Author Topic: New Tool album  (Read 1232 times)

iamcoop

• Don't bring Harry
Re: New Tool album
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
It sounds exactly how you’d imagine a new Tool song to sound like. You’d have thought they would’ve tried to push their sound forward a little bit more in the decade or so between records.

I used to love Tool but listening to this new one yesterday made me feel like I’ve probably outgrown them a little bit. Which is obviously my issue, not theirs. The archetypal Maynard nonsense lyrics made me cringe a tiny bit. Plus the artwork is terrible.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

• Nothing is ever as good or bad as you think.
    • http://www.last.fm/user/georgethebadger/
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?) and the're gonna drop the REAL SHIT. Proper trolling like mate. But no, it's just the sound of artist in their 50s treading water.

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?) and the're gonna drop the REAL SHIT. Proper trolling like mate. But no, it's just the sound of artist in their 50s treading water.

that was the main conspiracy theory when 10000 Days leaked wasn't it? that it was a fake leak.

boki

• Defecranium
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?)

Mate.  St. Anger, mate.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »
that was the main conspiracy theory when 10000 Days leaked wasn't it? that it was a fake leak.

Yeah, that and if you played certain tracks simultaneously it revealed the true songs.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
Mate.  St. Anger, mate.

fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tock fran-tick-TICK-TICK-TICK_TICK _TWAT TWOCK LYME DISEASE

DURR NURRR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURRR NURR  NNEEE NEE NEEE NEEE

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
It might be "pissing about in a 3D studio program for like 20 minutes" at least it's not Iron Maiden's Dance of Death which was the same, but much worse

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
I haven't listened to the new Tool track yet but as someone who was obsessed with them as a teenager, then as a twenty-something just shrugged upon hearing 10,000 Days for the first time, the 'more of the same' comments aren't exactly getting me hyped.

Ditto.

alan nagsworth

• even the bombs and scarecrows will sing
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:10 PM »
Amusingly enough me and my housemate were hanging out in the kitchen earlier and he had some music on. Having not given Tool the proper time of day in maybe a decade or more, I remarked "this sounds like a weaker version of Tool" and he replied "it is Tool". It was 10,000 Days. Shite album.

He played some older stuff at my request and even though it sounds quite nice - Carey's drumming and Keenan's voice, as others have noted, are particularly strong - I just don't see any wider appeal. Lyrics like "I need to watch people die" about tabloid journo-sensationalism. Come on mate. Rick & Morty for people who think they like prog.

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
Heard the new one, sounds exactly like tool. But nothing new really. I always thought the guitarist was the weakest point, he's a bit limited. I think it sounds a bit like an outtake from 10,000 days. Not arsed. And worst graphic design/font ever

alan nagsworth

• even the bombs and scarecrows will sing
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »
yeah honestly that cover art, fucks sake. putting that sort of bevel effect on a typeface, what are you, a breakfast cereal? a psytrance festival flyer? get shagged

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
I like the band Tool and the new Tool song sounds very much like a Tool song so I like the new Tool song because it sounds like Tool.