Author Topic: The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread  (Read 236228 times)

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
Re: The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread
« Reply #2580 on: February 04, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
It would be fascinating to know what’s caused him to behave like this. It must be a combination of things at this rate.

Does anyone else have trouble actually understanding the stuff he’s writing about? Like, I understand the content, but it’s all so convoluted and skewed, the tone is pressured and verging on the manic.

I very rarely engage with social media (outside of this place and even then I don't post often) because I find it unhealthy for me but when I have (and have ended up in twitter "debates" that almost always escalate insanely quickly somehow) I have found my heart racing and felt a real excitement at the prospect of the next "volley". I suspect that is how Graham feels 24/7 and is why his posting comes across as so manic sometimes. For me, I acknowledged this is a very unhealthy and potentially harmful feeling that lends itself to wasting time in debates and squabbles that are ultimately meaningless and self-defeating. I don't think Graham possesses the self-awareness to come to such a conclusion. As others have stated, he doesn't want debate, he wants to win arguments so he's seemingly just always searching for the next "gotcha" article to re-tweet or trans person to harass. He's probably near-shaking with manic energy everytime he holds his phone and scrolls through articles and timelines, looking for the next way to be proven right and - more importantly - the next way to prove someone else wrong.

« Reply #2581 on: February 04, 2020, 11:33:03 PM »
most of his tweets are made via the Twitter Web app so he's presumably in the wanking den with the books behind. though he also uses his iPhone.

i cant believe he keeps this up daily for months on end. he is fucking manic

Jumblegraws

« Reply #2582 on: February 05, 2020, 05:13:05 AM »
Manic Tweet Screecher

« Reply #2583 on: February 05, 2020, 07:08:21 AM »
I think this whole time I thought it was Parker Posey. Or was she linked to some other movement?

I also thought it was Parker posey - who the fuck is posie Parker?

« Reply #2584 on: February 05, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »
Why would it be daring to say something in here? ;)

Anyway, I suppose I just felt that - however accurate - drawing in perceived transphobia from reddit people unrelated to Glinner might be a little off topic for a Comedy Chat thread on Glinner. There's clearly a strong nexus of shared opinion on this thread, and I do enjoy reading it, but it sometimes feels to me like it suffers from being tied to the one man. Cloud posting about a reddit lesbian that they found reprehensible made me think that that kind of post might better suit a general 'We Hate Transphobes' thread in GB. Anyway, I'll be off now!

This is a weird way of hiding behind a completely spurious procedural point to justify making a dashed off snarky post

Pdine

• Apparently I'm Jewish
« Reply #2585 on: February 05, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »
This is a weird way of hiding behind a completely spurious procedural point to justify making a dashed off snarky post

Not my intention; I do apologise!

« Reply #2586 on: February 05, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
I very rarely engage with social media (outside of this place and even then I don't post often) because I find it unhealthy for me but when I have (and have ended up in twitter "debates" that almost always escalate insanely quickly somehow) I have found my heart racing and felt a real excitement at the prospect of the next "volley". I suspect that is how Graham feels 24/7 and is why his posting comes across as so manic sometimes

I think there's a fair possibility he genuinely believes he's right and has wholeheartedly accepted the idea of "always stand up for what you think is right, to your last breath, even if everyone else thinks it's wrong" and thinks he's like... I dunno, Martin Luther King or something.  So when people call him out on his shit he just thinks he's being a brave and righteous warrior, taking attacks that women can't.

Almost like a nerd stereotype in that he's utterly convinced he's a Nice Guy (wonder if his Mrs 'owes' him sex afterwards?) but painfully oblivious that he's actually being a cunt.

« Reply #2587 on: February 05, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »
Considering he has such a legacy of co-written sitcoms it is absolutely amazing how he spends the best part of his day retweeting the same four gender-critical accounts and shitting his pants about transwomen on a single platform
I've no experience of co-writing a sitcom or indeed anything else, but I guess there are multiple ways of doing it. You can sit in a room with someone, shoot the breeze, try shit out, have a laugh. Or you can sit in a room on your own, fire drafts back and forth with your writing partner, and tear apart their contribution expecting to be demolished in turn. So sitcom writing could either make you a balanced human being skilled at interacting with others and correcting them politely, or a bitter cave-dweller who spends his time getting in petty arguments, tearing people down before they can rip you to shreds.

« Reply #2588 on: February 05, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »

This is very comforting.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #2589 on: February 05, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »

This is very comforting.

Is Jul '18 when he started off on all this stuff? Thought it was longer than that.

« Reply #2590 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »
It's not that co-writing sitcoms makes you not a cunt, it's just it gives you more options in life than sitting on Twitter retweeting the same fringe activists and insulting anyone who disagrees via their hair

Blue Jam

• Achievement Woman
« Reply #2591 on: February 05, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
He's threatening to sue a load of people now. Bankruptcy beckons.

That said, should we be a bit careful about what we say on here now? Neil?

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #2592 on: February 05, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
He often chucks lawsuit threats around doesn't he?

« Reply #2593 on: February 05, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
I think he only slept about 4am-8am last night. You can see him shaking retweeting everyone about pinknews. Hahaha.

« Reply #2594 on: February 05, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
He's threatening to sue a load of people now. Bankruptcy beckons.

That said, should we be a bit careful about what we say on here now? Neil?

Pretty sure his own Twitter history would support any accusations of him being a transphobic cunt.

