Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing - Series 2

Started by solidified gruel merchant, August 02, 2019, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Couldn't see a thread. Starts tonight at 8:00 on bbc2. Isn't it great to have something to look forward to on telly for the next six weeks?

Endicott

Pseudopath

Ah....lovely as ever. Bit of a weird scheduling slot though.

the science eel

ooh it's so cosy and nice - perfect TV - Daily Mail

oh lovely! this gentle, warm show returns with these two lovable old chaps! put the kettle on - Daily Express

quietly moving and funny - yes put down your knitting! it's back - Daily Telegraph

oh oooh nice - Hello!

ooooh lovely oh

oh

Pseudopath

Quote from: the science eel on August 02, 2019, 08:47:32 PM

oh lovely! this gentle, warm show returns with these two lovable old chaps! put the kettle on - Daily Express

quietly moving and funny - yes put down your knitting! it's back - Daily Telegraph

oh oooh nice - Hello!

ooooh lovely oh

oh

Do fuck off.

Alberon

I hate fishing with a passion, but I'd watch Whitehouse in a river with Mortimer pratting around him all day.

It's great telly.

Loved that. Paul seems more relaxed, and they seem to have put more focus on the chat and less on the fishing. Beautiful scenery too. Agree with the weird scheduling, would suit a Sunday night 10pm slot I think.

Pseudopath

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on August 02, 2019, 08:59:04 PM
Paul seems more relaxed

Yes - Paul was definitely a lot more cantankerous in the first series. It always used to put me on edge as if he knew something about Bob that meant he couldn't conscionably act like he was the most-lovable funnyman known to Earth.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: the science eel on August 02, 2019, 08:47:32 PM

oh oooh nice - Hello!

ooooh lovely oh

oh

Do you feel better now?

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 02, 2019, 09:59:37 PM
Yes - Paul was definitely a lot more cantankerous in the first series. It always used to put me on edge as if he knew something about Bob that meant he couldn't conscionably act like he was the most-lovable funnyman known to Earth.

In series one, I think Paul was sometimes genuinely quite narked with Bob for not really taking the fishing aspect seriously. I can only assume that he's now settled into an understanding of what the show is - two funny old mates having a natter, with fishing used merely as a backdrop.

Twit 2

Cold Meat Platter

Yes Bob is up to his nuts in Paul for approx. 70% of the episode but you never really see it going in.

phantom_power

Quite a melancholic episode but lovely all the same

Bently Sheds

The cameraman shaking when Bob nearly fell in the river was ace.

sevendaughters

Suki Bapswent

I found season one very dull. Does it improve?

c

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on August 04, 2019, 06:59:58 PM

It has improved. I found S1 a little dull too but this was better. I think as someone mentioned above, Paul Whitehouse has got more into the right spirit of the thing

rasta-spouse

It has indeed improved from the somewhat boring S1, it's got this Robin and Marian elegiac feel to it now. Just needs a few more Mortimer jokes to take the edge off the melancholy.

Really like how they didn't go anywhere near filming Whitehouse dropping off his dad's ashes. Tasteful. Hope they can sustain an entire series. 

I'm currently finding it the opposite way round. The series two opener was good but as others have said Whitehouse has mellowed a bit, which is a shame as I quite liked the dynamic of childlike Mortimer slightly irritating his more cantankerous old pal.

But more than anything I'm just glad it's back. Absolutely lovely telly. I still find it difficult to say feta cheese without saying it like Bob. Fet-a cheeeese.

sevendaughters

I can't notice any real appreciable difference between the two. they pick some great spots though. the Usk is gorgeous. looked like they were near Crickhowell.

chrispmartha

I'm sure these will have been linked to but only just found Bob's alter ego Keith phoning into Iain Lee, Superb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGlPr2Hcp7E&list=PLg7_eVZ2UgqlYGDsDzJSJ9suxua1nM4lx

phantom_power

It seems like they find their destinations by going through Half Man Half Biscuit songs

Twit 2

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on August 04, 2019, 06:59:58 PM

Very slightly. If you didn't like the 1st series you probably won't like this one. The whole thing's as thin as their fishing lines. I find it pleasant enough.

Pranet

I liked the first series well enough but I thought the first episode of the second series was better somehow, maybe they have a better idea of what they want it to be.

Captain Crunch

I wonder whether the mention of 'one of the four meats' was a nod to the beef and dairy podcast?  Might be just a coincidence though. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: Captain Crunch on August 07, 2019, 06:12:56 PM
I wonder whether the mention of 'one of the four meats' was a nod to the beef and dairy podcast?

I thought the same, and I was sure it was...

Captain Z

Didn't notice much difference from Series 1, but that's not a criticism. Chuckled at "yer a good lad, Paul".

Pranet

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 08, 2019, 12:12:55 PM

Might be but Vic and Bob have a long standing thing about meat products.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 08, 2019, 12:12:55 PM

Did he not say one of the four main meats? I imagine even now, Bob is well beyond five, and is classifying them into a periodic table of meat. He's probably going to have chicken, guinea fowl and turkey in one column, beef, venison and lamb in another, then pork as a transition meat.