Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread

Started by Mister Six, August 01, 2019, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Danger Man on January 16, 2020, 11:12:00 PM
Well if Larry David says it's ok then I'm in.

But again, Linehan is very ill and history won't be kind to this thread.

Mental illness doesn't excuse being a nasty cunt really.

Quote from: Danger Man on January 16, 2020, 11:29:56 PM
We've reached the end. Linehan has bad AIDS and that's that.

This forum has always been very supportive of mental illness but it turns out your mental illness has to be of a certain kind.

Oh well....

Its an armchair diagnoses. I wouldn't make such sweeping statements when you cant make a judgement based solely on the bits of him he puts online.

He's certainly warped and obsessed. He sees this issue through a prism but we dont know if he is mentally ill. It wouldn't be surprising with his lack of self awareness but it could just be his personality and his fragile ego at its worst

Zetetic

He doesn't seem to be distressed excessively. On the contrary.

His second order desires don't, yet, seem to be in great conflict with his first order desires.

His reasoning and perception, while often poor, isn't unusually deviant and self-injurious (althought obvious that's particularly open to judgement).

Hard to see how a "mental illness" label here would be about helping anyone, rather than dismissing someone.

(Don't care about culpability. Don't think illness or injury are necessary paradigms for offering help.)

Barry Admin

I'm happy to stand by these threads, I think his horrible, destructive, bullying bigoted behaviour should be documented and commented upon, and I'm happy to let trans people know we're on their side.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on January 16, 2020, 11:38:45 PM
Mental illness doesn't excuse being a nasty cunt really.

Right. Plenty of people suffer mental illnesses without being arseholes. And those that do find themselves prone to lashing out or being sharp don't usually make a point of victimising entire groups of people or bullying individuals.

Plus Glinner was well documented as a prickish, mob-weilding cunt even before all this TERF shit kicked off.

Dewt

It enrages me when people say "they have x mental illness and so they are a write-off as a human being", but avoiding giving shit to an individual because they are mentally ill helps nobody. Fuck glinner's mad tits off.

Brundle-Fly

Can we all get mental illness roight, for feck's sake!!?  Jaysuss!

Bronzy

Jockice

Quote from: Mister Six on January 17, 2020, 12:49:10 AM
Right. Plenty of people suffer mental illnesses without being arseholes. And those that do find themselves prone to lashing out or being sharp don't usually make a point of victimising entire groups of people or bullying individuals.

Yip! And as I said in my school bullies thread on the main page, not all bullies have had such terrible life experiences that they are somehow psychologically compelled to become bullies. Some are just bullies because they enjoy bullying.  I've met enough bullies in my life - I might as well have the words 'easy target' tattooed on my forehead - to truly believe that.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dewt on January 17, 2020, 12:51:09 AM
It enrages me when people say "they have x mental illness and so they are a write-off as a human being", but avoiding giving shit to an individual because they are mentally ill helps nobody. Fuck glinner's mad tits off.
It's also just plain old-fashioned circular reasoning. "We shouldn't castigate this person for the shit they post because they're mentally ill. How do I know they're mentally ill? Why, just look at the shit they post"

Maybe there needs to be Usenet-style internet law to cover this sort of thing, Glinner's Razor or something, never attribute bad social media behaviour to mental illness when it's at least as readily attributable to shitheadedness.

phes

Quote from: Zetetic on January 16, 2020, 11:47:35 PM
He doesn't seem to be distressed excessively. On the contrary.

His second order desires don't, yet, seem to be in great conflict with his first order desires.

His reasoning and perception, while often poor, isn't unusually deviant and self-injurious (althought obvious that's particularly open to judgement).

Hard to see how a "mental illness" label here would be about helping anyone, rather than dismissing someone.

(Don't care about culpability. Don't think illness or injury are necessary paradigms for offering help.)

Yes ^

I have probably been guilty of using language along the lines of Graham going mental, but don't for one second think he's actually sick. I do think that constant Twitter warfare must be pretty poor for a lot of people's mental health though. I never tweeted, but even reading it and getting involved in arguments was such an awful and futile experience that I recently deleted my account to remove the temptation

Jockice

Jess Phillips has done a Tweet asking for people to tag a 'brilliant woman' who they think may support her. Glinner was straight in with this lot.

