Author Topic: Jarett Kobek (and all the people YOU like)  (Read 291 times)

Jarett Kobek (and all the people YOU like)
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
I mentioned his Only Americans Burn in Hell in the "newish fiction" threat but nobody gave a fuck or a tuppence.

He is clearly friends with Stewart Lee, Alan Moore, and Iain Sinclair -- a power triumvirate/hairy throuple who clearly see him as a kindred spirit.

There are clues throughout the novel that this is the case, but there's also an enjoyable conversation between Kobek and Moore on YouTube, which confirms it. Watch the whole thing if you're not a NINNY, but skip to the 35-minute mark (or thereabouts) to hear about his relationship with Lee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcK-Hb29-2M

Funcrusher

• Been shot up more times than Tom Mix
Re: Jarett Kobek (and all the people YOU like)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
Iain Sinclair has written approvingly of I Hate The Internet in his recent book. Not read anything by Kobek myself.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Iain Sinclair has written approvingly of I Hate The Internet in his recent book. Not read anything by Kobek myself.

Ah, cool. Was that in Dark Before Dark?

I saw him speak of I Hate the Internet in an LRB video about a year ago. He adopted a surprisingly warm, paternal tone. I think Jarett Kobek might be their three-way baby.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
I've read I Hate the Internet and really liked it. It is the only I have read because it is the only one I can get from the local library. Thanks for the Alan Moore interview I'll listen to that.

Funcrusher

• Been shot up more times than Tom Mix
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Ah, cool. Was that in Dark Before Dark?

I saw him speak of I Hate the Internet in an LRB video about a year ago. He adopted a surprisingly warm, paternal tone. I think Jarett Kobek might be their three-way baby.

Wasn't aware of the existence of Dark Before Dark. I think it must have been in The Last London.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
Wasn't aware of the existence of Dark Before Dark. I think it must have been in The Last London.

Thanks Funcruncher. I'll check it out.

kittens

• kittens
  • Silver Member
  • don't have a cow man
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:35:11 PM »
liked i hate the internet but found the future won't be long boring and didn't finish it. i'll read another one, sure

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
liked i hate the internet but found the future won't be long boring and didn't finish it. i'll read another one, sure

Only Americans is the only one I've read so far and I really liked it. It's also full of funny/arrogant remarks about the success of I Hate the Internet and the failure of The Future Won't be Long, so if nothing else, the author agrees with you!