Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing - Series 2

Started by solidified gruel merchant, August 02, 2019, 06:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

The main problem being that Bob doesn't know how to fish.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Bob visits his favourite service stations in the company of various funny celebrity pals. 6 x 30. BAFTA in the bag.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Somebody should tell Bob that eating healthily does not necessarily mean that the food has to be bland and tasteless. That fish and cannelloni bean thing looked particularly shit. He mentioned that there was only a tiny amount of olive oil in it. Olive oil is good for you Bob, put more in. Maybe a bit of salt and pepper as well.

shiftwork2

Odd that they've persisted with the 'heart-healthy' angle after the first series, really.  Would have preferred it to just now be two mates who like going fishing together.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 24, 2019, 04:26:28 PM
Odd that they've persisted with the 'heart-healthy' angle after the first series, really.  Would have preferred it to just now be two mates who like going fishing together.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the remits for the show.

Also possibly serving Bob's newfound fondness for cooking?

beanheadmcginty

I do like the way Bob pronounces "heart healthy food" though.

Twit 2

Heart-healthy food. FFS. I'll say it again: is there healthy food which is bad for your heart? Tautologies really boil my piss and make me so angry!

Cold Meat Platter

Twit 2

Surely the two terms are much the same thing and quite similar and alike ?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 24, 2019, 09:58:03 PM
I'll say it again: is their any healthy food which is bad for your heart? Tautologies really boil my piss and make me so angry!

Having fairly recently had my old man's MOT and given an amber cholesterol warning, from the bumph I was given I think the distinction between "heart healthy" food and plain old "healthy" food is that food described as "heart healthy" specifically attacks/neutralises/whatever stuff is particularly bad for your heart, like cholesterol - hence the regular mentions of prunes, which basically eat cholesterol.  There are, I believe, plenty of healthy food stuffs which will not touch cholesterol.  So I don't think it's a tautology/pleonasm/whatever, rather a specificity.

That's my understanding of it at least, but someone else with more knowledge might pop in and correct me.

Cold Meat Platter

I believe that tautology is repetition, pleonasm is more redundancy.
Sorry, it was drink fuelled pedantry and I regret it bitterly.

Alberon

I think Bob going around with a different person each week would be awful. I don't want to watch a chat show. No matter where it's set or who is the host.

It isn't a comedy show, it's not a chat show. It's far gentler than most of the stuff we watch and probably shouldn't be stretched beyond this series, but I like this.

Bob failing to get up the bank and, later, finally landing a big fish were both good.

Twit 2

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 24, 2019, 10:05:24 PM
Having fairly recently had my old man's MOT and given an amber cholesterol warning, from the bumph I was given I think the distinction between "heart healthy" food and plain old "healthy" food is that food described as "heart healthy" specifically attacks/neutralises/whatever stuff is particularly bad for your heart, like cholesterol - hence the regular mentions of prunes, which basically eat cholesterol.  There are, I believe, plenty of healthy food stuffs which will not touch cholesterol.  So I don't think it's a tautology/pleonasm/whatever, rather a specificity.

That's my understanding of it at least, but someone else with more knowledge might pop in and correct me.

Hmm, good point. I will accommodate this notion and let this particular grievance go. Carry on Bob, you're alright.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm going to use this thread to make the observation that Bob hasnae aged very well at all, whereas his partner in comedy, Vic Reeves, has aged very well indeed, like a fine wine.
This somewhat bland observation is of a piece with the stultifyingly anodyne nature of this very programme, I would say. I only watched one episode of this series last week, but I rather feel that's all I need to see, the other episodes are probably exactly like that one.

Twit 2

East of Eden

After being underwhelmed by the first three episodes, I thought episode four was brilliant, managed to strike a balance between gentle humour, pathos, and nostalgia very well. Felt a bit like an episode of The Trip in the final part.

