Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Going to the cinema to see what Hobbs and Shaw are up to

Started by madhair60, August 05, 2019, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

hate going to the cinema, me. But got talked into it by the promise of Stathe. Got time for him I have. Got time for Stathe. Apparently he's in Fast Furious 7 and Fast Furious 8, but I haven't seen them. I remember Dwayne The Rock Johnson from Fast Furious 5 and 6, which I have seen. I hope the film's plot will not be too impenetrable.

Have you seen Hobbs and Shaw?

Piggyoioi

is it the same screenwriter as Fast Five? pretty interesting interview with him here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

madhair60

Blumf

madhair60

phantom_power

I have never seen a F&F film before and went to see Hobbs and Shaw last week and it was great fun. Fucking stupid but great fun. Not quite John Wick or Crank level but a cut above your normal action film and Rockman Rock and Ver Stafe make a great comedic pair. Some good cameos as well

Famous Mortimer

I've seen 'em all and I loved this one too. It provides good action set-pieces and tons of fun banter (although it's not always that hilarious, it hits most of the time) and managed to stick to the one through-line this series has had - "family".

I liked Vanessa Kirby a lot, and thought it was a nice sign of very slightly more advanced times that she didn't wear a bikini at any point or do much of that sort of thing. I mean, she was hot for the Rock but he's magnificent.

I wish they'd made more comedic mileage out of some stuff (like the very obvious age gap between Kirby and Statham, despite them being roughly the same age as children; or that the Rock's family own a car chop-shop, on Samoa, which has a population of about 50,000 people. Who's importing a car from Samoa? That shit will cost more than the vehicle just to ship) but it was very good cinema fun.

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 05, 2019, 06:25:21 PM
I've seen 'em all and I loved this one too. It provides good action set-pieces and tons of fun banter (although it's not always that hilarious, it hits most of the time) and managed to stick to the one through-line this series has had - "family".

I liked Vanessa Kirby a lot, and thought it was a nice sign of very slightly more advanced times that she didn't wear a bikini at any point or do much of that sort of thing. I mean, she was hot for the Rock but he's magnificent.

I wish they'd made more comedic mileage out of some stuff (like the very obvious age gap between Kirby and Statham, despite them being roughly the same age as children; or that the Rock's family own a car chop-shop, on Samoa, which has a population of about 50,000 people. Who's importing a car from Samoa? That shit will cost more than the vehicle just to ship) but it was very good cinema fun.

This is a really good joke, if that's what I hope it is.

madhair60

Famous Mortimer

madhair60

Been thinking about this and I liked it a lot. It's utterly brainless and daft but in a pleasant, good-natured way. There's an extended cameo that keeps cropping up which brings the movie to a screeching halt every time the actor shows up, but that's really its only meaningful flaw. Maybe it's a little overlong. That's it.

Truly dumb popcorn classic.

EOLAN

Quote from: madhair60 on August 06, 2019, 10:40:59 AM

Enjoyed it a lot and did fall asleep for the climatic scene. Did have to ask the wife about the outcome of that. More so to do with the fact I had run out of snacks so didn't have anything to do besides sitting in a newly installed comfortable chair while half-lying back. Was good to catch up on sleep.
Some good interactions and delivery of the more comic scenes; and to be honest I can't really stand Vin Diesel so good not to have him involved. Have a high opinion of Elba and he has a certain charisma but unfortunately he just ended up being a stock-baddy and couldn't really elevate the role.

phantom_power

Quote from: madhair60 on August 06, 2019, 10:40:59 AM
Been thinking about this and I liked it a lot. It's utterly brainless and daft but in a pleasant, good-natured way. There's an extended cameo that keeps cropping up which brings the movie to a screeching halt every time the actor shows up, but that's really its only meaningful flaw. Maybe it's a little overlong. That's it.

If you mean RR I thought his scenes were among the best in the film. He really got the spirit of the whole thing

madhair60

Quote from: phantom_power on August 06, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
If you mean RR I thought his scenes were among the best in the film. He really got the spirit of the whole thing

I didn't hate him - I laughed at "I think it's closed!" - but he was just doing the schtick he always does and it felt like repeated slices of a different movie.

Chollis

Well, I certainly think less of you than I did before opening this thread, madhair60. Live with that knowledge.

madhair60

peanutbutter

Quote from: madhair60 on August 05, 2019, 01:03:09 PM
His death unambiguously improved the franchise.
It didn't though, 5 and 6 were the peak. Justin Lin unambiguously improved the franchise, so did the Rock. Paul Walker was irrelevant.

So is Jason Statham a good guy now? I can't remember how they managed to do that turn considering what he does at the end of Tokyo Drift.

Blumf

Paul Walker kept the franchise grounded, focused on the heart of the series, the cars.

Without him, it's just going to get silly.

No homo.

madhair60

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 07, 2019, 11:27:41 PM
It didn't though, 5 and 6 were the peak. Justin Lin unambiguously improved the franchise, so did the Rock. Paul Walker was irrelevant.

Yeah I was making a joke wasn't I. Fucking sake.

Dex Sawash