Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Campaign for the Labour Party.

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 28, 2019, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Question: I live in a safe seat, is there an easy way to work out nearby marginals and maximise campaigning efforts?

kittens

got in the whatsapp group to go freaking people out in filton & bradley stoke. who knows if i'll actually go do it but it's a step in the right direction innit.

thugler

Finally signed up for the first time as a member and am looking into participating in some of this stuff in my nearest marginal. Can't wait!

ZoyzaSorris

Every single fucker here (including paulie walnuts) needs to be treading the streets 24/7 or you're dead to me

pancreas

I'm leafletting the homeless as we speak.

colacentral

I think one useful area to hit on when speaking to people is Labour's animal welfare manifesto:

https://labour.org.uk/issues/animal-welfare-manifesto/

I say this because it's a different talking point to the usual stuff on the NHS, Brexit etc which can become noise after a while, and I think people can be slightly detached from those issues in a way that they're less likely to be as animal lovers. Think of how much traction Labour gained with the fox hunting conversation in 2017 for example.

The Domestic Pets section in particular is brilliant:

QuoteImprove accessibility to vets for those on low incomes and/or living in remote areas, working with organisations like the PDSA to explore how access to affordable vet care can be expanded. Work with animal welfare charities to encourage take-up of subsidised neutering.

How many people can relate to having to put a pet down because treatment was unaffordable? Having a policy like this which is so widely relatable and sparks an emotional reaction is really useful.

QuoteRefusal of landlords to allow pets is a common reason for cats and dogs being given up to animal shelters.  We would consult with tenants and both social and private landlords so that tenants can keep pets as a default unless there is evidence that the animal is causing a nuisance, or its welfare is compromised.

This is excellent too. It's bad enough that people are stuck in rented accommodation due to the high cost of buying a house, and then the majority of the time it's impossible to rent and be allowed pets, which are beneficial for mental health. Again, this will appeal to almost everyone renting property, from students to older people and families, who want a dog or a cat but aren't allowed one because the landlord doesn't want to pay the cleaning bill and replace the carpets at the end of the tenancy. Rescue cats and dogs would have millions of potential new homes to go to. That is again something that's easy to get a positive emotional reaction to.

QuoteWork with care home providers and advocate groups to explore the potential for elderly, disabled and homeless people who move into care homes, sheltered accommodation or hostels to be able to keep their pets and work with relevant agencies to provide 'safe houses' for pets of people escaping domestic violence

Another useful and important one due to the voter age range it appeals to as far as the elderly care homes. These are all going to be particularly useful in the context of Christmas I think too.

colacentral

I know there are a good portion of North West Cabbers, some in Lancaster specifically. Morecambe is a Conservative seat which was left as a lost cause in 2017 as it was seen as more important to secure the return of Cat Smith in Lancaster. As it happens, Labour went on to make a 9% gain. The Conservative candidate won Morecambe by less than the amount of votes that went Lib Dem. That makes it a very winnable seat so I'd expect a lot of campaigning there, so it would be a good place to make the journey out to for canvassing.

greencalx

If you have some spare cash you can throw it at Momentum's campaign here: https://momentum.nationbuilder.com/50k_in_48_hours

The official party fund donation page is here https://donation.labour.org.uk/page/contribute/donate-fa-gdpr/

colacentral

Genuine question: if I have a spare tenner, why would I give it to Momentum over giving it directly to Labour?

greencalx

Pancreas will give you a better answer but my feeling is that a momentum donation will go further as large machines like the Labour Party naturally accrue expensive bureaucracies to go with them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: colacentral on October 30, 2019, 07:51:44 AM
Genuine question: if I have a spare tenner, why would I give it to Momentum over giving it directly to Labour?

Similar to the above, they need the money more than Labour and are more agile in how they use it.

Which is not to say they won't waste it but that applies either way.

imitationleather

I feel more comfortable about donating to Momentum now I can be certain it isn't all going straight into Jon Lansman's beard oil fund.

Noonling

Do you need to be a Labour member to campaign for them? I'm Green but my current constituency has no chance for Green

Pdine

I'll be knocking doors, although there's little hope of the seat flipping tbh.

Paul Calf

I have incredibly poor social skills so won't be knocking on doors, but I'm going to look for other ways to help.

I'll give lifts on polling day.

kittens

yeah i'm a freak and tories make me fuckin rage so i'm gonna be shit at it. but also i'm handsome and cool so people will see that labour voters can be handsome and cool which is invaluable. hopefully i can get paired up with a manifesto wonk who will deal with the questions while i deal with the eye contact and muscles.

Signed up for door knocking this weekend. Tories have a 6,000 majority over the labour candidate so using Jess Phillips maths, I should be able to achieve the 3,000 swing required by Sunday tea time.

bgmnts

Poor social skills shouldnt stop you.

Paul Calf

They should if they make me a liability.

idunnosomename

If someone refuses to vote labour should i kill them

pancreas

No, just make a note to go back round on polling day and tie them to a chair.

Blinder Data

I need to look up to see if work restricts me from campaigning.

I'll likely help out but not my local candidate as I'm not inspired by them, simple as. Will see who needs help most - tempted to pitch in to get Pam Duncan-Glancy elected. I'm in Scotland though so it's going to be a hard and probably fruitless grind.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 30, 2019, 11:27:31 AM
I need to look up to see if work restricts me from campaigning.

I'll likely help out but not my local candidate as I'm not inspired by them, simple as. Will see who needs help most - tempted to pitch in to get Pam Duncan-Glancy elected. I'm in Scotland though so it's going to be a hard and probably fruitless grind.
Ooh, who's your local candidate? I'm not sure about a lot of Scottish Labour types, but I like Rhea Wolfson, who's probably my favourite. I wonder if she's standing in Livingston.

imitationleather

Apparently a lemon in a sock can cause temporarily incapacitating injuries but leave no lasting damage. So this is what I will be using to attack my very nice, but fucking Tory, aunt and uncle on 12th December.

Blinder Data

Quote from: canadagoose on October 30, 2019, 11:35:08 AM
Ooh, who's your local candidate? I'm not sure about a lot of Scottish Labour types, but I like Rhea Wolfson, who's probably my favourite. I wonder if she's standing in Livingston.

No, she isn't.

My candidate is Johann Lamont MSP. Leader during indyref. A prime example of the moribund state of SLab.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 30, 2019, 11:41:36 AM
No, she isn't.

My candidate is Johann Lamont MSP. Leader during indyref. A prime example of the moribund state of SLab.
Ah. Yeah, I see your problem.

pigamus

ZoyzaSorris

Chucked Momentum £20, suggest everyone shakes their wallet out and tries to get everyone they know to do likewise!