Twit 2

I suppose The Trip is the model for this: trading completely on goodwill to the participants and the beauty of the locations, but little to no actual content.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ja'moke

The excitement on Bob's face when he caught that bass makes it all worthwhile.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 25, 2019, 09:22:49 AM
Fags innit?

Indeed; this is one of my favourite Bob stories:
QuoteHe'd just come out of a triple heart bypass, and was recovering badly. The doctors had deflated a lung to access his heart during the operation, and the subsequent re-inflation had loosened 43 years worth of tar from smoking. That tar was now slowly oozing out of his mouth as an endless and gelatinous black slug, blocking the passage of air as it slithered and dripped down his chin.

From here: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9ag5mv/an-interview-with-bob-mortimer-the-serious-surrealist

Endicott

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 24, 2019, 04:26:28 PM

I think it's because their health and its precarious nature affect them both greatly. I'm almost surprised they don't mention it more, but on balance I reckon they manage it without labouring it. But then I am roughly the same age as them.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Endicott on September 05, 2019, 08:46:49 PM
I think it's because their health and its precarious nature affect them both greatly.

Absolutely - that moment towards the end of the pike episode where Paul asked Bob about his toe-to-top health and Bob said he'd miss Paul, before they broke with a wink to the camera there was genuine feeling and emotion there from both of them, especially Bob who I'm sure would've broke into tears otherwise.  Also cf. the other week when Bob was talking to that chap who had terminal cancer and his voice was wavering during the entire sequence - I think that's about the only time I've seen him maintain seriousness and sincerity throughout.  Ever.

neardark

There's no chemistry between them at all and Whitehouse is a grumpy, boring old gammon.

madhair60

Quote from: neardark on September 06, 2019, 06:50:19 AM
There's no chemistry between them at all and Whitehouse is a grumpy, boring old gammon.

Full of shit you are

dunelm

Quote from: neardark on September 06, 2019, 06:50:19 AM

That's bullshit.

Wet Blanket

I have the same feeling about him being paired up with Whitehouse as I do about him working with Andy Thingy on Mince - this is good but imagine how great it would be if he was doing it with Vic.

What's slightly missing for me is that Bob and Paul are obviously good pals but they don't have the Still Game Jack and Victor best mates vibe that the show appears to be aiming to trade off.

They do have chemistry though, bloody Hell

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd go along with neardark's assertion that Paul Whitehouse isn't all that funny.
He was blummin' lucky that lots of people liked "The Fast Show" (a lot of which is not terribly funny nowadays on re-viewing ), made a fair bit of dosh out of that, so he did. Think of all those crap, unfunny comedy shows he did with later period Harry Enfield. From what I've seen of that fishing programme, he's just not a naturally witty person, unlike Bobby boy.

poodlefaker

I'd say Whitehouse is one of the great character actors of British comedy, but I've been quite shocked at how he doesn't seem "naturally" funny in this. I'd assumed Down The Line was largely improvised, but there's precious little off-the-cuff stuff from him here, cf Bob's little bits as waiters etc.

Norton Canes

It's true that Whitehouse is more of a comic actor than a pure comedian, and certainly doesn't have the extemporary skills of Bob Mortimer (but then, does anyone?). I also think that to some extent he's deliberately playing a curmudgeonly role in this, at least to some extent. Perhaps if the roles were reversed and Paul was performing an activity under Bob's tutelage we'd see a different side of him as he'd have greater leeway to clown around. As it is, I think the role of curmudgeon suits him in this show.

Obvious thing, to the extent that it'll surely happen on Comic Relief - Reeves & Enfield: Gone Fishing, where Vic and Harry do the same thing as their respective sidekicks but can't stand to be in each others's company and spend the whole time hating each other

neveragain

Just popping in to stand up for Harry & Paul's later stuff, most of which still has me crumpled in admiration and mirth. There is no need to defend The Fast Show. Just watch it. So many great moments from a skilled team. Lucky? Whitehouse deserves his luck.