Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxygen Not Included

Started by Noonling, July 31, 2019, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Oxygen Not Included is finally out of Early Access and I threw caution to the wind and bought it today.

Its by Klei Entertainment, most well known for doing Don't Starve, so visually it has that same dark-cute feel to it. It's a colony sim, so the gameplay seems like a more accessible Dwarf Fortress or a more physics-minded Rimworld, with the side-on viewpoint of games like Terraria. That viewpoint was what put me off buying it at first as I'm played enough Terraria-clones to last a lifetime, but otherwise it has little in common.

I've only played it an hour so far but I'm enjoying it and rather hoping it will turn into a 100hr+ type game. It has cute little animations and a heck of a lot of different aspects to it, from managing water, to breathable air to electricity. I imagine the micromanaging could potentially put people off this, and I still feel a little overwhelmed (though enthralled) by all the little details on the menus that I have no clue about, or how they feed back into the game.

Also: moddable.

Anyone else played it, or planning to?

madhair60

let me guess the oxygen is DLC

Noonling

YOU'RE a DLC, mate.

Anyway, Rock Paper Shotgun have done a review, which I largely agree with... It feels like it's a game of problem solving and I feel I have to be in the right mood to play it. Much more comparable to Factorio than Rimworld - you need to balance liquids and gases and temperature and power and so on. I haven't warmed to my dupes (duplicants/colonists) in the same way that I do with Rimworld, they just feel like a resource to be managed.

The interesting this is that there is no real external threat, as far as I know - everything that goes wrong is essentially your fault. Unlike Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress where external threats will come in planning to murder your colonists. The one point I disagree with in the RPS review is that I don't generally feel like I'm in crisis mode - I think that's only really an issue if you try to expand in too many ways too fast. Although I haven't played about with temperature-changing stuff yet (trying to generate things from clean power), and I understand that's where the major challenge is.

I think its mostly tempting me to play all those other games I compare it to.