Jumblegraws

« Reply #2595 on: February 05, 2020, 01:44:03 PM »
This seems like a pretty daft lawsuit in that, from what I can tell, it hinges on the lack of attribution of the quote in the headline (i.e. someone who sees the headline in passing might assume the quoted phrase is something he actually said). This is cleared up by simply reading the article, so I can’t see how it would fail an “honest opinion” test under English law. Has he caught the doomed litigation bug off of his pal Stu Campbell or has he tried this sort of nonsense before?

« Reply #2596 on: February 05, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »
I still don't understand the Stu verdict. He was at fault but also not guilty? Something like that?

« Reply #2597 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
I'd like to see are graham make a witness statement in court

"Who again did you say is behind this?"

Beards, your honour.

"Beards???"

Yes, beards. Oh, and Wokeus Dei. The Wokerati. The Woke Stasi.

Jumblegraws

« Reply #2598 on: February 05, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
I still don't understand the Stu verdict. He was at fault but also not guilty? Something like that?
Campbell was the complainant, Dugdale the defender. The Sheriff found that, although what Dugdale said about him was capable of being defamatory and couldn’t be defended to the judicial standard of veritas (i.e. shown to be objectively factual), it nonetheless met the standards of the fair comment defence, roughly the Scottish equivalent of the honest opinion test. Campbells spin on this is “boo-hoo, I was defamed but don’t get to be awarded damages because Dugdale was too stupid to understand what she was saying”. My spin, which I submit is the more fair-minded one, is that Stuart Campbell’s reputation is less important than the principle that journalists should be able to call out any prejudice they discern in something a public figure says without fear of litigation, since the judicial test of veritas isn’t supposed to be a universal standard of the merit of a statement. The salient quote in the judgement, which I’ve noticed Campbell is hellbent on never repeating on his oh-so-truth-hungry website, is this:
Objectively, and applying the common sense approach enjoined by Massie, not everybody will take Mr Campbell’s approach to a joke about homosexuality. It is common sense that the analysis applied by a heterosexual (a dispassionate application of logic based on the dictionary meaning of words) may be entirely different from the analysis applied by a homosexual person (a dismayed search for justification for an unnecessary joke at the apparent expense of a homosexual man). It is not possible to dismiss the latter as less worthy, or less rational, or less fair, than the former. It is the kind of subjective, rational and honest reading of the tweet, leading to a subjective, rational and honest public comment, which will be protected by the law as fair comment. Accordingly, the comment was fair, because it can be rationally justified from the underlying facts

« Reply #2599 on: February 05, 2020, 03:53:16 PM »

https://twitter.com/dearbhlala/status/1224847760077312001

@dearbhlala
I was at a table quiz tonight with a father ted round and the announcer noted that father ted was written by Arthur Mathews and NO ONE ELSE and I really love Ireland sometimes

Beautiful.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #2600 on: February 05, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
HE'S BEING DISAPPEARED

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2602 on: February 05, 2020, 04:30:34 PM »
Really sad Stewart Campbell is a cunt. I hope everyone else from YS and AP is a good egg. What's Jonathan Nash up to these days?

« Reply #2603 on: February 05, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »
Really sad Stewart Campbell is a cunt. I hope everyone else from YS and AP is a good egg. What's Jonathan Nash up to these days?

Interesting post about an AP reunion 4 years ago 2/3rd of the way down this page, inc some Nash info that does nothing to dispel any of the mystery: https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/291555-amiga-power-reunion/page/2/

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2604 on: February 05, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
Ooh cheers.

EDIT: Fuck me, a Guardian-sponsored public event. I thought it was just going to be a transcript of some people in a pub. Wish I'd known about that. I would probably have flown home just to attend.

Jumblegraws

« Reply #2605 on: February 05, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
Stuart Campbell reminds me of Maddox in that, for me anyway, a lot of the humour in their writing came from the absurdity of being so bellicose in the low-stakes worlds of video game journalism and low tech blogging respectively, then it turned out the self-awareness was limited and they actually think they’re crusaders in their fields. Prats.

At this point I should probably give the requisite Indy-supporter-who-hates-WoS acknowledgement that Campbell was a powerful force for the movement in the new tens. Prat.

« Reply #2606 on: February 05, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Paul Rose seems a decent chap, though.

madhair60

• カッコイイ
  • Golden Member
  • バカ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #2607 on: February 05, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »
Paul Rose seems a decent chap, though.

Biffo is good

« Reply #2608 on: February 05, 2020, 05:42:19 PM »
stuart campbell has always been a bellend, pretty much. i once got into an argument with him in the eurogamer comment section about picross, of all things.

jon ronson's back on the glinner disavowal train: https://twitter.com/jonronson/status/1225111045368434690

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #2609 on: February 05, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
A few years ago some of the celeb women on Twitter - Emma Kennedy, Caitlin Moran, that lot - did a day of Twitter boycott in protest at women constantly being abused on Twitter, which is fair enough if a bit lacking in self awareness. Are Graham was absolutely furious that the plebs weren't observing the day of action too. I think that might have been when I blocked him.

Campbell was always a bit of a dick - way back he had some daft campaign about the fact that - shock horror - fruit machines are fixed. And also, when he had (still may for all I know) a paywalled section of his website, one of the incentives to give him money was access to some Edinburgh Fringe bootlegs that I'm pretty sure I recorded at least some of.

Tags: Beard