Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Galaxy

Started by The Boston Crab, July 31, 2019, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've not touched this in years, not since I just played what I liked and didn't really think about it too much. I got my decrepit old battered Wii out of the loft today and started Super Mario Galaxy again and holy Joe if it isn't still as good as any game ever made.

The music and sound effects are like something from a dream. I know that dream is partly my happy life twelve years ago, eating hot dry noodles and feasting on twenty year old ass, but it's still so ethereal and delicate and beautiful and triumphant and funny and deranged.

I thought it would look like a blurry, fuzzy smudge on a modern telly but through some Wii2HDMI converter I got for sod all, it looks gorgeous! Might help that I've played plenty of PS1 recently but I've also been playing Far Cry 5 on the One X, you know? This still looks magnificent to me.

The feel of the thing. Holy Joe. I don't know where to start. This is Mario for me.

The gravity and shifting, flipping, rotating environments. Long jumping off a planetoid and getting caught in the field of a nearby mass and swinging around before landing comfortably. It's one of the best feelings and sensations of physical movement in all of gaming.

Has anyone heard of this one?

Consignia

I'd love to play them again, but I can't be fagged with the Wii. It's been ported to that weird Chinese console hasn't it? Maybe Nintendo could make the small jump to taking that and putting it on the Switch proper.

madhair60

I played this a few years ago, maybe 4. Got every Star and can't honestly say I was bored or annoyed by a single second. It's just constant joy.

I like the sequel as well but it's markedly less interesting simply because it's more of the same.

madhair60

The player control is unmatched as far as I'm concerned. The comfort of the remote/nunchuk, the single air spin for course correction, the sheer feel of the long jump - both freewheeling and ultra-precise. 10/10.

Absolutely agree with you. The long jump is a thing of beauty. As you say, it's utter freedom, excess, a joyous vault into the unknown, and yet it's also a microscopically nuanced and susceptible to after touch and fine correction. Amazing sensation. Imagine away for a few days but I just want to be home playing this shit.

Thursday

In my memory it was better than Odyssey. I don't care that a lot of it was designed for the wiimote and nunchuck, bring it to switch. Do it tomorrow.

Kelvin

It's the best platforming of any 3D Mario and it's highs are the highest in the entire series, but in the interest of making some counter points, I also think the game has the weakest endgame, and that the comet stars which make up almost half the content are honestly, for the most part, shit.

It's basically 60% one of the most perfect games ever made, 40% shit filler. Obviously you don't have to do all the comet stars to complete the main story, but I don't much like having to avoid main content just to enjoy a game. A great game, though, obviously.

Thursday

Kelvin