Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread

Started by Mister Six, August 01, 2019, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

It's a very odd thing I still see coming up  "Why can't you just be a bloke who likes traditionally feminine things Eh?!!!! CHECK MATE' TRANS PEOPLE!!!" When surely the only real point you need to accept is that Gender can be more complicated than the sex you were assigned at birth.

I think the likes of Glinner realize how awful it would look to accept no ground there, so they constantly focus on the more extreme examples  to obfuscate  the issue

idunnosomename

hahaha

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1173587677448409089

I think John was asking if his wife is ok since the one tweet a day thing seems to have been thrown out of the window. Or they're fucking

Twed

I love it when Linehan does that

"Interesting thing about <figure who is definitely already reading this>. Just raising it with you guys. Very interesting."

What a gossipy old cunt.

mr. logic

Quote from: Twed on September 16, 2019, 06:47:37 PM
I love it when Linehan does that

"Interesting thing about <figure who is definitely already reading this>. Just raising it with you guys. Very interesting."

What a gossipy old cunt.

A somewhat pathetic stab at being a tough guy really isn't it? Jon Ronson.

phantom_power

And didn't their disagreement amount to Glinner following Ronson around saying "please agree with me on this" until Ronson said "please leave me alone".

Some of those comments though, going on about the emotional work being put on the woman, AS USUAL, and some mumsnet twat claiming he got his wife to defend him in a thread about him having an annoying voice. Ugh

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 16, 2019, 06:32:36 PM
hahaha

I think John was asking if his wife is ok since the one tweet a day thing seems to have been thrown out of the window. Or they're fucking

Hahaha fuckinell, tuned out of this for a while (how does he keep at it EVERY SINGLE DAY!) but this has proper cracked me up. Poor old Jon.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Thursday on September 16, 2019, 06:21:26 PM
When surely the only real point you need to accept is that Gender can be more complicated than the sex you were assigned at birth.

You'd think so but there's a lot of nuance in that statement that needs to be unpacked.

As far as I can tell there's generally broad acceptance that Gender (i.e. the outwards way you express your gender role - behaviour, dress, etc) is completely up to the individual and only a reactionary, bigoted git would object to how people express that. Sex on the other hand seems to be where the argument lies with some arguing that biological sex is fundamentally binary and therefore is not 'assigned' at birth, it is a fact, not an opinion.

I think if people separated the two terms out and didn't use them interchangeably, it might keep things clearer, as I think confusion comes when you have things like rape support centres - are they sex segregated or gender segregated?

Cuellar

QuoteI know feminist journos have written to [Ronson] on it and he just ignores them.

Imagine that. Ignoring women. What an awful man.

royce coolidge

Can someone tweet him that the IT crowd trans episode joke would have worked much better if Douglas had misheard her as coming from OMAN instead of IRAN ?

king_tubby

Why has he got that Lost Prophets dude as his avatar?

Zetetic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 16, 2019, 08:16:38 PM
Sex on the other hand seems to be where the argument lies with some arguing that biological sex is fundamentally binary and therefore is not 'assigned' at birth, it is a fact, not an opinion.
I don't that's really where the argument lies.

But I think there's often a difficulty clearly bringing out the link between sex and gender - by describing the first, we assign the latter (if not exactly there and then, then over time). Almost inescapably, as a consequence of living here and now.

QuoteI think if people separated the two terms out and didn't use them interchangeably, it might keep things clearer, as I think confusion comes when you have things like rape support centres - are they sex segregated or gender segregated?
And how would you tell, without sexually assaulting the people there?

Twit 2

Every now and then I click on a twitter link in this thread and I can only look at it for a few seconds before feeling overcome by sickness and revulsion. How do Linehan and his ilk withstand such toxicity? They're like cockroaches crawling in the apocalyptic ooze, fairly thriving on the discarded Greggs of The Last Man. By rights they should be all irradiated rags and broken teeth but somehow they are fattened by the experience — albeit a gross and aberrant nourishment, a Henry Hoover bag rippling with crime scene knickers and vomit capsules.

Thursday

I've muted glinner and some of his TERFY mates at this point, so when I click on a link, I jusy get a load of "This tweet is not available"

Bronzy

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 16, 2019, 06:32:36 PM
hahaha

Ridiculous, isn't it?

Bit like contacting someone's agent and trying to grass them up because they took the piss out of one of your Twitter friends, eh Graham?

mippy

Quote from: Thursday on September 16, 2019, 11:15:48 PM
I've muted glinner and some of his TERFY mates at this point, so when I click on a link, I jusy get a load of "This tweet is not available"

That usually means accounts are locked, or they've blocked you (I'm on a couple of TERF block lists, at least that's why I assume people with whom I've never interacted have blocked me)

mippy

The plot thickens: https://mobile.twitter.com/sineadactually/status/1173610505027690496

Absolutely not surprised that he started an alt account to be a dick to trans people.

phes

Some great logic to explain the alignment of trans-exclusionary and the right

madhair60

Jumblegraws

Quote from: mippy on September 17, 2019, 07:41:16 AM
The plot thickens: https://mobile.twitter.com/sineadactually/status/1173610505027690496

Absolutely not surprised that he started an alt account to be a dick to trans people.
Grim and pathetic. At this point I'd be surprised if the saga doesn't inspire an episode of Black Mirror. Hopefully starring Serafinowicz.

Brundle-Fly

I'd be interested to see a Jon Ronson doc on all this now.

idunnosomename

idunnosomename

Quote from: phes on September 17, 2019, 09:18:59 AM
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qBGWfJN5/Screenshot-20190917-091450.png[img]

Some great logic to explain the alignment of trans-exclusionary and the right
are graham just pulled the exact same trick spinning a Tuck Carlson DESTROYS Dem on gender vid. TERF hivemind moves fast.

phantom_power

How dare some bring a people's wives into this! They are far too delicate and in need of defending to face being talked to.

Cuellar

Also, if I've got the family tree right, not just 'his wife', but the caller's sister, no?

phantom_power

Yes but if he had mentioned that it might make him look a bit of a prick

idunnosomename

Umm I think being a MAN'S WIFE is more important than being a man's sister!

I mean really though he needs some serious therapy. He's all been an angry self-abusing man but Twitter has made him truly ill. The obsession to the point of sainthood with a mediocre hateful youtuber another expected escalation of his mania. (Give her an obit in the guardian! a doctorate! A statue! A chain of lesbian bars! Even though she only had 30k subscribers and only transphobics know who she is)

Cardenio I

Armin Meiwes

Sad thing is it's REALLY fucking obvious why Ronson would contact someone else (out of concern and knowing Linehans way too far gone to be talked to directly) but of course Linehan is way too far gone to realise that.

Thursday

Imagine being so far gone your own family publicly pleads with you to get help on social media.