Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

R.I.P. Rutger Hauer.

Started by Deanjam, July 24, 2019, 06:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

It's a total nightmare, I downloaded and watched it soon as I heard he'd died.

He's behind and ahead of your man at all times. It's a film full of impossibilities, full of death that you never see, gorgeously shot and soothingly scored. I love it absolutely.

It's a properly class film, and he's excellent in it. I could watch him make facial expression for hours.

Bad Ambassador

The Hitcher could be his finest performance. Playing a character who is just chaotically evil, for no apparent reason, but still convincing and plausible, is quite the challenge. He offers so many shades of the same performance, we forget at the end of the film we know literally nothing about him.

mothman

Never saw the final Guinness ads as really one of his - just a brief loop of him in a TV screen to establish some sort of continuity. And, he didn't actually like Guinness. At all - reportedly had a bucket on set to spit it out...

bgmnts

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 25, 2019, 10:10:22 PM
Blind Fury should be held in as high regard as Commando as far as I'm concerned.

Steady on.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on July 26, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
Steady on.

Agreed, Ive never seen a film where the juxtaposition of tone from the opening sequence to the start of the plot is so jarring as is seen in Commando.

Opening sequence, John Matrix is enjoying quality time with his daughter, enjoying nature, working hard. About 8 minutes in he beats a man in a logic war by saying "Wrong" then shoots him in the head.

I'm going to watch The Hitcher today, god speed sweet prince.

Blumf

Quote from: Bazooka on July 27, 2019, 01:48:16 AM
Agreed, Ive never seen a film where the juxtaposition of tone from the opening sequence to the start of the plot is so jarring as is seen in Commando.

Miracle Mile?

McChesney Duntz

This may be my favorite Hauer performance, he said, only half-jokingly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIOPGttopk

Hauer-fest

Surviving The Game - -T, Hauer, Busey, Salieri. Slumps markedly when Busey goes down. He's genuinely electric in his limited role.

Flesh+Blood - Now this one does kind of hold up, in a grubby sword and, oh, science, I guess, way. Our Rutger is a grade-A piece of work throughout.

Blind Fury - work of art. even has a samurai.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 29, 2019, 09:07:43 PM

Blind Fury - work of art. even has a samurai.

Finally, somebody agrees with me.

colacentral

Only just realised that Roy Batty sounds like a Viz character.

NoSleep

Sounds like Nora's husband to me.

Finished off Hauer-fest with:

The Hitcher - genuinely great, even if my VHS put a dirty great big streak of noise through a middle quarter of the screen

Blade Runner - iconic.

oy vey

Quick drinking game... how many times did you see the Tears in Rain scene posted on your Facebook timeline? One Guinness for each post. A bottle of methylated spirits if you were a poster.