Commando as far as I'm concerned.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: goinggoinggone on July 25, 2019, 01:04:51 AM
How could anyone forget the Guinness ads he was in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXmHMLPmiM

They've aged really well. 

And it was only last night I was thinking about how great he was in The Hitcher.

R.I.P

Read that as Teri Hatcher

St_Eddie

I don't know what it is about The Hitcher, but it always makes me peckish for finger food.

Mister Six

Wayhey!

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 25, 2019, 10:05:27 PM
I love how incredibly sober and well-judged The Hitcher is for an '80s horror film.  Perhaps, perhaps the almost grizzly death of Jennifer Jason Leigh might land on the OTT side, but everything about that movie feels mythic and perfectly done.

It also looks fucking lush. I know what you mean about sober, but the direction and cinematography have a really otherworldly, eerie air for me. There's a show of a car riding out of a heat haze and fire that's absolutely nightmarish. And that roar as Hauer makes his final attack. Brilliant.