Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mountain (new Rick Alverson)

Started by Noodle Lizard, July 28, 2019, 08:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Not sure when it's coming out properly anywhere, but here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCTxoXx-hate

Just saw this (followed by an excruciatingly unenlightening Q&A with Alverson and Goldblum) and have mixed feelings.  That isn't unusual for a Rick Alverson film - I came out of Entertainment fairly underwhelmed, but grew to love it as much as The Comedy, and now both of them are somewhere in my top films of the decade.  Obviously none of his films are a high-octane laugh riot, but this one seems especially punishing - it actually makes Entertainment feel snappy by comparison.  I won't go too much into it until more people have seen it, but it's definitely an interesting evolution for Alverson, and aesthetically gorgeous to boot.  Great performances an' all, especially by that Denis Lavant from Holy Motors.  I'll give it a few days to sink in.

PlanktonSideburns

your experience with entertainment sounds very similar to mine, - my wife asked me what i thought of it, and at the time i said 'i think i hated it' - but i love it now.

cant wait for this one to become available in the uk. will go to any cinema to see it i recon. looking forward to being nauseatingly dissapointed and then having other feelings later

PlanktonSideburns

find all of alverson's interviews extremely boring. he should wear a funny hat or something for them to jazz them up a bit

PlanktonSideburns

Is that some Steve Reich on the vibes, looking very relaxed at the end?

PlanktonSideburns

this just came out on video on demand, and no doubt some naughty cunt has uploaded it to various non legal sites.

just watched it, and got the rick alverson classic feels: dont really know what to feel. almost every single bit of dialouge consisted of one person asking another one a question, then they other person staring at them, emotionless for about 5 seconds, then a hard cut to the next scene, like it existed in a parallel world where curiosity creates time jumps. they certainly ramp things up at the end, and Dennis Lavant teleports into the thing like a beast from a completely different movie, a completely mental performance, it almost feels like alverson was too intimidated by it to ask him to turn it down. great turn by hannah gross, goldblum does a really well tempered performance here, gives tye sheridan space to do his thing, which is mostly to look gourmless yet somehow mercurial holding some suitcases

currently feel like it was well moody, but ultimately quite a hollow experience. no doubt in a few weeks time ill be claiming it to be the best thing since diced shred

how about you noodles? how has it changed in your brain over time?

PlanktonSideburns

also, should the french bits been subtitled? would knowing what was being said have added anything?