Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Samey Artists Who Gets Away With It

Started by Misspent Boners, July 25, 2019, 11:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Kalabi on July 26, 2019, 10:23:30 AM
Mind you I make electronic music so I'm chucking stones from my lovely glass house here.

:-)  new page recognition

a duncandisorderly

oh, & while I'm here- the fucking red hot chilli peppers. proudly treading water & taking the money since 1989. fuck them, & especially that junkie kiedis. read his book. he's a grade-a bastard.

jobotic

Quote from: Jockice on July 27, 2019, 08:13:45 AM
I prefer Sonic Boom to Spiritualized but that's probably just me. I  didn't know about that book. I'll certainly look it up. Ta.

No it's not just you.

jobotic

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 27, 2019, 09:29:01 AM
oh, & while I'm here- the fucking red hot chilli peppers. proudly treading water & taking the money since 1989. fuck them, & especially that junkie kiedis. read his book. he's a grade-a bastard.

I'm never going to read it. Can you sum up?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2019, 09:33:55 AM
I'm never going to read it. Can you sum up?

makes millions, still seeks squalid drug deals & lives a low life, treating people badly all the while. not there for anyone. blames his state of mind on the death of former band-mate.... from drug overdose.
rinse (in cold, runny sick) & re-fucking-peat.

& that's more or less the story of their musical career too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scar_Tissue_(book)

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Misspent Boners on July 25, 2019, 11:59:29 PMIve loved Sunn 0 for years and some of their albums do have a distinctive individuality to them (black one, monoliths and dimensions feeling like their own entity) but they really are a good example to me of a distinct and wonderful band who by definition could be accused of just making one long song.

I agree but I've always thought of them as being a live band.  Some of their shows are a bit lazy but when they get it right with an interesting vocalist and all the smoke and fluff it's massive.  Apart from 'My Wall' most of their recorded stuff is a bit limp. 

imitationleather

Yeah. I hate this band. Rank them alongside Jamiroquai for how ubiquitous all their songs sounding exactly the fucking same were in the '90s.

But as I said on the other page, I am only suggesting band which release samey music but are still good so they don't get mentioned by me here. Other than the one I just gave them.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2019, 10:50:43 AM
Yeah. I hate this band. Rank them alongside Jamiroquai for how ubiquitous all their songs sounding exactly the fucking same were in the '90s.

But as I said on the other page, I am only suggesting band which release samey music but are still good so they don't get mentioned by me here. Other than the one I just gave them.

oh, ok. it's just that the thread title.... "samey artists who gets away with it"... to me, had a slightly disparaging tone, & after seventeen years at Mtv where RHCP's saccharine sludge was a fixture despite many protests by staffers, I will miss no opportunity to stick it to them. 'treading water' is, frankly, doing them a favour. 'treading sewage' might be closer.

imitationleather

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 27, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
oh, ok. it's just that the thread title.... "samey artists who gets away with it"... to me, had a slightly disparaging tone, & after seventeen years at Mtv where RHCP's saccharine sludge was a fixture despite many protests by staffers, I will miss no opportunity to stick it to them. 'treading water' is, frankly, doing them a favour. 'treading sewage' might be closer.

Hey, I didn't mean owt by it. We can interpret the thread's meaning in different ways and still live in harmony man. Just like in Northern Ireland.

kalowski

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 26, 2019, 12:54:24 PM
Tom Waits has released the same album about about 10 times by now.
And they're all great.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2019, 11:02:42 AM
Hey, I didn't mean owt by it. We can interpret the thread's meaning in different ways and still live in harmony man. Just like in Northern Ireland.

aye.

grassbath

You'll enjoy this (skip to 4:34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YTdfcuAFys

the ouch cube

Dinosaur Jr more or less write the same song with varying volume levels album after album. It's a fuckin good song, however.

Sonic Youth...not samey at all when their career is looked at as a whole, but Sister through to Dirty didn't hit much more than one mood

chveik

NoSleep

I'm not having this re: Mogwai

The more recent stuff is considerably different, and you can pick out a fairly large shift after Barry's stuff starts to appear post-CODY.

You can say what you want about quality, but ultimately that's subjective, and I think they've done some of their best stuff post Mr Beast (which I think is massively overrated anyway).

Check out random tracks from Les Revs, Rave Tapes, Atomic, or Every Country's Sun and tell me what record they would sit neatly on from their earlier days.

E.g.

Deesh - https://youtu.be/8SU2zSZy1vA
Portugal - https://youtu.be/lvJy1LAnw_k
Don't believe the Fife - https://youtu.be/ztIc_wXsIP0
Bitterness centrifuge - https://youtu.be/_HNUTYSVvTI

And that's just indicative tracks from the last 5 years or so of output. You can group certain albums into eras, but to suggest that there's little variation in their output is just flat out incorrect.

Jockice

I don't care how samey they are. I just think they're the worst band in the history of music. Any music. Ever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There is a (possibly apocryphal) story about the time a music journalist told AC/DC that they'd done ten albums that all sounded the same. Angus Young retorted,  "Fuck off! We've done eleven albums that all sound the same."

Pauline Walnuts

Jockice

Tom Robinson's doing a Beastie Boys special on Six Music at this very moment. I can't be arsed turning over though, so come on Mike, Adam and the other one (was that an Adam too?) prove me wrong....

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Jockice on July 28, 2019, 06:07:02 PM
Tom Robinson's doing a Beastie Boys special on Six Music at this very moment. I can't be arsed turning over though, so come on Mike, Adam and the other one (was that an Adam too?) prove me wrong....

yes, the dead one was also adam. :-(

Jockice

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 28, 2019, 06:08:22 PM
yes, the dead one was also adam. :-(

Sorry, I actually didn't mean any disrespect there. In fact I'd temporarily forgotten that one of them had died. I was just aware that they weren't recording anymore.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Jockice on July 28, 2019, 06:15:14 PM
Sorry, I actually didn't mean any disrespect there. In fact I'd temporarily forgotten that one of them had died. I was just aware that they weren't recording anymore.

no probs. I saw them a couple of times, at either end of the band's life. both fab nights out.

greenman

To shift to the reverse of this what about artists who would have been better of sticking to a narrower sound?

Air come to mind, if they'd just recycled the early singles and Moon Safari endlessly I suspect they would be loved more.

The track Temptation is one that proved Tom Waits' unusual voice could be quite varied, twisting into a strained, high-pitched falsetto.

Jockice

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 28, 2019, 06:25:53 PM
no probs. I saw them a couple of times, at either end of the band's life. both fab nights out.

You know, I might have a different opinion if I'd ever seen them live. I'm prepared to admit that they probably were fun in that context. IBut unfortunately I didn't.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on July 26, 2019, 01:37:05 PM
I do like the Beasties but I nearly ruined them for a friend who was a massive fan by pointing out how often one of them will sing a line with the other two joining in on the last word (or few words). It's one of those can't-be-unnoticed things.

A technique they borrowed from Run Dmc after seeing them in the studio dubbing in supporting lines.

I'm not arsed if someone doesn't like the beastie boys but the assertion they were samey is a bit daft; their first album was basic guitar, drum machine and cringey raps and by Hello Nasty they were musical polymaths.