Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie You Love but Think Not Many Others Have Seen

Started by MortSahlFan, August 02, 2019, 11:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 03, 2019, 03:17:59 PM
Suture: beautiful monochrome filming enhances this oddball deconstructive thriller that references everything from Veronica Lake to Rene Descartes.

I saw that at the cinema and remember enjoying it a lot, but I think this is the first time I've seen it mentioned in decades.

Quote from: NoSleep on August 03, 2019, 03:58:10 PM
My spelling wasn't incorrect; I was commenting on the OP.

Ah, sorry, I missed the joke there.

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on August 03, 2019, 07:14:43 PM
This was finally released on DVD/BR (you get both) in the UK recently. I bought it on the strength of the five opinions in said thread.

I haven't watched it yet because I want this woman I think I'm in love with to watch it with me. Do you think that's a good idea?

Yeah, I reckon so, as long as she doesn't mind weird films, it's got a fairly haunting aspect to it but it's not fucked up or disturbing.

zomgmouse

A recent one of these, as in I watched it last week, was Nanami: The Inferno of First Love. Thought it was fantastically tender and unusual as a depiction of coming of age.

Alex In Wonderland by Paul Mazursky, slots right in with the period (the artier bit of the New Hollywood era, ie 1968-1971) but nobody seems to talk about it for some reason

sevendaughters

Quote from: MortSahlFan on August 02, 2019, 11:33:29 PM
A Taste of Cherry
Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
L'Argent

these are the ones from your list I've seen and really like. Kiarostami is just incredible, but I'd put his Koker trilogy on the same level of TOC and that is a lesser seen bunch of films.

L'argent was my first Bresson. Brilliant.

Chantal Akerman's Les Rendez-vous d'Anna is a great favourite of mine, but people only tend to have seen one of her films, if any.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 04, 2019, 02:44:41 PM
Chantal Akerman's Les Rendez-vous d'Anna is a great favourite of mine, but people only tend to have seen one of her films, if any.

two for me! but not that (Jeanne Dielman and Home Made Movie). loved both so may as well check this.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 04, 2019, 02:32:46 PM
these are the ones from your list I've seen and really like. Kiarostami is just incredible, but I'd put his Koker trilogy on the same level of TOC and that is a lesser seen bunch of films.

L'argent was my first Bresson. Brilliant.
I definitely need to see more Kiarostami. I think I've seen every Bresson movie except "Lancelot" (the title alone doesn't tickle my soul) and his first one.

The only other Kiarostami feature I saw was "Close-Up" also excellent, but I've heard of the Koker Trilogy and will try to check it out soon. Thanks!

Quote from: MortSahlFan on August 04, 2019, 03:05:39 PM
I think I've seen every Bresson movie except "Lancelot" (the title alone doesn't tickle my soul)

It's really great, one of his best, and I'm no fan of Arthurian shit either

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 04, 2019, 02:20:23 PM
Alex In Wonderland by Paul Mazursky, slots right in with the period (the artier bit of the New Hollywood era, ie 1968-1971) but nobody seems to talk about it for some reason

This has been on my list for aaaages. Though I keep getting it confused with Adam at Six A.M. which I've seen half of.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 04, 2019, 02:20:23 PM

Mazursky's work in general seems to fly under the radar. Harry and Tonto is usually sneered at by people who've never seen it because Art Carney beat Nicholson, Pacino etc to the Oscar that year (Despite it being a great performance in a very good film). I really like Next Stop, Greenwich Village. Lenny Baker playing a young Jewish would be actor moving to Greenwich Village in the 50s and befriending a beatnik group that includes early roles for Chris Walken and Jeff Goldblum. His Blume in Love is also great, but I imagine lots of people will have difficulty with it today because of both how unsympathetic George Segal is in the lead and because of one of the plot aspects.

MortSahlFan

"Next Stop, Greenwich Village" is a great movie. 10/10.

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 04, 2019, 04:08:21 PM
His Blume in Love is also great, but I imagine lots of people will have difficulty with it today because of both how unsympathetic George Segal is in the lead and because of one of the plot aspects.

Oh god yes Blume in Love is great but that third act plot thing is eyebrow raising to say the least. Amazing how they were so casual about that sort of thing

Susan Anspach was cool, wish she'd have been in more stuff

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: MortSahlFan on August 04, 2019, 04:10:54 PM
"Next Stop, Greenwich Village" is a great movie. 10/10.

It is. And the eagle-eyed may discover a certain Bill Murray's screen debut in there as well...

MortSahlFan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on August 04, 2019, 06:07:58 PM
It is. And the eagle-eyed may discover a certain Bill Murray's screen debut in there as well...
Christopher Walken, too

McChesney Duntz

zomgmouse

Does The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer get talked about much? Perfect political satire, brilliant writing, ominous chirpiness.