Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covers That Are Better...

Started by Lordofthefiles, July 25, 2019, 01:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 29, 2019, 12:59:39 AM
"Tony and Mike wrote that one, sweetie. Do you know Why Should I Lend You Mine (When You've Broken Yours Off Already)?"

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2019, 05:58:06 PM
But, in fairness, written with the specific intention that Phil would sing it on the album regardless of who ended up taking over from Gabriel, so it would have been Trick's equivalent of More Fool Me or For Absent Friends.

It's also been a favourite of Phil's since it was recorded, and he was instrumental in putting it forward for the final tour in 2007.

But, of all the Genesis songs that he wrote and/or recorded, I'll grant you it probably doesn't have the strongest personal connection.

At least it wasn't Visions of Angels or Dusk.

I'll stop being silly. That wasn't the Collins-penned Brand X track I first thought of, by the way. I changed it for one that might have sounded weird in that context. (No prizes for guessing...)

I still wonder who were the many famous names (according to Banks) who auditioned to be Gabriel's replacement. Nick Lowe's the only one I've heard of.

Dusty Substance

Peggy Lee's version of Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay is not only better than the original, it's better than almost anything ever recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc0kRo-hMc

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 29, 2019, 09:04:53 PM
I still wonder who were the many famous names (according to Banks) who auditioned to be Gabriel's replacement. Nick Lowe's the only one I've heard of.

The only ones who have been named AND confirmed as definitely having happened, aside from Lowe, are Steve Hackett (who had already recorded Voyage of the Acolyte, but everyone - including Hackett - agreed that his voice was not strong enough); Mick Rogers and Noel Mccalla, both from Manfredd Mann (though Mccalla was with Mann much later, and also appeared on Rutherford's Smallcreep's Day); former Eurovision infamy/Eurotrash fave Jann Teigen (who had just left a prog band when he auditioned), and, according to one of the bio books, Francis Rossi.  Yes, that one.  Others who have been named variously on the old (and long dead) forum on the official website and in the fanzines include Ian Dury, Graham Nash, John Miles, Ray Jackson and Alan Hull from Lindisfarne, Lee Jackson, Andy Summers (not known as a singer, but there you go), Alphonso Johnson (also not known as a singer, and who was later asked by Rutherford to audition to replace Hackett), Eric Woolfson, Clifford T Ward and others.  No real basis for any of those other than on-the-grapevine rumours and/or a lot of them being on Charisma's books at the time - Virgin would later send pretty much every singer they had signed with them to audition to replace Phil for what would ultimately become Calling All Stations, so no doubt some people assumed Charisma did the same for Trick. 

There were also a lot of a-bit-more-than-rumours floating around in the 90s that David O'List was a strong contender, but he demanded that he play guitar as well as sing, which didn't go down well with the rest of them as they already had three guitarists in the band so didn't really need another one and he was therefore ejected.

The absolute closest anyone got was unknown Mick Strickland, who actually recorded with them in the studio (someone leaked portions of the recordings on YouTube years ago, but they were removed pretty much instantly - I never heard them), but he couldn't do Squonk - which they all considered to be one of the strongest songs on the album - no matter how they played it, so he was quickly shown the door.  It was only after Bill Bruford and Phil's then-wife both suggested Phil give it a bash that he got out from behind the drum kit.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 27, 2019, 04:26:14 PM
Just remembered.  There was a cover of Sandie Shaw's Always Something There to Remind Me that got lots of airplay in June 1983, but didn't quite crack the charts.  I can't understand why, as the version, by Naked Eyes, was, and is, an awesome version-way better than the original, as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVrELhxOFnM

Top ten hit in America, though - Naked Eyes were one of those English bands in the early/mid 80s that couldn't get arrested at home, but scored some impressive successes in the States - see also the Fixx, Modern English, the Outfield. 

