Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unpopular Favourites

Started by Blumf, August 03, 2019, 04:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 04, 2019, 05:34:38 PM
yeah but who are you talking about, a few magazine writers/journalists? just get over it, nobody gives a damn which films you enjoy

Several people.

No one on here though - the only one that was is no longer posting.

But my "friend" who genuinely isn't happy with the fact I love The Cannonball Run DOES give a damn that I enjoy it.  He got really angry with me about it.  Fucked me right off.

Anyway, that's it, done.  Not saying owt more about it.

of all the films to have a tiff over, fucking Cannonball Run. Jesus wept

bgmnts

Yeah people are ridiculous but I don't think that is happening, unless it is in which case bugger.

Or is this just a case of overhearing someone in their local HMV going "that'a a bit dodgy" when browsing the Video Nasty section.

Blumf

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 04, 2019, 05:39:00 PM
of all the films to have a tiff over, fucking Cannonball Run. Jesus wept

Now, The Gumball Rally, on the other hand...

chveik

this is a safe place SGN, you could even confess your love for Brisseau's films or some other dodgy stuff, we wouldn't care (don't actually do it you sick fuck)

Emma Raducanu

Up 'n' under, starring Neil Morrissey and Samantha (Janus) womack. I loved it so much, I eventually tracked it down and at great expense, purchased it on VHS. Not sure it ever got a DVD release. Crazy.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 04, 2019, 03:54:58 PM
Likewise I remember rather enjoying the Benigni Pinocchio film.

I think the 0% is mostly a result of the American dub, not that critics who saw the subbed version were in love with it exactly. It's an interesting little film. It's odd to think that Benigni made a cuddly PG Holocaust comedy and America said "we love you Roberto! Come over here and have one of our Oscars!". He played a magical 10 year old boy and America said "go back to Italy ya wierdo!"

Quote from: bgmnts on August 03, 2019, 04:09:46 PM
I genuinely like the first two Resident Evil films. 35% and 20% respectively

I was surprised at how highly rated the Dawn of the Dead remake and Dog Soldiers were. 59% and 79%!!

really? I mean, Dog Soldiers ain't art, but if you want squaddies vs werewolves, and let's be honest we all do want that from time to time, it is pretty much perfect.

"I hope I give you the shits, you fockin' wimp"

Twit 2

Harpo Speaks

Freddie Got Fingered. 10% Critics Score. Surprising really considering the 'Daddy would you like some sausages' scene is basically high art.

Twit 2

I loved that film when it came out. I cried laughing at that sausage scene. History has proved me handsomely right.

Golden E. Pump

White Chicks. 15%.

Also, jumping on the Freddie Got Fingered love too.

"He's a molester. He's a child molester!"

Famous Mortimer

Jason X (2002), 19% on Rotten Tomatoes

I'm not sure if the reviewers didn't realise it was supposed to be funny, or they just didn't like slasher movies, or I've gone mad. It's really good though.

bgmnts

Nah Jason X is ace. He fights a sexy lady robot on a spaceship. Its the logical conclusion to the franchise.

Actually i'd add Freddy vs Jason to this.

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 05, 2019, 09:39:53 PM
Freddie Got Fingered. 10% Critics Score. Surprising really considering the 'Daddy would you like some sausages' scene is basically high art.

Basically Tom Green's version of "K Foundation Burn a Million Quid." 10/10

There was a separate thread about it on here a while back.

Brundle-Fly

The Human Centipede 1 & 2 movies.  I'd never seen any horror movie like them before and they have stayed with me. 

I guess that means I'm off Shit Good Nose's mate's Christmas card list then?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 06, 2019, 12:24:08 AM
The Human Centipede 1 & 2 movies.  I'd never seen any horror movie like them before and they have stayed with me. 

I guess that means I'm off Shit Good Nose's mate's Christmas card list then?

The third one is also ... interesting.  Properly repulsive, moreso than the first (which is remarkably restrained, given its reputation) and even the more notoriously shocking second.  I don't know if I'd say it's "good", but there aren't many movies like it, that's for sure.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 04, 2019, 03:54:58 PM
According to Wikipedia the film Problem Child has a 0% rating - I saw this as a kid and thought it was great! Really quite dark for a kids' film.

Seeing "that scene" in the sequel on TV constantly as a child gave me my lifelong emetophobia.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 06, 2019, 10:41:23 AM
The third one is also ... interesting.  Properly repulsive, moreso than the first (which is remarkably restrained, given its reputation) and even the more notoriously shocking second.  I don't know if I'd say it's "good", but there aren't many movies like it, that's for sure.

I've not seen the third instalment. More repulsive then 1 & 2? Blimey! 

Not sure if this is the appropriate post to say this but a belated congratulation on becoming a father, Noodle.

Petey Pate

Rick Alverson's The Comedy has a 47% rating on Rotten Tomatoes - so that would be my pick.

bushwick

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 05, 2019, 09:39:53 PM

haha you beat me to it! I love this film so much. So misunderstood. Everyone turned their noses up but FGF predicted the 21st century zeitgeist, truly prescient film.

bushwick

Forgot about this one, saw it at the pics and really enjoyed it, all-out crazy violent exploitation nonsense with a few boring bits. Big disparity between critic and public scores on this un:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rise_of_the_footsoldier

Kelvin

Quote from: bushwick on August 06, 2019, 02:08:05 PM
haha you beat me to it! I love this film so much. So misunderstood. Everyone turned their noses up but FGF predicted the 21st century zeitgeist, truly prescient film.

Same here. Freddy Got Fingered is one of my favourite comedies, yet it's held in utter contempt. I think the problem is that it's not a clear cut case of parody, piss take, surrealist comedy or shock comedy, but rather something more amorphous that shifts between all four, sometimes even within scenes. It's hard to put in a box - which is also why I love it so.much.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 06, 2019, 01:32:36 PM
Rick Alverson's The Comedy has a 47% rating on Rotten Tomatoes - so that would be my pick.

Ah, yes, count me in on that.

Probably because I'm not a fanboy of the source material, but I finally watched Josh Trank's Fantastic 4 about a year ago and I was at a genuine loss as to why it received the widespead vitriol that it got. 

chveik

Tony Scott's Domino
Blackhat

C_Larence

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 05, 2019, 11:27:35 PM
Jason X (2002), 19% on Rotten Tomatoes

I'm not sure if the reviewers didn't realise it was supposed to be funny, or they just didn't like slasher movies, or I've gone mad. It's really good though.

Jason Goes To Hell:The Final Friday (Friday The 13th 9) has 24%, and I very rarely see anyone with anything good to say about it, but it is far and away my favourite of the series. From the twist in the intro that ends with Jason being absolutely destroyed by the FBI, to the final shot that sets up Freddy vs Jason, it's ridiculous fun. Jason heads don't like it because technically he isn't in it for most of the film, but i don't care.

Quote from: chveik on August 07, 2019, 02:35:15 AM
Tony Scott's Domino
Blackhat

only relatively recently clocked that Domino was Domino Harvey, as in Lawrence Harvey's daughter. Found that somewhat odd.