Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fanatic (Fred Durst made a film)

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, July 26, 2019, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42RXqP4aZlY

Couldn't see a thread for this. It looks fucking awful but I kind of have to see it.

bgmnts

First comment:

QuoteRemember those hilariously awful trailers they had in the beginning of Tropic Thunder?... are we sure this wasn't a deleted one?

Why would Fred Durst do this? For the nookie?

I'm taking that to mean Fred Durst was trying to fuck John Travolta.

Twed

Do you reckon the plot is any deeper than "man stalks celebrity and succeeds at tying him up"?

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

really made me want to watch The Fan (1996) again

I would have preferred a Face/Off reboot with Fred and the rapper from Papa Roach.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I think we can comfortably guarantee that The King of Comedy, despite featuring no scenes of Robert De Niro chasing Jerry Lewis with a carving knife, is a more disturbing study of obsessive fan mania than this film from Fred Durst.

bgmnts

Aye but Pupkin isn't JUST a super fan though, he's an egomaniac with delusions of stardom and he wants to use the object of his fandom to further his own ambitions.

Mister Six

Is John Travolta that hard up for cash?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Bazooka on July 27, 2019, 01:39:39 AM
I like the way Travolta walks.

♪♪♪Well you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a stalkin' man, no time to talk♪♪♪

Egyptian Feast

I'm all for has-been musicians making terrible films so I won't be able to resist this, even if it doesn't look nearly as promising as Glenn Danzig's Verotik. That truly sounds 'inspired'.

Didn't Durst act in some low-budget action films at one point, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Edit: So he's co-starred in a couple of straight to DVD films and directed a couple of medicore-but-not-incompetent films before this, with an adaptation of a bestseller in production. I'm less interested in the cinema career of Fred Durst now. I want Dee Snider to make another movie.

He directed some music videos for other nu-metal bands back in the day. Well he directed a KoRn video, can't be bothered to check what else.

Twed

It's probably because I'm an absolute fucking idiot but I spent a lot of that trailer wondering how they got Fred Durst to look like that. "Good wig", I thought.

I can't believe Travolta was only 40 in Pulp Fiction.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bazooka on July 27, 2019, 01:39:39 AM
I like the way Travolta walks.

I am sure he has said in the past that getting the walk right is his way of getting into a character.

The Devon Sawa revival starts here

Ron Superior

Wasn't there a rumour about Fred Durst going round John Travolta's house and John trying to fuck him? Pretty sure it was something like John took off his wig, said Johnny wants mouthwash and Fred just pegged it.

So what do you think changed? Did Fred lay down the law, or did Johnny get the mouthwash?

Either way I'm sure this film will be worth the awkwardness.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 09, 2019, 02:45:55 PM
Wasn't there a rumour about Fred Durst going round John Travolta's house and John trying to fuck him? Pretty sure it was something like John took off his wig, said Johnny wants mouthwash and Fred just pegged it.

So what do you think changed? Did Fred lay down the law, or did Johnny get the mouthwash?

Either way I'm sure this film will be worth the awkwardness.
A quick Google of "Johnny wants mouthwash" reveals the story to have originated with Popbitch in 2006, so...god knows.

kalowski

SavageHedgehog

In 2006 no one would have bothered to make up Fred Durst gossip, therefore it's definitely true.

Shaky

Thanks. I've got the image of a leering Travolta wanking in time to Limp Bizkit's "Rollin'" video in my head. Again.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I want to see John Travolta without his wig. It's one of those elusive things we'll probably never see, like what's under Gabrielle's eye patch.

Famous Mortimer

I watched it last night, and...it's sort of terrible and half-decent at the same time. Durst (or his cinematographer) has the ability to compose a decent image, and Travolta's performance sort of bums you out. It's more the bizarre turns of the plot (the housekeeper, the ending that makes absolutely no sense) that indicates reshoots, or a very weak script, or something.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 12, 2019, 06:41:51 AM
I want to see John Travolta without his wig. It's one of those elusive things we'll probably never see, like what's under Gabrielle's eye patch.

looks alright balding

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He'd probably claim it's just been shaved that way for whatever acting job he's doing in that picture.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 10, 2019, 11:02:46 PM
He'd probably claim it's just been shaved that way for whatever acting job he's doing in that picture.

He says the exact same thing about his pubes.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Got a pickaxe stuck in your head there mate. Careful.

Noodle Lizard

This is on US Amazon Prime now.

It's unsurprisingly quite poor, though it's hard to ignore the fact that it's Travolta and Durst when judging its quality - after all, they're the only reason anyone's watching it. It does fuckall different with the generic "obsessive fan" story, and I'm pretty sure its depiction of just about everything is offensive.  Travolta playing a Derke is a truly odd sight, but to be fair it's probably the most effort he's put into a role in quite some time. Sadly, it's unlikely to pay off, since the script was written by an underachieving 12-year-old.

I imagine Durst thought he was doing some great meta-casting a la De Niro in Joker by using Devon Sawa (Stan from the music video Stan) as the celebrity. There's even a scene of Travolta writing him an obsessive fan letter which may as well have been underscored by that beat.

I'd recommend watching it just for the sheer bizarreness, it's certainly quite funny - sometimes intentionally, I think.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

^ How exceptional is Travolta's hair in it? In the trailer he's got some bizarre Slingblade type thing going on. Is it worth seeing just to look at that?