Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Life

Started by McFlymo, July 29, 2019, 02:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Anyone watching this new thing on Netflix?

Oh! It's bad! It's really good, bad shit!

I can't stop watching even though everyone in it is ridiculous. The acting is so terrible.

Check it out! It's rubbish!

Great Hate Watch material.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80236236

Dex Sawash

I gave it the 5 minute nudity check.
Sackhoff looks so wrong with "nice" hair.

McFlymo

Is it more or less wrong than Justin Chatwin's hair?

Icehaven

Watched the first 2 or 3 (can't even remember) last night, about 20 minutes into the first episode there was a bit where the crew were all talking round a table and it suddenly smacked home how badly written the whole thing was. I was not proved wrong by the next 2 eps or so. Was also quite distracted by how much the main character captain lady looks like Steve Buscemi.

Poobum

Did they get the writing teams mixed up? Is there a bunch of confused sci-fi writers stuck doing a high school teen melodrama?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 29, 2019, 03:02:25 AM
Sackhoff looks so wrong with "nice" hair.

Check out this dunce^

The one I thought was Katee Sackhoff in a wig was really Selma Blair

Watched the first episode and it's a real turkey. The whole thing makes no sense: possible end of the human race and they send this bunch of Dundee and arseholes to sort it out?

The characters aren't even wafer thin, and their motivations (one especially) are baffling.

Alberon

I was looking forward to this as deep space Sci-Fi is my favourite genre. Add Katee Sackhoff and I was genuinely excited for this.

Until I watched it. What an absolute fucking disaster. How could they not see how shite this was at any point after the scripts were delivered? The crew of the ship are petulant, borderline insane and all with a mental age of five.

Meanwhile back on Earth, Sackhoff's character's husband seems to the only person trying to make contact with the aliens, and his only approach is playing bird noises at them. He's about to be sacked by the comically cliched female general before he gets some success.

Sod spoilers, no one is going to get far into this. At the end of the first episode the former captain turned first officer (after Sackhoff's character took over) had had his mutiny defeated, but not without giving the ship they're on a damn good beating. So you're looking forward to a season of the two verbally fighting over the issues and maybe growing to respect each other.

No, he tries to murder her and she kicks him into some convenient exposed wiring and kills him. When she tells the crew at no point does she even try to tell them he was going to kill her. She makes it sound like she just executes him.

This shit makes Nightflyers look like 2001.

Icehaven

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on July 29, 2019, 03:30:49 PM
Watched the first episode and it's a real turkey. The whole thing makes no sense: possible end of the human race and they send this bunch of Dundee and arseholes to sort it out?

The characters aren't even wafer thin, and their motivations (one especially) are baffling.

I thought I'd just missed a lot of the whys and wherefores as I wasn't 100% paying attention, but after asking my viewing companion (who was) a few Qs afterwards I realised it wasn't me, it was just largely incoherent.

Poobum

Every plot point is dealt with in such a pefunctory manner. They decide they're going to do Alien, the spine crawls out and just dies, and they've done Alien. Arsehole doctor is introduced and is killed off so quickly it's impossible to care. Then the cheap, "she's still in a dream woo" bullshit that needed to fuck off forever ago. I bailed at guy mocking other guy cause they both like the same girl with the basic tone "ner ner, you're not getting any and I am, jealous bro?". Fucking spines escaping bodies mate. Ship's damaged. You're trying make contact with a potentialy hostile ET that's planted a massive crystal dildo on earth.
I was quite disappointed because the whole giant alien anomaly reminded me totally of Annihillation and I could have definitely gone for a series that went down that line with mystery, inscrutability, and recognizably human characters.

Why can't we have Stargate Universe back? It wasn't that bad.

mothman

She's fallen afoul of the THIRD great blunder (after the land war in Asia and the Sicilian thing) - following your career-defining role in a landmark SF TV show by... appearing in another, obviously-shonky-from-the-outset, SF TV show.

Icehaven

Probably just me being a bit prudish but they do seem to spend an awful lot of time wandering about in their skimpies (the women more than the men of course). Doesn't appear to be plot related, i.e. the ship's unbearably hot for some reason, so presume it's just an attempt to divert attention from the general badness.

