Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Russell Watson & Shaun Ryder's version of 'Barcelona' the pinnacle of all art

Started by PaulTMA, July 28, 2019, 11:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Shaun Ryder these days looks like a melted waxwork of Mike from Breaking Bad.

Also, this is really, really bad.

I hope these comments help.

Edit: Actually, this is really good.

PaulTMA

My highlight is their response to the lesbian kiss at the end, it's like documentary footage of Kevin & Perry in the wild

Hard to tell who this is aimed at. Like something a losing team on The Apprentice would make.

hummingofevil

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 29, 2019, 12:35:20 AM
Hard to tell who this is aimed at. Like something a losing team on The Apprentice would make.

The best bit about this track was that it was added to The Voice, his debut album with little fuss. So all the middle aged women who love this toss would have put it on with the usual combination of classical light and Simon and Garfunkel cover versions only for two tracks from the end this masterpiece to hit them unexpectedly.

You know the rumour (false rumour sadly) that it's not Shaun Ryder singing the Shaun Ryder bits but Russell Watson doing a Shaun Ryder impression because Shaun was off his head no drugs somewhere. Sadly, not true.

Jockice

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 28, 2019, 11:32:41 PM
Shaun Ryder these days looks like a melted waxwork of Mike from Breaking Bad.

He's lost all his body hair you know. And his fingernails.

Just say no kids.

PlanktonSideburns

DrGreggles

Quote from: Twed on July 29, 2019, 03:35:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFGmXB_fl9E

Somehow this is even more nuts

Not compared to his Wimoweh:
https://youtu.be/ZsDnjM9xVpw

You think he he's gone too big too soon, but then after 45 seconds...

***contains bonus Vic Reeves-style club singing***

famethrowa

Quote from: Twed on July 29, 2019, 03:35:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFGmXB_fl9E

Somehow this is even more nuts

And it's magical. A dreamy, floaty free-association with some lads and and old crooner, having a wonderful time.

famethrowa

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 29, 2019, 02:12:31 PM
Not compared to his Wimoweh:
https://youtu.be/ZsDnjM9xVpw

You think he he's gone too big too soon, but then after 45 seconds...

***contains bonus Vic Reeves-style club singing***

I prefer this video, the 70sest of anything thats ever been 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9XVGv5aU0

Cuellar

Half expecting to see this in the 'Covers that are better than the originals' thread smdh

gilbertharding

Quote from: studpuppet on July 29, 2019, 01:28:53 PM
It's good, but it's no Anita Harris/Mungo Jerry's Fairytale Of New York (a yardstick by which all songs should be measured).

I've said it before (well, I think it was me) that Anita Harris would make a really great name for a feminine grooming salon.

AnthonyJ

My wife's choir sang in a concert with Russell Watson many moons ago and he told them that Shaun isn't even on the recording - it's just Watson doing an impersonation of him as Ryder was too out of it do to the recording.

PlanktonSideburns

Struggling with this. Amazing singing technique. It's like he circles each note like a sheepdog, gets distracted and wanders off, trailing bogroll from his shoe

Twed

Quote from: AnthonyJ on July 30, 2019, 12:28:55 PM
My wife's choir sang in a concert with Russell Watson many moons ago and he told them that Shaun isn't even on the recording - it's just Watson doing an impersonation of him as Ryder was too out of it do to the recording.
He's either great or is dining out on a really bullshit anecdote

hummingofevil

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 29, 2019, 01:39:34 AM

You know the rumour (false rumour sadly) that it's not Shaun Ryder singing the Shaun Ryder bits but Russell Watson doing a Shaun Ryder impression because Shaun was off his head no drugs somewhere. Sadly, not true.

*cough*

Jockice

Quote from: Twed on July 30, 2019, 04:59:05 PM
He's either great or is dining out on a really bullshit anecdote

Maybe it was the other way round. Has anyone considered that, eh?

poodlefaker

Quote from: Jockice on July 29, 2019, 09:44:48 AM

You can sing this in a Shaun Ruder accent and it fits all his songs. In that bridge before the chorus they all have.

Twed

Quote from: Jockice on July 30, 2019, 08:11:17 PM
Maybe it was the other way round. Has anyone considered that, eh?
It's a great anecdote and he's dining out on bullshit? That isn't worth thinking about.

Golden E. Pump

I misread this as 'Batdance' and am now lamenting a missed opportunity.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: studpuppet on July 29, 2019, 01:28:53 PM
It's good, but it's no Anita Harris/Mungo Jerry's Fairytale Of New York (a yardstick by which all songs should be measured).

I had a massive crush on anita harris when I was first discovering self-pleasure, due in no small part to a sunday colour supplement picture of her in some pantomime or other, & her ridiculously attractive legs.

so thanks for shitting on that for me.

[edit] this looks familiar-

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on July 29, 2019, 09:44:48 AM

Just say no kids.

Or, if you're going to live fast, don't get so out of it you forget to die young.