Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#essex #clowne

Started by seepage, July 27, 2019, 05:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

"things kicked off when another passenger appeared dressed as a clown. This upset one of their party because they'd specifically booked a cruise with no fancy dress. It led to a violent confrontation."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137520

bgmnts

Saw this on bbc a few minutes ago. Middle class cunts.

José

a duncandisorderly

"they'd specifically booked a cruise with no fancy dress"

is that even possible?

Ferris

"He said the violence occurred after a black-tie evening and an afternoon of "patriotic" partying on deck, when large amounts of alcohol were consumed."

Hw does one party in a patriotic manner?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 27, 2019, 05:13:33 PM
"He said the violence occurred after a black-tie evening and an afternoon of "patriotic" partying on deck, when large amounts of alcohol were consumed."

ask this bloke:

Ferris

I assumed it was lots of chanting or national anthem singing or something?

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Blumf

I think I've been on the same cruise route and there is something weird about the passengers, some deep seated arsey-ness. Clueless pricks LARP'ing as Edwardians or something. Lower-middle classes desperately trying to pretend they're something.

Never want to go on a cruise again, not my scene.

BlodwynPig

Floating prison for the ghosts of 1990s game show contestants

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Blumf on July 27, 2019, 05:25:56 PM
I think I've been on the same cruise route and there is something weird about the passengers, some deep seated arsey-ness. Clueless pricks LARP'ing as Edwardians or something. Lower-middle classes desperately trying to pretend they're something.

Never want to go on a cruise again, not my scene.

were they re-enacting 'titanic'?

Blumf

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 27, 2019, 05:29:59 PM
were they re-enacting 'titanic'?

Worse, there was a Phil Collins tribute act.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Blumf on July 27, 2019, 05:35:03 PM
Worse, there was a Phil Collins tribute act.

was he called 'no life-jacket required'?

object-lesson

Hope nobody's just believing what they read on the BBC website, especially based on an account by a random Good Morning Britain journalist out for a Story. It puts 'mass brawl' in quotes but then doesn't attribute the quote - warning sign, suggesting possible exaggeration for effect.

Read the twitter thread linked to, dissenting accounts, like this:

https://twitter.com/SeddonDavid/status/1155117108524699648

Withhold judgment in all such cases would be my advice.

gib

Jasha

Gordon's gin
Pimm's
West country cider
No vodka rum champagne or any other foreign muck

Small Man Big Horse

Mother loves her cruises, goes on one every year and has remortgaged her flat / my inheritance so she can continue doing so. This year's was the first she ever had any complaints about however, as she told me "Annoyingly three people died, but otherwise I had a very nice time".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Who got to play the detective?

Dex Sawash

Picturing someone yelling LOLRANDOM at the clown and it all kicking off

pigamus

Bet he did that fucking clown horn noise that Phill Jupitus does and somebody decked him for it. Bet ya.

BritishHobo

A lot of chuckling and wondering in here about what on earth patriotic partying on a cruise could possibly look like. Couldn't see that this has been linked yet, but there's no need to wonder any more, and I think the chuckling might turn to horror once you see the sheer hellscape that is actually genuinely what this cruise looks like:

https://twitter.com/richardgaisford/status/1155029988791468032

BritishHobo

Imagine that. On board, with that. Straight over the railings for me. Up on deck, straight over. Splash. Sea is my home now.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 28, 2019, 12:44:38 AM
A lot of chuckling and wondering in here about what on earth patriotic partying on a cruise could possibly look like. Couldn't see that this has been linked yet, but there's no need to wonder any more, and I think the chuckling might turn to horror once you see the sheer hellscape that is actually genuinely what this cruise looks like:

I was waiting for the bit when the steel cable whips through the people and their bifurcated bodies fall slowly apart onto the deck....

José

It's not fair that I should feel sick when I hear lovely, lovely Dexy's Midnight!

Icehaven

Is clown rage a thing now?

object-lesson

On cruises like that flags are handed out by some 'Entertainments' organisation to encourage a 'party atmosphere' or somesuch. If you watch the thing most of the 'gammons' the supercilious liberal snobs express their contempt for in that thread are waving the flags in the normal half-hearted manner that people do at administered events like that. But naturally they must all be evil 'Brexiteers' or BNP, not just a bunch of late middle-aged people making a half-arsed effort at having a 'good time', as people on cruises have for decades.

If you read the link in the BBC article or the one I posted above there are a number of people contesting that ITV journalist's version of events. Even the BBC article mentions only two arrested.

So very little is known except that lots of British people were drinking as British people do, there was a very nasty fight including - according to a witness quoted by the Daily Mail - four people fighting and a vicious assault on a woman - and there are competing versions of events, especially over how severe and widespread they really were.

Again the quotation marks - who designated this event 'patriotic'? Was that on people's minds as they listened to the Celtic-based pop song with some twerp telling them what to do on the PA?

Also no one likes clowns, it's a sentiment that unites the Anglosphere above everything, I'm pretty close to full-on coulrophobia myself yes I looked it up.

Ferris

In fairness, it doesn't look like they had those flags in their suitcases looking for any excuse to break them out - more a case of P&O buying lots of them cheap, handing them out to everyone, then as a "welcome back to the UK!" started instructing people to wave them around.

Your UKIPpers will be up the front getting sloshed and going mad for it. For the more discerning P&O-Bergen-Cruisers, you can't not wave the flag around (you want to avoid running afoul of the "why do you hate freedom" brigade) so you sit at the back and do a half-arsed job (which a lot of them did).

Add in the fact they're all pissed up and they'd probably wave anything around. It's still pure desolation, but I refuse to believe all of them were mad into it. Then again, these are the sort of people who voluntarily go to Southampton on holiday so possibly they are a self-selecting gang of poor decision-makers. Hard to say.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: object-lesson on July 28, 2019, 03:27:56 AM

Also no one likes clowns, it's a sentiment that unites the Anglosphere above everything, I'm pretty close to full-on coulrophobia myself yes I looked it up.

dislike & fear are not the same thing. a phobia is not taking against something on the basis of personal preferences.

you, my son, are cruisin' for a bruisin'.