Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gregg Turkington: MUSICIAN

Started by Gregory Torso, July 27, 2019, 12:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

In case you haven't come across these, here are two (relatively) recent interviews where he goes into his musical history a little bit:

Webovision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ZIJO_Z8X4

Some podcast:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP-zbDrFV-E

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 30, 2019, 09:27:36 PM
In case you haven't come across these, here are two (relatively) recent interviews where he goes into his musical history a little bit:

Webovision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ZIJO_Z8X4

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 30, 2019, 08:54:13 PM
Christ himself only knows why this has such a low view count but this long-ass Cris Kirkwood video podcast with Gregg as the sole guest is absolutely fascinating for anyone remotely interested in the man. He goes into quite some depth about his involvement with the music scene throughout his life. Can't recommend it enough.

bruh

Noodle Lizard

Alright mate, I didn't clock that "Cris Kirkwood podcast" referred to Tom Green's Webovision hosted by Major Entertainer Mike H.  Explains the low view count, though, it's mis-titled.  I don't know where the original went, probably disappeared along with all of the Webovision channel.

I think I have a download of another one where Gregg co-hosted with Mike H. and they interviewed Annabella Lwin from Bow Wow Wow (who appears briefly in Entertainment), featuring Gregg in full On Cinema mode with his collection of her recordings.  That's great, too, I'll see if I can find it.

Cuellar

Just watching that Frederick Michael St Jude documentary after his name comes up in that podcast interview, and the talking head interview with Gregg has me cracking up because he's so much like 'Gregg' from On Cinema.

I don't know why I'm surprised at how much Gregg is like 'Gregg', but there you are.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 30, 2019, 08:54:13 PM
Would it have been the lack of the age of information that would have warranted such a hateful crowd reaction, or is this genuinely one of those instances where, much as I love the country and a great number of those who live there, I can safely say "American audiences are fuckin pig shit thick when it comes to irony within art"? Because fuck me if you're even half a Faith No More fan you can surely identify with the fact that this isn't some halfwit band the venue owner pulled off the street. Even their stage presence is as obnoxiously confrontational as FNM would have been. Try to fuckin enjoy yourselves instead of being a cap-on-backwards jock-in-disguise aggressive cunt.

I think there's there's a long history of bands like Faith No More, and Nirvana as another example, that come from punk/experimental/close knit scenes and suddenly get massively popular with idiots, wanting to help out their friends in weirder bands and also troll their new found mainstream audiences a bit. Infamously, Nirvana took an all-girl punk band called Calamity Jane on tour with them, and the audiences were so hostile, that the band ended up splitting. However, sometimes, it works for the bands. I remember hearing about Steel Pole Bathtub supporting FNM and getting so pissed off with the audience that they just played Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" over and over again for 40 minutes which was probably a lot of fun for them (although I'd have been annoyed, I used to love SPBT). Just listen to the Neil Hamburger album he recorded when he was supporting Tenacious D ("Hot February Night") for another perfect example of an audience of cunts being mercilessly toyed with. Having said THAT, I'm sure there are always plenty of people in audiences like these that do enjoy the weird stuff, it's just obviously a louder, more testosterone drone fuckfest "OFF OFF OFF OFF" majority that dominates in volume.
Finally, I'd imagine Gregg adores pissing audience off, so there's always that as reassurance.

sevendaughters

the cranberry sauce joke on Hot February Night, whilst I've heard a ton before, that is his best telling of that joke.

I wonder if the vanity press interludes on Great Times at DiPresa's Pizza House are by Gregg or stuff he found?

koren

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 29, 2019, 09:31:12 PM
Happy Like Larry is fantastic.  As someone mentioned, it's supposedly a cover of one of those vanity recordings Gregg's obsessed with, but I've never been able to find the original.
Here's the original from Les Hughey's 'Alive In The Sky', an otherwise unremarkable gospel record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x55T0cvm6y8

Gregory Torso

Quote from: koren on July 31, 2019, 04:46:10 PM
Here's the original from Les Hughey's 'Alive In The Sky', an otherwise unremarkable gospel record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x55T0cvm6y8

Great find! Thanks

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: koren on July 31, 2019, 04:46:10 PM

Oh wow!  Thanks so much for uploading that!  Bizarre lyrics aside, it's considerably less demented than I thought it be, which makes ZCR's version even funnier.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 31, 2019, 01:00:43 PM
Finally, I'd imagine Gregg adores pissing audience off, so there's always that as reassurance.

Oh yeah completely. On both occasions seeing Neil Hamburger do standup he revelled in people heckling ("and I admit I was party to that goading" - me/Alan Partridge) so he could break his hilariously one-note joke routine to thoroughly and venomously lay into them/me.

Gregory Torso

Right, where was I? Ah yes, The Golding Institute. A terrifying relaxation tape that really needs to be heard in full, personally I think it's one of Gregg's funniest releases. It's brilliant and you can listen to it HERE on Bandcamp and buy it where it now seems to be a Neil Hamburger release. Listen to this when you go to sleep each night.

SNAP YOUR FRONT TEETH OUT OF YOUR HEAD AS IF YOU WERE GNAWING ON A BONE AND YOU WERE A BEAR. PLEASE, PLEASE, BREAK SOME OF YOUR TEETH IN YOUR HEAD, FOR ME.

LET YOUR HEART CONCLUDE ITS CONTRACT