Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mind of Herbert Clunterdunk

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 03, 2019, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Halfway through the first episode now, its on the iplayer. Billed as comedy but just seems to be LOLRANDOM wackiness. Sort of thing you'd expect from a bad Youtuber. How did this get six episodes.

Anyone else watching this and does it get better after episode one.

Talking shoes and a song about dog poo.

Fambo Number Mive

The final joke of Episode One was funny. Just not the rest of it.

bgmnts

Herbert Clunterdunk is an absolutely fucking abysmal name. Its sub-HS Art levels.

Monty Python were the masters of silly names. Ernest Scribbler, Mrs Premise and Mrs Conclusion etc

DrGreggles

olliebean

I've been completely put off watching this because both the title and the publicity photo of the guy with coco pops all over his face seemed to scream contrived and laboured wackiness. Sounds like I was right.

<edit> Nearly all the pictures in a Google image search for "Spencer Jones" leave me with much the same impression.

Twed

Is this another This Is Jinsy kinda thing?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 03, 2019, 06:27:52 PM
I love Spencer Jones.

I do too. I've not seen this yet but live he's fucking amazing.

Fambo Number Mive

Watching Episode 2, now. Some funny bits when he is with his daughter on the swings. Not as bad as Episode 1 but I would say the good bits are about 30% of the episode.

jsgibble

The concept is quite good and I don't mind Spencer Jones, as much as some dislike him. But for the most part I'm not sure about the execution

jobotic

When do we see his Contrabulous Frabtraption?

Fambo Number Mive

I'd never seen Spencer Jones before this.

Twed

Quote from: Twed on August 04, 2019, 01:21:26 AM
Is this another This Is Jinsy kinda thing?
Oh right, it's not, it's just the mirror bit from The Truman Show extended to episode length.

Alberon

Me and the wife sat through the first of these just now (as both were on BBC 2 this evening). She said the first episode gave her a headache and threatened me with violence if I didn't turn it off.

The visual imagery is very well done and it does make many other shows look pedestrian, but the critical problem isn't that it's just not funny. It's that it's almost agressively unfunny.

Chriddof

Yeah. Looks like it had a lot of work put into all the little props and costumes and things, but the script is (appropriately enough) dogshit. Same problem as with that Noel Fielding programme from several years ago. Very CBBC-ish as well - if it weren't for the occasional swearword, it'd be right at home there. One episode was more than enough for me, I was genuinely wincing towards the end from all the aggravating fast-cut wackiness.

Quote from: Alberon on August 04, 2019, 10:30:31 PM
Me and the wife sat through the first of these just now (as both were on BBC 2 this evening). She said the first episode gave her a headache and threatened me with violence if I didn't turn it off.

My missus went off to bed in a huff halfway through episode 1 as if I was somehow personally responsible for something so utterly shit being on TV. She was absolutely livid.

sevendaughters

watched an episode. it's just aimed at people who don't actually laugh, say "that's jokes" or "that's random" and then find another piece of diverting content.

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 03, 2019, 06:11:36 PM
Halfway through the first episode now, its on the iplayer. Billed as comedy but just seems to be LOLRANDOM wackiness. Sort of thing you'd expect from a bad Youtuber. How did this get six episodes.

What did you expect with a title like that?

Shaky

sevendaughters

i didn't hate it. i thought it could be better remodelled as a kids program with a subversive undertow rather than something ostensibly aimed at comedy fans.

Quote from: jobotic on August 04, 2019, 04:34:43 PM
When do we see his Contrabulous Frabtraption?

Spoonerisms?  Oh God, no hope for it!

trabuch

I expect if this was on Adult Swim it would go down a bit better.(but agree that this would be a very good children's program).

Glitch King

I like Spencer Jones, but not this TV show.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Replies From View on August 05, 2019, 11:29:19 AM
What did you expect with a title like that?

I thought that the concept would be similar but that it would actually be funny.