Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing - Series 2

Started by solidified gruel merchant, August 02, 2019, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 07, 2019, 09:15:25 AM
Appalled to see Whitehouse getting a panning on this prestigious comedy forum full of knobheads. Appalled. The Fast Show is a fucking masterclass in sketch comedy which has aged tremendously, a damn sight more than so many other shows of its type. Not only is Paul a fantastic comedy character actor (tbh I'd say almost unparalleled in terms of sheer diversity) he also displays genuine heart and beauty in a way that is so quintessentially British, loathe as I am to use such a phrase but it's fucking true.

Examples include (from The Fast Show) Ted and Ralph, Rowley Birkin, (from Help!) Monty the old Jewish chap coping with his wife's dementia, the very bolshy character who suddenly frankly admits he doesn't know who he is, and swathes of stuff on Down The Line.

Luck is not a factor whatsoever. He is a superb talent, one of the best we'll see. If you're expecting him to be hilarious in his day to day existence you're a mug and you may as well be asking some cunt who's good at writing songs to be poetic and metered and insightful in every thing they say as well. Get shagged. Literally go and shag yourself through a wall and keep shagging yourself until you're off a cliff and splattered all over the rocks with what's left of your genitals loosely assembled around the hand on the end of your twisted and gnarled arm. I won't hear another word on it. LOCK THE FUCKIGNG THEREAD

Beautifully put. Whitehouse is one of the greats.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 07, 2019, 02:47:49 PM
Nah, most of it does.  And the speed it whips along is still fairly unique, so even the shit characters/sketches are over in no time.

I was watching a bunch of the 'black' sketches cobbled together on YouTube the other day and was amazed at how brilliant they were, far better than I remembered.
"THEY LOCK ME IN THE CUPBOARD AND FEED ME PINS!"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

WHERE ARE WE SLEEPING TONIGHT MOTHER? FATHER'S GRAVE?

Cold Meat Platter

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on September 08, 2019, 05:56:15 PM
I was watching a bunch of the 'black' sketches cobbled together on YouTube the other day and was amazed at how brilliant they were, far better than I remembered.
"THEY LOCK ME IN THE CUPBOARD AND FEED ME PINS!"

And it's in those where Arabella Weir fits.  For all her own shit characters (although I always liked the rude Saffer), she was always the best at being the straight character in the sketches that required one (which I guess comes from her drama background which most people forget about or don't even realise - comedy was more of a second career for her).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Come along Johnny, I think it's about time we headed home now, don't you?

Was she meant to be his Mum or something?

Rizla

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 07, 2019, 09:15:25 AM
Appalled to see Whitehouse getting a panning on this prestigious comedy forum full of knobheads. Appalled. The Fast Show is a fucking masterclass in sketch comedy which has aged tremendously, a damn sight more than so many other shows of its type. Not only is Paul a fantastic comedy character actor (tbh I'd say almost unparalleled in terms of sheer diversity) he also displays genuine heart and beauty in a way that is so quintessentially British, loathe as I am to use such a phrase but it's fucking true.

Examples include (from The Fast Show) Ted and Ralph, Rowley Birkin, (from Help!) Monty the old Jewish chap coping with his wife's dementia, the very bolshy character who suddenly frankly admits he doesn't know who he is, and swathes of stuff on Down The Line.

Luck is not a factor whatsoever. He is a superb talent, one of the best we'll see. If you're expecting him to be hilarious in his day to day existence you're a mug and you may as well be asking some cunt who's good at writing songs to be poetic and metered and insightful in every thing they say as well. Get shagged. Literally go and shag yourself through a wall and keep shagging yourself until you're off a cliff and splattered all over the rocks with what's left of your genitals loosely assembled around the hand on the end of your twisted and gnarled arm. I won't hear another word on it. LOCK THE FUCKIGNG THEREAD
Check out late 90's Johnny Depp over here.

I agree wholeheartedly, the (seemingly unloved) Harry&Paul bears this out - something like the chocolatier sketches would easily fall flat with any other actor, but he can breath funny into that kind of stuff.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 08, 2019, 08:49:18 PM
Was she meant to be his Mum or something?

Husband and wife, but I seem to remember in one of the specials there was a line that suggested she was more of his carer now.

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2019, 08:50:30 PM
the (seemingly unloved) Harry&Paul

There are a few of us that think it was great.  This still kills me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaX205vig_M  "Ulf Yofetob".  And Pik the Saffer gym instructor.  Fuuuuuuck me.....

Twit 2

They're here, they're here! They're waiting on the pier!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on September 07, 2019, 10:08:58 PM
Whitehouse also stood out in a strong cast in the Death of Stalin

He has the best line in the film, towards the end. Those who've seen it will know the one I'm on about.

Phil_A

Another shout for the Landlady sketches from Harry & Paul. Just looked up the The Confectioner one on youtube and FUCK ME, ELEVEN YEARS AGO?? Time, you wretched cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a0odh8ro08

BUMGUMS.

kidsick5000

kidsick5000

Quote from: Phil_A on September 09, 2019, 10:45:14 PM
Another shout for the Landlady sketches from Harry & Paul. Just looked up the The Confectioner one on youtube and FUCK ME, ELEVEN YEARS AGO?? Time, you wretched cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a0odh8ro08

BUMGUMS.

Perfection. I even love the way he throws the pear drops back into the bag

Norton Canes

Oh while we're talking about Harry and Paul sketches (OK four days ago), can anyone find and link to the bit where they're playing the surgeons in their Oxbridge days, playing in a jazz band?

Hang on found it

Ray Le Otter

bgmnts

Whitehouse is brilliant everyone here can fuck off.

Putting him in the same category as Andy fucking Dawson has offended me personally.

the

Quote from: Ray Le Otter on October 02, 2019, 02:12:23 AMMy crappy audio of Bob and Paul with Charlie.

https://youtu.be/cfngyleXGcs

You're welcome.

Thank you so much for recording and posting this. Rarities like this are what makes CC worthwhile in its dotage.

Endicott

beanheadmcginty

No need to apologise for the audio quality Ray, it's better than half the podcasts I listen to (I'm looking at you Herring).

Ray Le Otter

Cheers guys.

It was a great 90 minutes at the Comedy Store with all three in fine form. Bob's anecdote about the outtake was a particular highlight.