Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie You Love but Think Not Many Others Have Seen

Started by MortSahlFan, August 02, 2019, 11:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Harry and Tonto
Buffalo '66
Mikey and Nicky
A Taste of Cherry
Johnny Got His Gun
What Happened Was...
Dodsworth
The Incident
Never On Sunday
Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Shadows In Paradise
Ladybug, Ladybug
La Tera Trema
Fists In Pocket
David and Lisa
Il Sorpasso
Whity
Two Is A Happy Number
Hombre
Il Tetto
The Blue Hotel
Zandy's Bride
Little Fugitive
Lies My Father Told Me
The Working-Class Goes To Heaven
Joe (1970)
Come Back, Little Sheba
Home of the Brave
L'Argent

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Care to share your thoughts on some of these films? I've only seen a few of them, so it would be interesting to hear why you love them.

Not all of them, obviously, that's an extensive list!

Some great films there. Especially glad to see someone else likes Ladybug Ladybug. Frank Perry had some great films in the 60s and 70s and most of them could go on this list. Had the knack of being able to get under the viewer's skin. You ever see Man on a Swing?

zomgmouse

Rubin & Ed is my go-to one of these. Crispin Glover plays an eccentric teenager who has to go bury his cat and on the way meets a shit travelling salesman who's on his way to a self-help seminar. It's delightfully daft and odd.

Underneath the Silver Lake (2018/2019) is one of the best films of the last decade but I seem to be the only one who thinks so. Ambiguous post-Lynchian noir with occult imagery about the entertainment industry and the role of art in society (and other things). Andrew Garfield plays an inscrutable stand-in for millennial maleness.

Birth (2004) would have my consideration for best film of the millennium but it seems to be egregiously overlooked even by Jonathan Glazer/Under the Skin fans. Immensely deep and thought-provoking examination of romantic love with the controversial plot synopsis being that a Manhattan yuppie played by Nicole Kidman (in a career-best performance) finds herself in love with a ten-year-old boy.

greenman

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 03, 2019, 02:33:59 AMBirth (2004) would have my consideration for best film of the millennium but it seems to be egregiously overlooked even by Jonathan Glazer/Under the Skin fans. Immensely deep and thought-provoking examination of romantic love with the controversial plot synopsis being that a Manhattan yuppie played by Nicole Kidman (in a career-best performance) finds herself in love with a ten-year-old boy.

I don't remember much about the original release but I'm guessing some pedomania media reactions helped sinked it along with it being mis sold as a more conventional thriller? doesn't fit into the Stew like narrative that the long wait until Under The Skin was were Glazer really evolved as a film maker either or indeed that nobody seems very interested in giving it a home re-release(still not on Blue Ray).

I'd agree though that its on the same kind of level as his latter film, visuals perhaps less eye catching but still very effective with some wonderful lighting of actors faces. Honestly as well I don't really see the problem with the plot, the film treats it as being uncomfortable in the way it should rather than romanticizing it at all. Looking back a lot of the reviews seem to miss that its a story of unresolved grief, then again I spose a lot of the reaction to Under The Skin also seem to ignore how emotionally taught it is focusing more on the strangeness.

bgmnts

Robo Geisha and Tokyo Gore Police.

Mental Japanese silliness, both very gory, especially the latter, where its the only example of a woman's crocodile vagina eating someones head. It's insanity.

Crippled Avengers.

Fell in love with these incredible 70s Shaw Brothers martial arts films a few years ago and watch them regularly, The Five Venom is probably the best, having an actual serviceable story, but I quite like the gimmick of this one and the disabilities lead to really interesting concepts, training sequences and choreography.

Quote from: greenman on August 03, 2019, 03:33:05 AM
I don't remember much about the original release but I'm guessing some pedomania media reactions helped sinked it along with it being mis sold as a more conventional thriller? doesn't fit into the Stew like narrative that the long wait until Under The Skin was were Glazer really evolved as a film maker either or indeed that nobody seems very interested in giving it a home re-release(still not on Blue Ray).

I'd agree though that its on the same kind of level as his latter film, visuals perhaps less eye catching but still very effective with some wonderful lighting of actors faces. Honestly as well I don't really see the problem with the plot, the film treats it as being uncomfortable in the way it should rather than romanticizing it at all. Looking back a lot of the reviews seem to miss that its a story of unresolved grief, then again I spose a lot of the reaction to Under The Skin also seem to ignore how emotionally taught it is focusing more on the strangeness.

