Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Tool album

Started by lankyguy95, July 29, 2019, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

It's finally happening. Fear Inoculum out 30 August.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0g5SswFfSU/

idunnosomename

Remember Systema Encéphale

Stopped being bothered quite a while back tbh. And there was a point where I was absolutely fascinated with them.

thugler

Yeah i find them a bit embarrassing really. Something i thought was cool and clever when i was a teen but a bit lame now.

idunnosomename

Danny Carey is a fucking amazing drummer by any account though. And I do think Lateralus is a wonderful album after all this time. I was disappointed by 10,000 Days though. But haven't heard it for years and I can't stream it and the CD is always really dear because of the fancy packaging.

Early albums might have all the edgelord stuff about fisting and bumming and weed and shooting people in the head but whatever. All good fun and lots of good Zeppelin-esque riffs when you boil it all down to the essentials

thugler

Yeah carey is great, Lateralus (the song) was always a fave

Good run of three albums from Undertow to Lateralus. Some massive riffs along the way, and they always managed to make complexity sound accessible and musical, rather than awkward for the sake of it. The key to that was Maynard's voice I think. You might need to start counting to get the timing of the other instruments at times, but the vocals tied everything together.

Take Lateralus the song. The bit "I embrace my desire to..." features some great drumming that sounds totally divorced from what else is going on. The guitar in 4, and drums in 5 as I recall. Likewise the outro bit - guitars in 4 and drums in 6. But you can listen to it and enjoy it without knowing that and just enjoy it for what it is because the vocals tend to latch on to the more intuitive base part.

earl_sleek

Saw them live a couple of months ago, sounded fucking incredible. Descending and Invincible both sounded very trippy, I wonder if this is the album they fully embrace that side? There was also an extended solo Danny Carey section that wasn't at all shit - more proof he's a great drummer.

10,000 Days has some great tracks on it - Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, The Pot - but it doesn't hang together as well as Aenima or Lateralus, and has a few dull moments.

They do have a lot of embarrassing pseudy fans and could easily end up in the "clever things for stupid people" thread, which is pretty funny when you remember they're named after a slang word for penis. I think they take themselves a lot less seriously than a lot of their fans do. I like em cos they have BIG EPIC RIFFS and ROCKING GROOVES and I like it when MAYNARD SCREM.

I might be tempted to see them if it were inside and about £30 like it was around 10,000 Days. I've quit outdoor shows, and I'm not paying stupid money to see anyone.

They've perhaps fallen victim to a growth in fan base prompted entirely by YouTube in their absence. As alluded to above - clever things for stupid people - where there can be a comments section circle jerk about how this is 'real' music.

They seem bigger now than 15 years ago, where I managed to get a ticket to the Cardiff show a couple of days before it happened. Saw them in the Manchester Apollo too. Fairly unimaginable now.

sevendaughters

the clever things for stupid people thread is in General Shit!!!!!!!!!!111

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Probably more excited about being able to stream old albums on Spotify. Lateralus still stands up as a decent album.

When I was a teenager I was ob-sessed with Anemia (sp?) and Lateralus. I didn't care that much for Undertow, but those two are cosmic, revealing more and more with each subsequent listen. I had lost interest by the time 10,000 days was released.

idunnosomename

I saw them on the Lateralus tour, Manchester Apollo in 2001 and the ticket was £12.50. Pay more than that for tribute bands now. oooh ahh im an old man (I'm not an old man)

Anyway just to be OGT Opiate is pretty good too, not really sure what's comparable to it in 1992 but also it had little direct influence. I mean they stand up for me because they are very riff-based under all the oh look our time signatures are the golden section and we have deep lyrics about jung and child rape. For all them not being metal they did have some beefy and occasionally speedy riffs and rarely eschewed a solo break however simple it might end up being. I mean in that sense they're like Soundgarden, who are probably still more productive than them on average even though they're finished forever.

popcorn

Saw them at a festival 10 years ago. Was appalled by the monitors with endless videos of spooky blue people with wires coming out of their eyeballs and that sort of thing. Looks shite mate.

lankyguy95

All their albums went up on streaming sites today.

lankyguy95

The title track from the new album is out on streaming sites now.

magval

More of this newer style Tool. No agency to it. I like it and can listen to it but I'm always going to be going back to those first two releases.

alan nagsworth

I have no doubt in my mind that this will be total shite. Albums that take this long are never worth it.

magval

Monotheist by Celtic Frost was 15 odd years in the making and certainly worth it.

