Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Tool album

Started by lankyguy95, July 29, 2019, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Chinese Democracy is better than Fear Inoculum.

iamcoop

Chinese Democracy is a good record. I don't care what anyone says. Two or three absolutely fucking cringe moments on it but it's full of ideas and far better than anything Slash has ever put his name to since the Use Your Illusion albums.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Am I alone in quite liking it? I'll admit that most of the criticisms are pretty valid, but despite not really liking the production and the songs being fairly turgid, I like it much more after a few listens.

Not a patch on Lateralus mind.

idunnosomename

To reiterate, I quite like it. It's intriguing and I keep coming back to it. Partly I think it's down to nostalgia for Lateralus. I mean it's so Tool in that it's incredibly simple material (the riff on the first track is essentially just three notes for four minutes) but also sophisticated in what they do with it

Intro to the last song is Frame By Frame off Discipline, though, down to the dropping notes

alan nagsworth

Ah my GOD this is so boring.

First line on "Invincible": 'Long in tooth and soul'. Come on lads fucking hell, 13 years for this yeah? 13 years for sub-everything-else-in-your-career guitar riffs shamelessly tarted up with a cheap delay slapped on? 13 years for tom rolls? 13 years for phasing a riff and a beat with a different time signature like it's really trippy and mind-expanding music? This is like the bit in that Bill Bailey standup where he says U2 would have fuck all stage presence without a reverb pedal. You would have to be seriously stoned or stupid to enjoy this dreck.

What the fucking HELL is this complete flaccid wank of a synth on "Invincible"? How is that considered even remotely good fucking HELL, even Shpongle isn't this shit, and Shpongle is REALLY SHIT. I don't think I can be bothered to give the second half of this bollocks album my time. Christ the way all the big songs do that revelatory crescendo section at the end. Complete toss. Just like all long-awaited albums are. I knew this would be shit and I was right.

alan nagsworth

Decided to listen to it all because I've not been on CaB properly for a little while and this is basically just like someone humming two notes in my ear for an hour and half which is about all it's good for: not wanting to sit in silence but wanting something that's just slightly better than silence.

"Chocolate Chip Trip" and "7empest" are the only halfway good songs on this dog egg of an album. Every fucking "proper" song has the same DUGGA DUGGA DUG bit and it usually happens at the end when the track predictably thunders to an abrupt end. Very progressive. 'Push the envelope, watch it bend' eh fellas? Get fucked.

A dreadful and completely pointless album. About as transcendent, mind-blowing and otherworldly as waking up from a good, not great, sleep and thinking 'ooh yeah I got some of that fancy peanut butter yesterday, quite fancy some of that on toast". Up until this point I had some respect lingering for Tool because Lateralus is a pretty good album despite it just being a nicely polished and elaborate depiction of a stoned teenager's wet dream, but thanks to Fear Inoculum I will never willingly listen to a shred of this band's music ever again in my life.

popcorn

When Tool find out about these posts...

alan nagsworth

sevendaughters

might regret this but I did a review of it on my lesser-used twitter account
https://twitter.com/ButterMagnate/status/1168624003604516865

Cuellar

I wouldn't say it's a good album.

It's certainly an album.

alan nagsworth

Nice tweets, sevendaughters. Incidentally after I ripped the fuck out of it on here and my Instagram story last night I saw The Needle Drop's review and his thoughts echo ours fairly accurately. It's a good watch if you like that sort of thing.

sevendaughters

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 04, 2019, 11:14:55 AM
Nice tweets, sevendaughters. Incidentally after I ripped the fuck out of it on here and my Instagram story last night I saw The Needle Drop's review and his thoughts echo ours fairly accurately. It's a good watch if you like that sort of thing.

just watched. thought he was generous!

the ouch cube

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 03, 2019, 06:36:11 PM
Am I alone in quite liking it? I'll admit that most of the criticisms are pretty valid, but despite not really liking the production and the songs being fairly turgid, I like it much more after a few listens.

Not a patch on Lateralus mind.

It's good, yeah. Isn't 'turgidity' kind of a feature of prog-metal, though? As and when it gets hyperactive (The Mars Volta), people tend to complain about that as well.

Lots of insufferably pompous types going "ooooh they're for teenagers, i've grown out of them" (what do you want, a cookie?), but that was always going to be the case.

lipsink

I'm quite liking this one now. It's starting to grow on me and feels a bit more like the proper follow up to Lateralus. Pneuma sounds like classic Tool and while there isn't exactly much progression, at least stuff like the vocoder vocals half way through Invincible and similar effects on Litanie contre la Peur show they're experimenting with moving outside their usual sound. Much better than 10, 000 Days anyway.

a duncandisorderly

I was enjoying the fact that they seemed to have said everything they were going to say & had jacked it in.

this ruins that on so many levels. typical.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: the ouch cube on September 04, 2019, 03:10:30 PM
It's good, yeah. Isn't 'turgidity' kind of a feature of prog-metal, though? As and when it gets hyperactive (The Mars Volta), people tend to complain about that as well.

Lots of insufferably pompous types going "ooooh they're for teenagers, i've grown out of them" (what do you want, a cookie?), but that was always going to be the case.

This record is turgid in the worst possible way, though, in that it is highly insubstantial beyond its own sense of self importance. There is absolutely nothing here that Tool fans haven't heard before. In fact beyond the utterly shit synth interludes in many places it is almost regressive. If you want another trite but wholly accurate observation I'll be the one to say it: "Tool by numbers". It doesn't kick off at all in the same thrilling way that tracks like 'Ticks & Leeches' once did, and the meditative soaring bits pale enormously in comparison to tracks like 'Disposition' and 'Reflection'. 80% of this is retreading old ground - badly - and the rest of it vaguely stabs in the dark at brooding trippy synth work and fails miserably.

Music for teenagers is perfectly fine - I revisited the first Rage Against The Machine album this week for the first time since I was 17 and was utterly thrilled by how much it still shreds - but if you're not going to back it up with any credible style then you rightfully deserve to have the piss ripped out of you for wasting a decade and a half loosely arsing about with tunes as paper thin and lacklustre as this entire album. The ENTIRE ALBUM is that bad. Not just, like, half of it. No. All of it. Rubbish.

thugler

Oh it's really bad. Mostly due to the guitar playing which sounds weirdly cheesy in places now. It's like he suddenly decided he wanted to play solos and licks as well as fairly generic riffs in odd time.

As others have said just sounds reheated. And don't get me started on the shitty little digital synth stuff which sounds like anyones first go messing around with the presets.

sevendaughters

alan nagsworth

^ Hahahaha fucking christ. I watched a few fleeting chunks of this and threw up all over myself. The fact they've got the same headphones as me makes me want to throw the cunts in the bin and never listen to anything ever again. Abysmal

sevendaughters

just where they're closing their eyes and nodding along with the deep riffz is probably the worst of non-fascist youtube

idunnosomename

Why do i want to see a married couple reacting to music. What iswrong with this world