I'm a latecomer to the movie (I actually sought it out because I was such a fan of Under the Skin), but yeah my understanding is that there was a huge paedopanic backlash when it came out, even though they went out of their way to make sure there was nothing objectionable on set involving the kid actor. The stupidity of professional film critics never cease to amaze. Another common criticism [MAJOR SPOILER: that the movie removes all ambiguity at the end about whether the kid is really Sean] is again just patently incorrect and a blatant misunderstanding of what happens.

The nature of the script means it is less visually dazzling than Under the Skin--most of it takes place in Manhattan interiors, although there is one fantastic long-shot in Central Park at the start of the movie--but it has an equally great score and some of the best acting in any film you will ever see. Not only Kidman's best but probably the best acting performance by a child actor I have seen. Overall I prefer it to Under the Skin because I think the philosophical questions it asks are even more interesting.

Birth would be a good entry in a separate thread, "Great movies with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes scores"

greenman

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 03, 2019, 04:11:10 AM
I'm a latecomer to the movie (I actually sought it out because I was such a fan of Under the Skin), but yeah my understanding is that there was a huge paedopanic backlash when it came out, even though they went out of their way to make sure there was nothing objectionable on set involving the kid actor. The stupidity of professional film critics never cease to amaze. Another common criticism [MAJOR SPOILER: that the movie removes all ambiguity at the end about whether the kid is really Sean] is again just patently incorrect and a blatant misunderstanding of what happens.

The nature of the script means it is less visually dazzling than Under the Skin--most of it takes place in Manhattan interiors, although there is one fantastic long-shot in Central Park at the start of the movie--but it has an equally great score and some of the best acting in any film you will ever see. Not only Kidman's best but probably the best acting performance by a child actor I have seen. Overall I prefer it to Under the Skin because I think the philosophical questions it asks are even more interesting.

Birth would be a good entry in a separate thread, "Great movies with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes scores"

That the spoiler issue comes up so often in discussion to me seems to highlight people not picking up on the films real intensions. You could argue I spose it deliberately mis sell these intensions giving the impression its going to be some kind of Sixth Sense like supernatural thriller but really its IMHO clearly focused on the drama of the lead character that's doesn't need that ambiguity to function. Its not the story of a character with an otherwise happy existence impinged upon by a supernatural event but rather a character with existing problems that are highlighted by events. That's why I would say the story takes the form it does, its the story of a character embarrassed by her grief trying to live an uptight existence expected of her so you throw the worst most humiliating taboo at her you can to bring that out.

I'd agree the best performance I'v seen from Kidman the same as Johansson in Under The Skin but despite having more dialog its ultimately quite similar with most of the drama being non verbalised which meant it was never likely to get mainstream praise.

sevendaughters

3 Iron. Korean film that I saw in a student cinema in Preston about 14 years ago. It is a very quiet film - not a lot of dialogue at all and not a whole lot of music. The beginning is the itinerant main character putting takeaway menus in people's letterboxes. He then goes back a day later and if the menu is still there, it means they're not in and he breaks in and lives there. He does this a number of times - never as a violent crim. He mends things, keeps it tidy, lives like a benevolent ghost. He then breaks into a house where a woman is still at home and (cinema magic time) they fall in love, silently. He realises she is an abused wife and wreaks a revenge on the husband. It goes from there, on a tension between this ghostly romantic story and the husband trying to get his own vengeance. But it isn't violent or sweary; it's ethereal, feminine, sometimes a little Lynchian in its view of romance.

Twit 2

Yeah that's a good one. Around the same time I was into me Asian cinema I remember really liking a Japanese film called 'All About Lily Chou-Chou' which doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

Endicott

I saw Birth in the cinema when it was released, god knows how long ago that was, I haven't given it a second thought since. I had no idea that it was by the same director as Under The Skin (which is very good). Kidman was bad, just really bad, and the direction was awful.

NoSleep

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on August 03, 2019, 10:51:31 AM
Listomania

I truly hate to be that person, but as I'm sure you know it's Lisztomania. But you are right, it's an absolute gem and one of my favourite films.

I'd go for November (2017) - I know it had it's own CaB thread but only about five us posted in there, and it's a stunning piece of cinema.

Quote from: Endicott on August 03, 2019, 10:42:04 AM
I saw Birth in the cinema when it was released, god knows how long ago that was, I haven't given it a second thought since. I had no idea that it was by the same director as Under The Skin (which is very good). Kidman was bad, just really bad, and the direction was awful.