Poobum

I'm going to have a go at watching the last episode, wanna see what the aliens are about. It does feel like there is a hint of a good idea somewhere in the show, but it's been buried by crap dialogue, really wierd acting choices (Sackhoff's sucking a lemon face acting is compelling, in how it was allowed) and badly implemented plots that have no impact. It also seems they have tried to reference pieces of other sci-fi works, but their method has been the equivalent of trying to shove as much shit as they can into a bag until the bag bursts.

Dex Sawash

How can  they make 10 characters seem like too many?
I do kind of like the sweary one though.

olliebean

In case anyone is thinking of watching it through just to see how it ends, I can tell you not to bother: it ends with a massive cliffhanger, which given the audience response to the show, will presumably never be resolved.

Poobum

Seconded. Nothing really original or compelling about the aliens. I do love it when they land on a alien planet an it's all trees, bushes and grass, just like modern earth. It's very interesting and in no way destructive to the nascent wonder. Do I care if the little girl survives? Why they could strip her screaming form to the bone and my eye would not bat.

Alberon

Here's an interview with Sackhoff where both sides gush about how great the show is.

QuoteWhen this project came your way, what was the pitch for the show and the character? What sold you on doing it?

SACKHOFF:  Being a producer on the show gave me a really interesting perspective on it, in the sense that nothing was created when I came in. We had the outline of what the show was gonna be, but I was in the writers' room and I got to really put what I feel is my fingerprint on the show, which is something that I was really looking forward to. In the trajectory of my career, it was the next thing that I really wanted to participate in. It scared me, in the sense that this was a very young crew, which means that it was gonna be a very young cast. I grew up in the business, and I've always been the youngest person on set. Going from being the youngest person on set to being the oldest person on set was interesting for me. So, I knew pretty much everything that was going to happen, from the very beginning. It was just the execution, done by Aaron Martin and the rest of the writing staff, that was just phenomenal.

Were there a lot of conversations about where this show could go, how the show could continue and where the story could go next with, with more seasons?

SACKHOFF:  Yeah, absolutely. Being in the pitch meeting with Netflix was one of the coolest things that I've ever done. Every one of the experiences that I've had on this show, as a producer is, has been one of the coolest experiences of my career, and I feel so blessed, but to have been in that pitch room, with Aaron and Noreen Halpern, with Halfire Entertainment, to pitch Netflix was very cool. So, we know where the show potentially will go for the first three seasons. As an actor, that was new for me. To really be a part of those conversations and to have an opinion was really cool.

http://collider.com/katee-sackhoff-interview-another-life/#challenges

I know actors really have to push their films and shows when they come out so I don't know how much you can actually believe of what she's saying here.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on July 31, 2019, 02:48:08 PM
In case anyone is thinking of watching it through just to see how it ends, I can tell you not to bother: it ends with a massive cliffhanger, which given the audience response to the show, will presumably never be resolved.

Yes I predict it's going to be Sackdhoff. What? Oh come on.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on July 31, 2019, 06:26:40 PM
Yes I predict it's going to be Sackdhoff. What? Oh come on.

+1/-0 karma for this post

McFlymo

Would it be too paranoid to suggest that Netflix were sniggering around their boardroom table, knowing this was always going to fail tremendously?

Are they doing this because splurging a few million on total crap is worth it, to get people talking? Perhaps some research somewhere has shown that people talking about how shit something is, actually generates more "engagement" or something?

Or is it really just a total misfire on their part and we've ended up with a turkey?

Dex Sawash

I finished watching this a week ago but couldn't remember the name.
It maintains its poor quality all the way to the end. Maybe they'll reboot it mashed up with The OA

Puce Moment

I keep getting this confused with The Expanse having only seen one episode of each.

Is The Expanse worth persevering with? I certainly cannot continue with this shit. Just about the whole world knew that Prometheus was a moderately entertaining film that could have been really great if they dealt with the stupid crew selected for the trip. It appears that the makers of Another Life thought that was the best thing about Prometheus and have doubled-down hard.

Alberon

The Expanse starts good and gets better. This pile of shit just starts to stink more as time goes on. 

Puce Moment

Quote from: Alberon on August 30, 2019, 04:11:04 PMThe Expanse starts good and gets better. This pile of shit just starts to stink more as time goes on.

Aha, ok, I will give it a go. I didn't like the 'cool' pacey writing in the first episode at all. I love great SF and detest all other SF with a passion so it's always tricky continuing with long-form drama.

Alberon

Don't ask me how, but Another Life has actually managed to secure a second season.

Netflix starts chopping shows off before their natural end, yet renews this one?