Graham Linehan
@Glinner
·
11h
Replying to
@jessphillips
@janeclarejones

@boodleoops

@bindelj

@helenstaniland

@BDimyon

@MForstater

Hmm. I wonder what all that lot have in common?

phantom_power

Did he deliberately name his new social media site, that is sweeping the nation by the way, after the good witch in The Wizard of Oz?

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 17, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Lmao big man do big threat to norwich uni

https://mobile.twitter.com/Glinner/status/1217929615743815681

Give me back my Father Ted DVDs!!!!

Hi @uniofeastanglia.
At least you know what to do in order to rid yourself of this nasty prick.
Well done on your gender neutral toilets BTW.

Two terfs, one stone. Result.

Love that he constantly threatens to leave places if they don't change their behaviour but never actually has the guts to do it. Classic bully behaviour. He started Glindr out of fear of being banned on Twitter, but you know he'll cling to his Twitter account until they actually shut him down.

McFlymo

I think he is mentally ill, but I also feel that shouldn't excuse his evil behaviour.
If a mentally ill person has to face consequences in the eyes of the law, then a court can decide if there was diminished responsibility, until that time, their behaviour has to be treated as it is: Abusive and dangerous. ... I'm not a lawyer or anything of the sort, obviously, so hey, what the fuck do I know... But that would be my gut reaction.

I don't want to hear the cries of "poor Graham" begin to build, because people are too afraid to look at the vile shit he is doing and the whole vague "national treasure" aspect.

Guy's a rancid piece of shit, tbf.

Thursday

He's obsessive, addicted to it and the reasons why that is stems from something, but I don't know if that can be defined as mental illness.

Quote from: McFlymo on January 17, 2020, 07:13:35 PM

I don't want to hear the cries of "poor Graham" begin to build, because people are too afraid to look at the vile shit he is doing and the whole vague "national treasure" aspect.

Don't think anyone is really, just Danger Man being contrarian.

Ambient Sheep

Like anyone would want them any more... the charity shops will be slowly filling up... I know that I don't have any more desire to rewatch The IT Crowd and even Ted wouldn't be easy.

I'm sure UEA will be absolutely devastated, and I love that he thinks they'll care.  His narcissism strikes again!

jobotic

Jollity

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 17, 2020, 07:16:57 PM
Theyre after Louis Theroux now!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/CurlyKing79/status/1218125460556656640

I seem to remember Louis Theroux doing a sympathetic programme on trans children so, unless I am confusing him with someone else, I feel confident that he's not transphobic.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jollity on January 17, 2020, 09:27:23 PM
I seem to remember Louis Theroux doing a sympathetic programme on trans children so, unless I am confusing him with someone else, I feel confident that he's not transphobic.
again, like michael rosen, he isnt a hateful dimwit so im confident too

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 17, 2020, 07:16:57 PM
Theyre after Louis Theroux now!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/CurlyKing79/status/1218125460556656640

I feel like one hatchet job Louis doc could end this guy

Come on Louis, you fucked up the Saville one, time to give something back!

(Ends in a shot of glinners sad face, lit by a computer screen at night)
(Graham is still working on the father Ted musical)

Cardenio I

The gulf between the war these people think they're fighting and the reality of their circlejerk hate wanking into the void is immeasurable.

buttgammon

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 18, 2020, 09:49:01 AM
I feel like one hatchet job Louis doc could end this guy

Come on Louis, you fucked up the Saville one, time to give something back!

(Ends in a shot of glinners sad face, lit by a computer screen at night)
(Graham is still working on the father Ted musical)

That would be great but at the same time, Louis would understandably be reluctant to make a documentary about someone who never leaves the house, especially as he often asks probing questions that elicit revealing answers while in someone's car.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jollity on January 17, 2020, 09:27:23 PM

That was Louis, yeah. No transphobe he.

phantom_power

Quote from: Cardenio I on January 18, 2020, 10:14:49 AM
The gulf between the war these people think they're fighting and the reality of their circlejerk hate wanking into the void is immeasurable.

Yes, and when will they realise that showing someone on the other side of the argument to you is a bad person doesn't negate their side of the argument

Fucking hell, state of him in that video he's just posted.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Potatoes on January 18, 2020, 01:36:42 PM
Fucking hell, state of him in that video he's just posted.

Oh come on, at least he's wearing something different today.