Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Games based off of 'adult' cartoons from the 90s

Started by Jerzy Bondov, August 02, 2019, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

There are loads of games based off of 'adult' cartoons from the 90s. I'm specifying 'adult' or I'll be here all day and can't be arsed.

The Simpsons
Obviously has by far the most games based off of it. I had Bart's Nightmare, which is a sort of minigame collection where you go into different dreams trying to get Bart's homework back. Here's a fact about the game from Wikipedia: "Company meddling during the development of the game prompted Bill Williams, the game's designer, to leave the video game industry."

I also had Virtual Springfield, which wasn't really a game but more of an interactive CD-ROM experience. It wasn't very good and looked shite, really scratchy and cheap, but I loved it. I'd go to the Stonecutter's Mansion and just sit listening to the song. You could play some of the arcade games like Larry the Looter and Slugfest. It also had a lot of new voice acting from the full cast including Phil Hartman. Wouldn't mind playing this again actually.

Hit & Run is meant to be good isn't it? Don't know. What about The Simpsons Game (which came out around the same time as the film)? I remember reading it was a good parody of games.

Tapped Out isn't a game.

South Park
When I was in school and we were all going mental for South Park they brought out an FPS on the N64 and we went MORE MENTAL. The two best things in the world, South Park and N64 Goldeneye, brought together. You could throw a snowball, and you could wee on the snowball and it would turn yellow! Well it was a load of shit. There was also a Mario Kart knock off which was presumably shit as well.

But The Stick of Truth was really good, I thought. Doing a sort of Paper Mario knock off was a great idea, and being able to make it look exactly like the show instead of using weird 3D versions of Cartman and his crazy friends really helped. I haven't played Fractured But Whole. They made the combat more complicated? Not sure about that, I wasn't playing the first one for the deep combat. I wanted to see Mr Hankey.

Beavis & Butthead
There are three Beavis & Butthead games about Beavis & Butthead trying to get tickets to see Gwar. Mega Drive, SNES and Game Gear. I don't think I've played them but I definitely read the walkthroughs for both the MD and GG versions in a Sega magazine. I used to read walkthroughs like stories, like a sort of proto-streaming. I thoroughly enjoyed the escapades of Beavis & Butthead.

There's a later game called Virtual Stupidity. Never played it but they released the minigames as a separate thing called Little Thingies and I had that somehow. You could spit on people off a roof and Beavis & Butthead would laugh and say they needed TP for their bungholes. My dad was very cross when he found it on the PC and told me off. I moved it to some other folder so I could still spit on people off a roof and laugh about needing TP for my bunghole.

Futurama
The game of this seemed like basically the only chance we'd ever have of seeing more Futurama when it got cancelled (the first time) so I played it all the way through even though it was a pain in the arse. You can watch all the cutscenes on the DVD of one of the films. This is also a pain in the arse. More recently they did some shite phone game but times aren't as desperate as they once were so I haven't played it and I never ever will.

Family Guy
I thought there was just a Tapped Out style phone game but actually there are two proper games of Family Guy. Are they any good? No idea. Will I find out for myself? No. Hopefully some lunatic will come in here and say if they're good.

There's some Ren & Stimpy games too but fuck knows about that.

madhair60

Simpsons: I enjoy Bart Vs The Space Mutants despite it being absolutely shit. It's shit in a really weird, interesting way. Krusty's Fun House is legit. Arcade game is fun. That's it. Everything else pure pish. Oh wait I used to like Camp Deadly on Game Boy. Oh look I done a video about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsaNu_RQ3QI

The Futurama game on Xbox was good fun. Middle of the road but not bad at all

Family Guy games are pretty awful

Jerzy Bondov

Seen many arguments about SNES Aladdin vs MD Aladdin, but nothing on SNES Beavis & Butthead vs MD Beavis & Butthead. I might get them.

Totally forgot Simpsons Arcade even though I vividly remember it from my youth and it was one of the first games I put on my Pi cabinet. Shame I had to go with the 2P version.

madhair60

SNES Aladdin is better game MD Aladdin better graphics

Both Beavis games are poor imo

Mister Six

Duckman was an adventure game that I never played.

