Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Tool album

Started by lankyguy95, July 29, 2019, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

It sounds exactly how you'd imagine a new Tool song to sound like. You'd have thought they would've tried to push their sound forward a little bit more in the decade or so between records.

I used to love Tool but listening to this new one yesterday made me feel like I've probably outgrown them a little bit. Which is obviously my issue, not theirs. The archetypal Maynard nonsense lyrics made me cringe a tiny bit. Plus the artwork is terrible.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?) and the're gonna drop the REAL SHIT. Proper trolling like mate. But no, it's just the sound of artist in their 50s treading water.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on August 08, 2019, 04:16:46 PM
I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?) and the're gonna drop the REAL SHIT. Proper trolling like mate. But no, it's just the sound of artist in their 50s treading water.

that was the main conspiracy theory when 10000 Days leaked wasn't it? that it was a fake leak.

boki

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on August 08, 2019, 04:16:46 PM
I hope it's all just a kind of joke album and single (surely artwork that bad is a joke?)

Mate.  St. Anger, mate.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 08, 2019, 04:18:43 PM
that was the main conspiracy theory when 10000 Days leaked wasn't it? that it was a fake leak.

Yeah, that and if you played certain tracks simultaneously it revealed the true songs.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: boki on August 08, 2019, 04:41:25 PM
Mate.  St. Anger, mate.

fran-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tock fran-tick-TICK-TICK-TICK_TICK _TWAT TWOCK LYME DISEASE

DURR NURRR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURR NURRR NURR  NNEEE NEE NEEE NEEE

idunnosomename

It might be "pissing about in a 3D studio program for like 20 minutes" at least it's not Iron Maiden's Dance of Death which was the same, but much worse

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 08, 2019, 12:50:19 PM
I haven't listened to the new Tool track yet but as someone who was obsessed with them as a teenager, then as a twenty-something just shrugged upon hearing 10,000 Days for the first time, the 'more of the same' comments aren't exactly getting me hyped.

Ditto.

alan nagsworth

Amusingly enough me and my housemate were hanging out in the kitchen earlier and he had some music on. Having not given Tool the proper time of day in maybe a decade or more, I remarked "this sounds like a weaker version of Tool" and he replied "it is Tool". It was 10,000 Days. Shite album.

He played some older stuff at my request and even though it sounds quite nice - Carey's drumming and Keenan's voice, as others have noted, are particularly strong - I just don't see any wider appeal. Lyrics like "I need to watch people die" about tabloid journo-sensationalism. Come on mate. Rick & Morty for people who think they like prog.

thugler

Heard the new one, sounds exactly like tool. But nothing new really. I always thought the guitarist was the weakest point, he's a bit limited. I think it sounds a bit like an outtake from 10,000 days. Not arsed. And worst graphic design/font ever

alan nagsworth

yeah honestly that cover art, fucks sake. putting that sort of bevel effect on a typeface, what are you, a breakfast cereal? a psytrance festival flyer? get shagged

druss

I like the band Tool and the new Tool song sounds very much like a Tool song so I like the new Tool song because it sounds like Tool.

Head Gardener

I'd never heard anything by them before I downloaded this and it's rather good eh, if a little Metallica-lite

lankyguy95

I'm two listens in and I'm bored.

Head Gardener

ah it's OK, it just kinda washes over you - not quite sure what the fuss is about them, I saw a load of their CD's in a charity shop for 50p a go and couldn't be arsed

lankyguy95

The other four albums are really good though. Ænima and Lateralus certainly - both classics. I expect this will grow on me to some extent but it's done basically nothing for me on early listens. Just very underwhelming so far.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 25, 2019, 09:18:26 PM
ah it's OK, it just kinda washes over you - not quite sure what the fuss is about them, I saw a load of their CD's in a charity shop for 50p a go and couldn't be arsed
that's surprising, because the cover art makes them very desirable. 10,000 Days dithers into utter irrelevance by its end but I'd still pay a few quid for the 3D-specs packaging if i saw it. Shame Europe was done over with AEnima's cover, I'd pick up the lenticular version of that if I saw it too

The Taylor Swift mash-up that's been doing the rounds is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/56Cqbk9CJz8

Head Gardener

easytarget

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2019, 06:27:31 PM
It might be "pissing about in a 3D studio program for like 20 minutes" at least it's not Iron Maiden's Dance of Death which was the same, but much worse
Nah, the Tool cover doesn't even had an Eddie on it.
Where's yer fuckin Eddie, May-nard?

magval

One or more of the Maiden lads has confirmed that the final DoD cover was presented as a mock-up, and they refused to let it be finished and insisting on using it as-was.

For reference:

Pauline Walnuts

Killing Joke on Support for the North America Tour.

idunnosomename

Quote from: magval on August 29, 2019, 06:33:30 PM
One or more of the Maiden lads has confirmed that the final DoD cover was presented as a mock-up, and they refused to let it be finished and insisting on using it as-was.

It was Harris and Smallwood. Dickinson says in his autobiog that it was embarrassing and they should've let the artist have a bit more input (but the story came out way before that).

Anyway this album is fine. King Crimson all over it though

sevendaughters

Heard this in full tonight. If you like 60 minutes of a 14 year old on guitar with a drummer who likes to hit very small toms all at the same plodding tempo then do I have a record for you. Horrible.

Hundhoon

i saw them in Brixton in 2001 just after Lateralus came out the show was very good. amazing visuals. i went through a phase of really liking Aneima but basically have not listened to it for 15 years as lost all interest in what the band were about, now i just see it as bit lame...except for Undertow from 1993 , that is the only thing i still really like by this band. very odd metal record odd production, weird how it became a multi platinum seller. like the artwork still sounds really good.
also still like the tracks Stinkfist and Parabola  listened to 10.000 days for like 5 minutes could not be bothered with it

i always thought A Perfect Circle's debut Mer De Noms was by far the best thing Maynard ever did though. that record is amazing, better than anything Tool did by miles. gorgeous mixture of gothic dream pop and hard rock.
Alan Moulder and Flood produced it just everything great about those two as well on the record.
Cocteau Twins/ Cure/My Bloody Valentine/Dead Can Dance with a hard rock twist, i still listen to it loads. not dated. sounds better now

BRen

They're basically just King Crimson (but worse) for metalheads aren't they? I gave it a listen and yeah, seems that way to me.

earl_sleek

Only had a couple of listens so far but I like it. I would say one for the fans though, I doubt it will convert anyone who doesn't like Tool already. So far, it seems more traditionally proggier than previous albums, more of a 70s feel with more guitar solos etc.

^^Mer de Noms was the first heavy album I bought, and yeah it's fantastic. One of the best-sounding metal albums ever. I probably rate it above Tool as well, although back when it came out I hated Tool so maybe that's part of it.

sevendaughters

I actually feel some sparks coming off a King Crimson record, some sense of energy and spontaneity. This is 7 really long rehearsals with some overdubs manicured into submission, plus 3 experimental tracks that make Varg's prison records look like Eno.

I'm off the opinion that the second APC album is one of the best rock albums of that era. The first two are both great, but the second even better. The most recent is the worst variety of dog egg available.

Did anyone hear Chinese Democracy and which one's better?