Have you considered that you may just have been a moron in 2004? Worth a revisit.

holyzombiejesus

QuoteLoneliness of a Long-Distance Runner

Really? I think that's a pretty commonly seen film.

Anyway, mine would be Tears of the Black Tiger, although the 'others' in the thread title really applies to people outside of this thread.

Absorb the anus burn

Suture: beautiful monochrome filming enhances this oddball deconstructive thriller that references everything from Veronica Lake to Rene Descartes.

NoSleep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2019, 02:40:45 PM
I truly hate to be that person, but as I'm sure you know it's Lisztomania. But you are right, it's an absolute gem and one of my favourite films.

My spelling wasn't incorrect; I was commenting on the OP.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 03, 2019, 03:09:27 PM
Have you considered that you may just have been a moron in 2004? Worth a revisit.

Yep, Kidman's best performance. That opera scene was a rollercoaster.

I also really love the soundtrack - check out the prologue scene here for a glimpse of it - https://youtu.be/jP7DtzyGZa8

zomgmouse

Desire by Frank Borzage starring Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper. Top fun and diamond theft.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 02, 2019, 11:42:25 PM
Care to share your thoughts on some of these films? I've only seen a few of them, so it would be interesting to hear why you love them.

Not all of them, obviously, that's an extensive list!
The screenplay and acting are my important criteria for a good movie. I listed most because I don't hear about them.. Same with "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" - kind of a microcosm of American (or other) societies... "Ladybug, Ladybug" was interesting because it was made during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but also from the point of view of the children. You see how they start acting like adults, with all the hierarchies, and the possessiveness (It's MY shelter)... "Mikey and Nicky" has two good friends together, Cassavetes and Falk.. Good story, very funny and tragic. "Never On Sunday" is a fun movie, good story of a man going to Greece because he's named after Homer (his father was a fan, and Dassin directed, bad actor, though). The end of that movie is funny (Mercouri throwing each item, but only after she recites what she learned).

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 02, 2019, 11:51:10 PM
Some great films there. Especially glad to see someone else likes Ladybug Ladybug. Frank Perry had some great films in the 60s and 70s and most of them could go on this list. Had the knack of being able to get under the viewer's skin. You ever see Man on a Swing?

I never saw "Man on a Swing", but his 60s work was so great.. "The Swimmer", too. I think when he and the wife split up, things started to go down.

Crazy thing, I ALMOST put "The Greatest Sinner".. I liked the movie, but didn't love it. Great start, theme, and the way Tim Carey made the movie from nothing (from what John Cassavetes said).. Frank Zappa soundtrack, too.

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2019, 02:40:45 PM
I'd go for November (2017) - I know it had it's own CaB thread but only about five us posted in there, and it's a stunning piece of cinema.

This was finally released on DVD/BR (you get both) in the UK recently. I bought it on the strength of the five opinions in said thread.

I haven't watched it yet because I want this woman I think I'm in love with to watch it with me. Do you think that's a good idea?

SteveDave

The Sasquatch Dumpling Gang a so-so film that lights up whenever the wonderful Justin Long is on the screen. "See you on the shore compadre!"

chveik

Du côté d'Orouët (the best french new wave film imo)
The Northerners
The Last Time I Saw Macao
Hail the Conquering Hero
I Hired a Contract Killer

& those 2 wonderful HK films:
The Lovers (1994)
Exiled (2006)

biggytitbo

non capisco

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 03, 2019, 10:08:14 PM
Frog Dreaming

You're always going on about Paul McCartney. Let it go, you're never going to meet him.

I'm sorry, biggy, that was rubbish.

MortSahlFan

I thought of a German movie made around 2004, called "The Edukators", pretty cool movie.

Quote from: MortSahlFan on August 03, 2019, 05:28:00 PM

I never saw "Man on a Swing", but his 60s work was so great.. "The Swimmer", too. I think when he and the wife split up, things started to go down.

Crazy thing, I ALMOST put "The Greatest Sinner".. I liked the movie, but didn't love it. Great start, theme, and the way Tim Carey made the movie from nothing (from what John Cassavetes said).. Frank Zappa soundtrack, too.

Man on a Swing really seems lesser known even by his standards but it's a really strong little thriller.

Carey was a fascinating figure. There needs to be a  big documentary on his life, just for all the stories of him on set.

timebug

'Comrades' by Bill Douglas (1986)
Sheer unadulterated fucking genius.