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2019, 10:30:22 PM
The only ones who have been named AND confirmed as definitely having happened, aside from Lowe, are Steve Hackett (who had already recorded Voyage of the Acolyte, but everyone - including Hackett - agreed that his voice was not strong enough); Mick Rogers and Noel Mccalla, both from Manfredd Mann (though Mccalla was with Mann much later, and also appeared on Rutherford's Smallcreep's Day); former Eurovision infamy/Eurotrash fave Jann Teigen (who had just left a prog band when he auditioned), and, according to one of the bio books, Francis Rossi.  Yes, that one.  Others who have been named variously on the old (and long dead) forum on the official website and in the fanzines include Ian Dury, Graham Nash, John Miles, Ray Jackson and Alan Hull from Lindisfarne, Lee Jackson, Andy Summers (not known as a singer, but there you go), Alphonso Johnson (also not known as a singer, and who was later asked by Rutherford to audition to replace Hackett), Eric Woolfson, Clifford T Ward and others.  No real basis for any of those other than on-the-grapevine rumours and/or a lot of them being on Charisma's books at the time - Virgin would later send pretty much every singer they had signed with them to audition to replace Phil for what would ultimately become Calling All Stations, so no doubt some people assumed Charisma did the same for Trick. 

There were also a lot of a-bit-more-than-rumours floating around in the 90s that David O'List was a strong contender, but he demanded that he play guitar as well as sing, which didn't go down well with the rest of them as they already had three guitarists in the band so didn't really need another one and he was therefore ejected.

The absolute closest anyone got was unknown Mick Strickland, who actually recorded with them in the studio (someone leaked portions of the recordings on YouTube years ago, but they were removed pretty much instantly - I never heard them), but he couldn't do Squonk - which they all considered to be one of the strongest songs on the album - no matter how they played it, so he was quickly shown the door.  It was only after Bill Bruford and Phil's then-wife both suggested Phil give it a bash that he got out from behind the drum kit.

Thanks. Wasn't Bryan Ferry also rumoured? Seems unlikely really.
I'd heard about Strickland and him not being able to nail the right key for Squonk. I presume he was an unknown at the time who responded to the ad for a singer in a Genesis-style band - ie before the cat was out of the bag about it being the real thing - but I could be wrong.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 29, 2019, 10:50:50 PM
Thanks. Wasn't Bryan Ferry also rumoured? Seems unlikely really.
I'd heard about Strickland and him not being able to nail the right key for Squonk. I presume he was an unknown at the time who responded to the ad for a singer in a Genesis-style band - ie before the cat was out of the bag about it being the real thing - but I could be wrong.

Ferry happened for Calling All Stations.  He was definitely sent by Virgin - that much has been confirmed (after Ray Wilson let it slip in an interview) - but how serious it was and whether it was a proper audition... It's possible as he wasn't busy (Mamouna didn't do brilliantly, and I don't think he toured it), but on the other hand you couldn't exactly say he was in a career trough either.

I can't remember if Strickland was before or after it was confirmed officially that Gabriel had left and the Genesis type band was revealed to actually be Genesis, but I think it's safe to say that most of the 400 (I think that IS an accurate number, as it has been mentioned independently by numerous people inside and on the periphery of Genesis circles) auditionees were unknowns and/or struggling musicians.

mojo filters

Evie Sands - Anyway That You Want Me

Her epic cover is better than any of the many that came both before and after.

fat_abbott

Bowie's Let's Spend The Night Together is better than the Stones version. Turns a standard rocker into a glam thunderbolt.

Lordofthefiles

PaulTMA

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2019, 11:03:09 PM
Ferry happened for Calling All Stations.  He was definitely sent by Virgin - that much has been confirmed (after Ray Wilson let it slip in an interview) - but how serious it was and whether it was a proper audition... It's possible as he wasn't busy (Mamouna didn't do brilliantly, and I don't think he toured it), but on the other hand you couldn't exactly say he was in a career trough either.

I can't remember if Strickland was before or after it was confirmed officially that Gabriel had left and the Genesis type band was revealed to actually be Genesis, but I think it's safe to say that most of the 400 (I think that IS an accurate number, as it has been mentioned independently by numerous people inside and on the periphery of Genesis circles) auditionees were unknowns and/or struggling musicians.

Really, to replace Phil?  I can't quite picture him singing I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me.

Quote from: fat_abbott on July 30, 2019, 01:05:34 PM
Bowie's Let's Spend The Night Together is better than the Stones version. Turns a standard rocker into a glam thunderbolt.

Yes!  Best thing on Aladdin Sane!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 01, 2019, 05:42:17 PM
Really, to replace Phil?  I can't quite picture him singing I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me.

Club singer style.

But yes, some kind of audition, or, at the very least, discussion did happen.  But it was more a case of Virgin sending along every one of their singers that wasn't busy.

Endicott

Pauline Walnuts

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: bgmnts on July 27, 2019, 04:40:43 PM
It will always be Money by the Flying Lizards.

Their cover of Leonard Cohen's Suzanne was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDs6H6OaUBo