Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing - Series 2

Started by solidified gruel merchant, August 02, 2019, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Pretty sure the first time I heard 'the four meats' was in The Royle Family

Blue Jam

Alberon

A little too contrived in places tonight. Could have done without the hair transplant clinic, but the real bits shone. Loved to see Bob get his carp, though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't know anything about the football goalkeeper David Seaman, but I love this idea - which I first discovered via Athletico Mince - that he's an irrepressibly happy man who laughs at everything. He sounds great.

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 10, 2019, 01:33:16 AM
I don't know anything about the football goalkeeper David Seaman, but I love this idea - which I first discovered via Athletico Mince - that he's an irrepressibly happy man who laughs at everything. He sounds great.

He was born on the same day as Jarvis Cocker. And my friend Judith. So there we go.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Small Man Big Horse

This is the first episode I've watched of the second series but I really struggled with it, there were some amusing moments but the majority of it was pretty banal - was it a particularly weak episode, or is the show just not for me?

alan nagsworth

The reason I enjoy this show is not that it's comforting and calming per se, but rather that it's a very gentle and unassuming portrayal of two men whom I would consider among the greatest British comedy talent of all time. Bob especially, since he is the funniest man on the planet to me. They don't feel the need to bring much of that side of their professional lives into the show at all, as it stands on its own merit, especially since the viewer is almost certainly well aware of the prior works of Bob and Paul. It's a great comfort to watch these two brilliant people find an outlet for their renewed health and to share it with us. A blessing.

Quote from: Captain Z on August 08, 2019, 01:35:50 PM
Didn't notice much difference from Series 1, but that's not a criticism. Chuckled at "yer a good lad, Paul".

This unintentionally got a proper Bob "hee hee hee" laugh out of me too.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 17, 2019, 12:34:12 PM
This is the first episode I've watched of the second series but I really struggled with it, there were some amusing moments but the majority of it was pretty banal - was it a particularly weak episode, or is the show just not for me?

It's the most overrated program on here since the Detectorists. For me, it's the equivalent of how depressing Sunday nights used to be when I was a kid and you'd hear the Last Of The Summer Wine theme playing in the background, reminding you of the impending doom of school the next day. There's something equally depressing about M&W Gone Fishing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 17, 2019, 02:20:48 PM
The reason I enjoy this show is not that it's comforting and calming per se, but rather that it's a very gentle and unassuming portrayal of two men whom I would consider among the greatest British comedy talent of all time. Bob especially, since he is the funniest man on the planet to me. They don't feel the need to bring much of that side of their professional lives into the show at all, as it stands on its own merit, especially since the viewer is almost certainly well aware of the prior works of Bob and Paul. It's a great comfort to watch these two brilliant people find an outlet for their renewed health and to share it with us. A blessing.

This unintentionally got a proper Bob "hee hee hee" laugh out of me too.

See I love both to pieces too, and see where you're coming from, but I just struggle to see what's that great about it.

Quote from: Fried Egg Sandwich on August 17, 2019, 04:01:53 PM
It's the most overrated program on here since the Detectorists. For me, it's the equivalent of how depressing Sunday nights used to be when I was a kid and you'd hear the Last Of The Summer Wine theme playing in the background, reminding you of the impending doom of school the next day. There's something equally depressing about M&W Gone Fishing.

See I loved Detectorists and genuinely found it lovely and relaxing in the way that many find this to be. But Detectorists also made me laugh a huge amount, whereas with this the laughs are intermittent at best.

Twit 2

The next episode (Tamar Lakes)

is filmed just a few miles from where I grew up. Used to walk round the lakes all the time as a kid.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 17, 2019, 04:44:40 PM
See I loved Detectorists and genuinely found it lovely and relaxing in the way that many find this to be. But Detectorists also made me laugh a huge amount, whereas with this the laughs are intermittent at best.

It's a docu-comedy I reckon. Lighter on laughs this week but still enjoyable. I think meeting the old fella really touched Bob. It's got a lot of warmth, this show.

shiftwork2

Noticeably more melancholy than the first series so far.  It's the reflective meanderings of two cherishable middle-aged fellas so I love it nonetheless.

Small Man Big Horse

c

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 17, 2019, 12:34:12 PM
was it a particularly weak episode, or is the show just not for me?

Weakest episode by far for me. Whitehouse off his game.

However I enjoyed the fleeting appearance of what sounded like Barry Homeowner boasting about his electric car.

Do agree it's overrated, but it's nice and sometimes funny. I wish they could find something great that really allows Bob to be incredible before he karks. He's never captained his own thing.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: c on August 17, 2019, 10:36:28 PM
I wish they could find something great that really allows Bob to be incredible before he karks. He's never captained his own thing.

Given that you yourself just mentioned Athletico Mince, I'm struggling to understand what you mean by this.

I finally gave this a go the other night. I could happily hear Bob talk about anything. I was even very pleased when, on Athletico Mince, it looked as though there was going to be a segment where Bob discussed white goods.

I don't think I'll be in a hurry to watch much more of this though. I've never really warmed to Whitehouse. His catchphrase comedy was never my thing. Maybe it's his over-the-top Cockney accent or his dour, miserable face but I just can't enjoy his company even in this relaxed setting.

Twed

Try watching Help! for catchphrase-free Whitehouse at his best.

Bennett Brauer

I can't get past the hook in a fish's gob as it's dragged gasping out of the water before being put back sub-plot.

But they're both funny, like.

c

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 17, 2019, 11:05:32 PM
Given that you yourself just mentioned Athletico Mince, I'm struggling to understand what you mean by this.

I mean on TV, with a budget and great fanfare. Something of his own that will go down in history. I don't think Mince is that, do you?

Blue Jam

There is a Bob Mortimer interview in today's Observer Food Monthly. He talks fishing, pocket meats and heart-healthy food:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/17/life-on-a-plate-bob-mortimer-17-spoons-sugar-tea-mum

poodlefaker

Nah, this is still dull. Two of the great British comic geniuses of the last 20 years and this is all they can come up with? Bob makes a bit of an effort but Whitehouse barely engages. "What was your dad like?" "Great". Mate, no-one's watching to see  your perfect casts: tell some funny stories about your famous mates. It's like Peter Cook's golf videos in the 80s.

It'd work better as a chat show, I reckon - Bob goes fishing with a different guest each week. Simon Day, Phil Oakey. "A Round With Alliss" type thing. Dawn French in waders and a silly hat? Come on!

dunelm

Quote from: c on August 18, 2019, 08:10:58 AM
I mean on TV, with a budget and great fanfare. Something of his own that will go down in history. I don't think Mince is that, do you?

Yes. Budget and fanfares don't make it funny. The material and performance do, not the medium. Highlights of Mince is Bob at his unfettered best.

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 23, 2019, 09:58:59 AM

It'd work better as a chat show, I reckon - Bob goes fishing with a different guest each week. Simon Day, Phil Oakey. "A Round With Alliss" type thing. Dawn French in waders and a silly hat? Come on!

That would work for me.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 23, 2019, 09:58:59 AM

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 23, 2019, 02:18:54 PM
That would work for me.

I do love the show as it is, but that would work for me too.

Norton Canes

Blue Jam

Isn't that Rich Hall's Fishing Show?

Actually, why hasn't Rich Hall guested on this? He'd be the ideal guest.

Twed