Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists with both a song you love and a song you hate

Started by TheMonk, August 01, 2019, 02:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

For example:
Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home is a bloody cracker (as is Blue) but She Drives me Crazy is poorly written, poorly sung, badly produced bollocks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I love everything by Marvin Gaye, except for Sexual Healing. Eroticism for Mondeo drivers.

popcorn

Danger of this thread just being "songs you don't like by bands you like" which is a bit vanilla. So I'll try to keep mine to acts I don't intimately know.

I somehow only recently discovered Rasputin by Boney M. In fact I heard the extended Nightflight to Venus / Rasputin version with the drum intro. I thought I'd discovered something incredible, some unknown funk act that was going to earn me loads of kudos with my hipster mates. I showed it to my mate Laura and she was said "Are you having a fucking laugh? This is what you have played at your birthday party when you're seven."

Well fuck you Laura, I think this is an incredible song. Anyway, then I realised this was the same act behind Rivers of Babylon, which I did know, and ballsing heck what a piece of shit that is. Pina colada sick.

gilbertharding

Quote from: popcorn on August 01, 2019, 03:44:50 PM
I somehow only recently discovered Rasputin by Boney M. In fact I heard the extended Nightflight to Venus / Rasputin version with the drum intro. I thought I'd discovered something incredible, some unknown funk act that was going to earn me loads of kudos with my hipster mates. I showed it to my mate Laura and she was said "Are you having a fucking laugh? This is what you have played at your birthday party when you're seven."

I'm sure I've heard that drum beat (the one which starts at 46 secs) somewhere else - on a Solid Steel mix cd or something, with the guitar riff from Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun laid on top of it (either by the DJs doing the mix, or from wherever the drums came from in the first place).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: popcorn on August 01, 2019, 03:44:50 PM
Danger of this thread just being "songs you don't like by bands you like" which is a bit vanilla. So I'll try to keep mine to acts I don't intimately know.

Well fuck you Laura, I think this is an incredible song. Anyway, then I realised this was the same act behind Rivers of Babylon, which I did know, and ballsing heck what a piece of shit that is. Pina colada sick.

You're absolutely right, Rasputin by Boney M is bloody brilliant. I think you should sever your friendship with this Laura person immediately. Yes, they regurgitated some noxious MOR toss in their time, but they (or rather their shadowy German svengali Frank Farian, who went on to mastermind Milli Vanilli) also produced disco bangers such as Daddy Cool and Ma Baker. Kitsch as all hell, but it's not as if Farian didn't know that at the time.

Daddy Cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otna9Pe3jWg

Ma Baker
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6eKmqSEa0

SpiderChrist

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 01, 2019, 04:00:38 PM
I'm sure I've heard that drum beat (the one which starts at 46 secs) somewhere else - on a Solid Steel mix cd or something, with the guitar riff from Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun laid on top of it (either by the DJs doing the mix, or from wherever the drums came from in the first place).

Cozy Powell innit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpfZnBvBF0

bgmnts

Tom Tom Club have the distinction of making one of the best and one of the most godawful records I've ever heard:

Genius Of Love - an absolute classic, always brings back great memories

Wordy Rappinghood - just fuck off with that sub-Python "ni ni ni" crap!

bushwick

Love - Eminem - Murder, Murder (off the top of my head)
Hate - Eminem - Sing For The Moment (off the top of my head)

Love - Jay-Z - Big Pimpin' (off the top of my head)
Hate - Jay-Z - Young Forever (off the top of my head)

I could do this with lots of rappers tbh

Golden E. Pump

Chris de Burgh. I won't reveal my conversational underthings.

TheMonk

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 07, 2019, 12:05:05 AM
Borderline is good, the rest is bollocks?

boki

It was a helluva long way down from Crazy In Love to Single Ladies, Bey-bae.

wosl

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 07, 2019, 12:05:05 AM

Agree.  I find Lady in Red really dreary, but love A Spaceman came Travelling, Don't Pay the Ferryman, and Spanish Train.