Carcass and At The Gates also returned from huge breaks with class albums. Metal fares well in these circumstances.

lankyguy95

It's... ok. No progression from what they were doing before.

bgmnts

I like Hooker With A Penis.

Carry on.

earl_sleek

It's good, but not mind blowing. Sounds a lot like Lateralus - if you like Tool generally, you'll probably like this, but if you don't then it won't change your mind. Based on Invincible and Descending I was expecting something trippier, perhaps they've gone with something a bit more accessible as the lead track.

TBF it's impossible for the album to live up to the weight of expectation. More of the same wouldn't be too bad, given how disastrous most returns after this length of time are.

earl_sleek

Quote from: bgmnts on August 07, 2019, 09:55:17 PM

I BET YOU DO BGMNTS YOU DIRTY OLD BOLLOCKS

Shaky

Quote from: magval on August 07, 2019, 08:47:47 PM
Monotheist by Celtic Frost was 15 odd years in the making and certainly worth it.

Carcass and At The Gates also returned from huge breaks with class albums. Metal fares well in these circumstances.

Those bands split up and the members did other things before regrouping, to be fair. Tool have always been a going concern, haven't they?

magval

Yes, that's right, those were all 'reunion' records. Tool just carried on as you say. Rammstein also released something new this year after ten years or so of just touring and existing, and that album is just there. Nothing especially memorable about it.

More of the same is an odd thing to return to after so long.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on August 07, 2019, 09:55:17 PM

Carry on.
i like maynard's dick!!

Cuellar

Yeah...nothing too out of the ordinary for Tool really. It's fine.

Cuellar

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on July 30, 2019, 05:47:13 PM
Probably more excited about being able to stream old albums on Spotify. Lateralus still stands up as a decent album.

It's certainly fun listening to it and being catapulted back to angry, sullen post-first girlfriend and love of my (then) life having ditched me Cuellar that's for sure.

But yeah for real, Lateralus the song is a belter.

Shaky

Quote from: magval on August 08, 2019, 07:46:24 AM
Yes, that's right, those were all 'reunion' records. Tool just carried on as you say. Rammstein also released something new this year after ten years or so of just touring and existing, and that album is just there. Nothing especially memorable about it.

More of the same is an odd thing to return to after so long.

It is, although I guess it depends on the band, what sort of stuff they did previously and how much of a fan the listener is. I was never a follower of Rammstein, for example, so their latest sounds pretty much the same as their previous stuff to me. I totally concede that it's not for me to decide, though. With the likes of Carcass, I know them so well, and they evolved so much in their original run, I could hear every tiny little retread in Surgical Steel to an unfairly critical degree for a while. Still a brilliant album, mind.

Not sure what my point is other than it's weird, this releasing-an-album-after-many-years lark.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Shaky on August 08, 2019, 12:12:35 PM
Not sure what my point is other than it's weird, this releasing-an-album-after-many-years lark.

Yeah, At The Drive-In's 2017 comeback album could have been any other post-hardcore band doing a mediocre-to-decent At The Drive-In impression, which was a real disappointment considering every release they put out before splitting in the early 2000s had pushed their sound forward in various ways as well as being full of great tunes.  Although it really didn't help that they were missing Jim Ward who had been a major part of the band from the beginning.

I haven't listened to the new Tool track yet but as someone who was obsessed with them as a teenager, then as a twenty-something just shrugged upon hearing 10,000 Days for the first time, the 'more of the same' comments aren't exactly getting me hyped.