Thank you.

boki

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 02, 2019, 03:22:14 PMThere's some Ren & Stimpy games too but fuck knows about that.
DJ Slope covered them recently

Anyone for a game of Simpsons Wrestling? No, of course not.

Twed

If he ever stops talking like he's trying to burn 65 calories per word then maybe I'll watch another one of his videos sometime.

Twed

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2019, 03:38:45 PM
Both Beavis games are poor imo

I remember liking Virtual Stupidity at the time. The point-and-click genre worked well for the setting and characters and suited the suburban ennui of the show. It's probably got really awful puzzle design though.

Simpsons Hit & Run is brilliant. It's a GTA clone, with the whole of Springfield to explore and a great story backing it up. It would be easy for something like this to feel a bit false and contrived, but it's genuinely great.

Simpsons Road Rage is an expanded Crazy Taxi clone and is also excellent. They got sued by Sega for patent infringement, so you know it's on the money. The story is a bit contrived, but it's a good game.

bgmnts

South Park had some absolutely rotten games on the nintendo 64 and playstation.

Thankfully the Stick of Truth was sublime and Fractured Butt Whole was really fun too, so its done me good.

But yeah other than those two and Hit amd Run I can't think of any good licensed games.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on August 02, 2019, 05:19:41 PM
I remember liking Virtual Stupidity at the time. The point-and-click genre worked well for the setting and characters and suited the suburban ennui of the show. It's probably got really awful puzzle design though.

Nah I meant the console ones, just not so hot

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: popcorn on August 02, 2019, 05:19:41 PM

I agree with you. It was fully voice acted and seemed well written at the time. I remember having to go to a save the whale meeting to give beavis access to free coffee so he could go Cornholio to have the strength to.. I think pull open the hatch of a tank. But yeah, i'm sure it was the usual cryptic bullshit.

gmoney

I desperately wanted to play Virtual Springfield when it came out, but I never did. It doesn't look that appealing with adult eyes, I must say. Anyone played it? Shite?

SavageHedgehog

I enjoyed it as a kid, but I suspect it was very of its time. I know when I asked for it for Christmas, my family thought it would be a waste of money, which I don't recall them saying of any other game; speaking to a friend years ago, his family had the same reaction, so I guess it had a bad reputation.

Jerzy Bondov

It's not much of a game. You need to do certain things to unlock areas but it's not like there are proper puzzles to do or anything. The main aim is to collect baseball cards which are hidden around Springfield. Getting around is pretty awkward. I loved it at the time though.

The Simpsons CD-ROM I really put time into was Cartoon Studio. I spent hours making shoddy nonsensical ugly episodes of The Simpsons on that. These later formed the bulk of Season 19!!!!!

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, as others have said, Virtual Springfield is barely a game. There are about six 'locked' areas that require you to find certain objects that will grant you access, but other than that, you're just clicking round Springfield, reliving jokes, sight-gags and vignettes from the show.

It was a novelty at the time, but we're so used to exploring fully realised worlds in games these days that I can't imagine it holding much appeal for people today.

The baseball card hunt is also broken, as kid-me discovered you could just keep returning to the same screen and collecting all the cards from the same hotspot.

H-O-W-L

I'd say that if you can find a copy without having to fork out for it and you can get it running (probably via DOSBox?) then Virtual Springfield is still worth a crack, or watch a playthrough on Youtube, the latter is inauthentic but you won't miss fuck all really. It's a nice experiential thing but nothing you'll regret dying without seeing. I have fond memories of it but I know that's more because I'm a world-and-experience sorta twat myself. The gameplay of it is literally inexistent beyond a (terrifying as a child) Doom clone where you play as Apu blasting away demonic schoolkids.

EDIT:

Fuck it I watched a playthrough on Youtube. Don't bother really, just watch a playthrough. Fuck-all to do in it.

madhair60

If you want a copy it's on The Collection Chamber alongside many other classics that have been patched up to work on Win10. An amazing underrated site there. Ditto Zombo Lair (I think it's called)