Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread

Started by Mister Six, August 01, 2019, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

putting aside the argument and how wrong he is and bad he is at having it: banking your kid's future on an argument that is essentially never going to be "won" is the most insane thing i have heard.

Dewt

I wonder if he would have the gall to claim that they are not safe (from bathroom trans perverts) unless he wins this fight

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Graham Linehan actually * has* gone insane at this point, hasn't he?

Shouldn't we all be saddened at this turn of events?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 16, 2020, 07:05:15 PM

yes. whereas Gervais and Doyle and a few other well-earned punchbags of here have sided with a certain sensibility for money, there is a genuine and earnest no-win/only-loss aspect to Linehan's folly that is not the route taken by anyone in full possession of their faculties. to the extent that i think winding this thread (which, again, i am sure he is aware of) down is probably a wise idea. i get it though. it is fascinating to see someone career suicide like this.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 16, 2020, 07:05:15 PM

Nope, because he was never a nice person to start with. Even before he went full-on transphobic he was a Twitter bully and we'd seen how he treated people on that behind the scenes feature on the Ted DVD, as well as how he came across in interviews.

It would be sad if it was, say, Grant or Naylor, or Mitchell or Webb, or French or Saunders who had gone publicly insane over a couple of years.

idunnosomename

saddest thing is he and his minions tried to convert "nicest guy on Twitter" Michael Rosen today. I hope he can see him for what he is: an abusive man

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2020, 06:18:39 PM
Quote from: Glindr/Graham Linehan...people with body dysphoria...

Oh, he admits it exists then?

So then why be so cunty to those that suffer from it?

Jollity

I would be very sad if Michael Rosen hopped on the TERF bandwagon :(

idunnosomename

I can't believe it would happen because he
a) cares about people
b) doesn't have a huge ego
c) has plenty of things he's interested in already

but even him naively asking to hear out Transgender Trend made me sad :(

edit no he basically told them to fuck off
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1217459297854152704

this was the reply that piqued him. as nearly any genuine person, he saw through it very quickly
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1217373545803780097

Famous Mortimer

Michael Rosen's too smart and politically aware for that shite.

phantom_power

Fucking hell its like the jackals descending on him. And they call trans activists a cult

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 16, 2020, 08:08:59 PM
I can't believe it would happen because he
a) cares about people
b) doesn't have a huge ego
c) has plenty of things he's interested in already

but even him naively asking to hear out Transgender Trend made me sad :(

edit no he basically told them to fuck off
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1217459297854152704

this was the reply that piqued him. as nearly any genuine person, he saw through it very quickly
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1217373545803780097

Both of those tweets seem a bit ambiguous to me.

canadagoose

Quote from: Jollity on January 16, 2020, 08:04:56 PM
I would be very sad if Michael Rosen hopped on the TERF bandwagon :(
I'd be the same. Can't the bloody terven leave people alone for once?

idunnosomename

tomasrojo

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 16, 2020, 09:54:44 AM
That's basically it. Lots of countries have 2 centre-right parties, but normally they're clearly distinguishable as the moralistic Christian one and the fun-loving internationalist atheist party; Ireland has 2 centre-right parties whose only difference is the stance they took on the 1921 peace treaty.

Yeah, it's a bit unusual, especially as they don't really have a disagreement about even that now. I guess Fine Gael is a little more right-wing, while Fianna Fáil is more flexible, and often takes on characteristics of whatever junior party they're in coalition with.

I suspect things are about to change anyway. There's a big fight due over long-neglected climate change commitments, and probably a lot of meat/dairy votes available for some sort of denialist party.

vic spanner

Linehan's a fucking disgraceful, immoral excuse for a human being, rather than being 'insane'. To call him 'insane' implies that a mental health condition leads to immoral behaviour. Not all of us mad people are immoral on his level.

idunnosomename

i mean this is a big moral quandary about culpability. i think that linehan is genuinely mentally ill (not that I fuckin know anything), but also he has enough agency over his actions that he could seek help if he desired. but he seems to be happy with the path he's on.

chveik

bgmnts

I wouldnt mind it as much if he were just a nasty cunt who likes laughing at transpeople its the fact that he tries to hide behind it being good for women.

Its good for women that I made fun of that transperson and made a batman joke. Its good for women.

vic spanner

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 16, 2020, 10:46:26 PM
i mean this is a big moral quandary about culpability. i think that linehan is genuinely mentally ill (not that I fuckin know anything), but also he has enough agency over his actions that he could seek help if he desired. but he seems to be happy with the path he's on.

I suppose it's about how any mental health difference is linked to his frankly disgusting behaviour. He's obviously quite functional, but yes, maybe he does have some form of mania or even psychosis. However, as someone who is on that particular path, I'm able not to go there - I can be obsessive / deluded without channelling that into a cause that is harmful towards others.

In that sense, it's absolutely about culpability and your own moral compass.

Danger Man

Wow.  Now we have good mentally ill and bad mentally ill.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Barry Admin

It's okay, we stole it from Larry David, so it fits right in.

Danger Man

Well if Larry David says it's ok then I'm in.

But again, Linehan is very ill and history won't be kind to this thread.

Zetetic

Danger Man

Quote from: Zetetic on January 16, 2020, 11:14:26 PM
Which threads will history be kindest to?

My David Mitchell and Victoria Coren thread because it happened.

idunnosomename

history wont give a fuck about this thread or graham linehan, but the latter is a transphobic cunt who is fully responsible for the path he takes

chveik

Danger Man

Quote from: chveik on January 16, 2020, 10:48:24 PM
this thread is starting to go round in circles...

We've reached the end. Linehan has bad AIDS and that's that.

This forum has always been very supportive of mental illness but it turns out your mental illness has to be of a certain kind.

Oh well....

Barry Admin

I don't think he's mentally ill, I think he's a massively obsessive cunt with a Twitter addiction which has got seriously out of control.