Author Topic: The Mountain (new Rick Alverson)  (Read 413 times)

The Mountain (new Rick Alverson)
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
Not sure when it's coming out properly anywhere, but here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCTxoXx-H8

Just saw this (followed by an excruciatingly unenlightening Q&A with Alverson and Goldblum) and have mixed feelings.  That isn't unusual for a Rick Alverson film - I came out of Entertainment fairly underwhelmed, but grew to love it as much as The Comedy, and now both of them are somewhere in my top films of the decade.  Obviously none of his films are a high-octane laugh riot, but this one seems especially punishing - it actually makes Entertainment feel snappy by comparison.  I won't go too much into it until more people have seen it, but it's definitely an interesting evolution for Alverson, and aesthetically gorgeous to boot.  Great performances an' all, especially by that Denis Lavant from Holy Motors.  I'll give it a few days to sink in.

PlanktonSideburns

• be outta here in a jiffy
Re: The Mountain (new Rick Alverson)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
your experience with entertainment sounds very similar to mine, - my wife asked me what i thought of it, and at the time i said 'i think i hated it' - but i love it now.

cant wait for this one to become available in the uk. will go to any cinema to see it i recon. looking forward to being nauseatingly dissapointed and then having other feelings later

PlanktonSideburns

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
find all of alverson's interviews extremely boring. he should wear a funny hat or something for them to jazz them up a bit

PlanktonSideburns

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
Is that some Steve Reich on the vibes, looking very relaxed at the end?