Author Topic: Campaign for the Labour Party.  (Read 16538 times)

Re: Campaign for the Labour Party.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 09:02:22 PM »
Question: I live in a safe seat, is there an easy way to work out nearby marginals and maximise campaigning efforts?

kittens

• kittens
  • Silver Member
  • don't have a cow man
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
got in the whatsapp group to go freaking people out in filton & bradley stoke. who knows if i'll actually go do it but it's a step in the right direction innit.

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 09:26:58 PM »
Finally signed up for the first time as a member and am looking into participating in some of this stuff in my nearest marginal. Can't wait!

kitsofan34

• everybody's clever nowadays
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »

ZoyzaSorris

• Brimming with innards
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 11:26:46 PM »
Every single fucker here (including paulie walnuts) needs to be treading the streets 24/7 or you're dead to me

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
I'm leafletting the homeless as we speak.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2019, 11:56:06 PM »
I think one useful area to hit on when speaking to people is Labour's animal welfare manifesto:

https://labour.org.uk/issues/animal-welfare-manifesto/

I say this because it's a different talking point to the usual stuff on the NHS, Brexit etc which can become noise after a while, and I think people can be slightly detached from those issues in a way that they're less likely to be as animal lovers. Think of how much traction Labour gained with the fox hunting conversation in 2017 for example.

The Domestic Pets section in particular is brilliant:

Improve accessibility to vets for those on low incomes and/or living in remote areas, working with organisations like the PDSA to explore how access to affordable vet care can be expanded. Work with animal welfare charities to encourage take-up of subsidised neutering.

How many people can relate to having to put a pet down because treatment was unaffordable? Having a policy like this which is so widely relatable and sparks an emotional reaction is really useful.

Refusal of landlords to allow pets is a common reason for cats and dogs being given up to animal shelters.  We would consult with tenants and both social and private landlords so that tenants can keep pets as a default unless there is evidence that the animal is causing a nuisance, or its welfare is compromised.

This is excellent too. It's bad enough that people are stuck in rented accommodation due to the high cost of buying a house, and then the majority of the time it's impossible to rent and be allowed pets, which are beneficial for mental health. Again, this will appeal to almost everyone renting property, from students to older people and families, who want a dog or a cat but aren't allowed one because the landlord doesn't want to pay the cleaning bill and replace the carpets at the end of the tenancy. Rescue cats and dogs would have millions of potential new homes to go to. That is again something that's easy to get a positive emotional reaction to.

Work with care home providers and advocate groups to explore the potential for elderly, disabled and homeless people who move into care homes, sheltered accommodation or hostels to be able to keep their pets and work with relevant agencies to provide ‘safe houses’ for pets of people escaping domestic violence

Another useful and important one due to the voter age range it appeals to as far as the elderly care homes. These are all going to be particularly useful in the context of Christmas I think too.

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 12:01:42 AM »
I know there are a good portion of North West Cabbers, some in Lancaster specifically. Morecambe is a Conservative seat which was left as a lost cause in 2017 as it was seen as more important to secure the return of Cat Smith in Lancaster. As it happens, Labour went on to make a 9% gain. The Conservative candidate won Morecambe by less than the amount of votes that went Lib Dem. That makes it a very winnable seat so I'd expect a lot of campaigning there, so it would be a good place to make the journey out to for canvassing.

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 07:47:44 AM »
If you have some spare cash you can throw it at Momentum’s campaign here: https://momentum.nationbuilder.com/50k_in_48_hours

The official party fund donation page is here https://donation.labour.org.uk/page/contribute/donate-fa-gdpr/

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 07:51:44 AM »
Genuine question: if I have a spare tenner, why would I give it to Momentum over giving it directly to Labour?

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
Pancreas will give you a better answer but my feeling is that a momentum donation will go further as large machines like the Labour Party naturally accrue expensive bureaucracies to go with them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Are we human? Or are we toilet
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 08:06:14 AM »
Genuine question: if I have a spare tenner, why would I give it to Momentum over giving it directly to Labour?

Similar to the above, they need the money more than Labour and are more agile in how they use it.

Which is not to say they won't waste it but that applies either way.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 08:08:14 AM »
I feel more comfortable about donating to Momentum now I can be certain it isn't all going straight into Jon Lansman's beard oil fund.

Noonling

• You can no longer jump without feet.
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2019, 08:23:46 AM »
Do you need to be a Labour member to campaign for them? I'm Green but my current constituency has no chance for Green

Pdine

• Apparently I'm Jewish
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2019, 08:25:44 AM »
I'll be knocking doors, although there's little hope of the seat flipping tbh.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • KEIN MENSCH IST ILLEGAL
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »
I have incredibly poor social skills so won't be knocking on doors, but I'm going to look for other ways to help.

I'll give lifts on polling day.

kittens

• kittens
  • Silver Member
  • don't have a cow man
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
yeah i'm a freak and tories make me fuckin rage so i'm gonna be shit at it. but also i'm handsome and cool so people will see that labour voters can be handsome and cool which is invaluable. hopefully i can get paired up with a manifesto wonk who will deal with the questions while i deal with the eye contact and muscles.

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
Signed up for door knocking this weekend. Tories have a 6,000 majority over the labour candidate so using Jess Phillips maths, I should be able to achieve the 3,000 swing required by Sunday tea time.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »
Poor social skills shouldnt stop you.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • KEIN MENSCH IST ILLEGAL
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
They should if they make me a liability.

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
If someone refuses to vote labour should i kill them

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
No, just make a note to go back round on polling day and tie them to a chair.

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
I need to look up to see if work restricts me from campaigning.

I'll likely help out but not my local candidate as I'm not inspired by them, simple as. Will see who needs help most - tempted to pitch in to get Pam Duncan-Glancy elected. I'm in Scotland though so it's going to be a hard and probably fruitless grind.

canadagoose

• lest we not forgot
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
I need to look up to see if work restricts me from campaigning.

I'll likely help out but not my local candidate as I'm not inspired by them, simple as. Will see who needs help most - tempted to pitch in to get Pam Duncan-Glancy elected. I'm in Scotland though so it's going to be a hard and probably fruitless grind.
Ooh, who's your local candidate? I'm not sure about a lot of Scottish Labour types, but I like Rhea Wolfson, who's probably my favourite. I wonder if she's standing in Livingston.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
Apparently a lemon in a sock can cause temporarily incapacitating injuries but leave no lasting damage. So this is what I will be using to attack my very nice, but fucking Tory, aunt and uncle on 12th December.

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Ooh, who's your local candidate? I'm not sure about a lot of Scottish Labour types, but I like Rhea Wolfson, who's probably my favourite. I wonder if she's standing in Livingston.

No, she isn't.

My candidate is Johann Lamont MSP. Leader during indyref. A prime example of the moribund state of SLab.

canadagoose

• lest we not forgot
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
No, she isn't.

My candidate is Johann Lamont MSP. Leader during indyref. A prime example of the moribund state of SLab.
Ah. Yeah, I see your problem.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
Apparently a lemon in a sock

If I could
If I only could
I surely would

ZoyzaSorris

• Brimming with innards
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »
Chucked Momentum £20, suggest everyone shakes their wallet out and tries to get everyone they know to do likewise!