Author Topic: Going to the cinema to see what Hobbs and Shaw are up to  (Read 974 times)

Going to the cinema to see what Hobbs and Shaw are up to
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
hate going to the cinema, me. But got talked into it by the promise of Stathe. Got time for him I have. Got time for Stathe. Apparently he's in Fast Furious 7 and Fast Furious 8, but I haven't seen them. I remember Dwayne The Rock Johnson from Fast Furious 5 and 6, which I have seen. I hope the film's plot will not be too impenetrable.

Have you seen Hobbs and Shaw?

Re: Going to the cinema to see what Hobbs and Shaw are up to
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
is it the same screenwriter as Fast Five? pretty interesting interview with him here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »
Dunno mate not really bothered.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »
Still broken up over Paul Walker.

<sniff>

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
His death unambiguously improved the franchise.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
I have never seen a F&F film before and went to see Hobbs and Shaw last week and it was great fun. Fucking stupid but great fun. Not quite John Wick or Crank level but a cut above your normal action film and Rockman Rock and Ver Stafe make a great comedic pair. Some good cameos as well

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
I've seen 'em all and I loved this one too. It provides good action set-pieces and tons of fun banter (although it's not always that hilarious, it hits most of the time) and managed to stick to the one through-line this series has had - "family".

I liked Vanessa Kirby a lot, and thought it was a nice sign of very slightly more advanced times that she didn't wear a bikini at any point or do much of that sort of thing. I mean, she was hot for the Rock but he's magnificent.

I wish they'd made more comedic mileage out of some stuff (like the very obvious age gap between Kirby and Statham, despite them being roughly the same age as children; or that the Rock's family own a car chop-shop, on Samoa, which has a population of about 50,000 people. Who's importing a car from Samoa? That shit will cost more than the vehicle just to ship) but it was very good cinema fun.

weekender

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:44:53 PM »
Not enough cars in this one.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »
Really enjoyed this extremely retarded movie.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Are we human? Or are we toilet
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »
I've seen 'em all and I loved this one too. It provides good action set-pieces and tons of fun banter (although it's not always that hilarious, it hits most of the time) and managed to stick to the one through-line this series has had - "family".

I liked Vanessa Kirby a lot, and thought it was a nice sign of very slightly more advanced times that she didn't wear a bikini at any point or do much of that sort of thing. I mean, she was hot for the Rock but he's magnificent.

I wish they'd made more comedic mileage out of some stuff (like the very obvious age gap between Kirby and Statham, despite them being roughly the same age as children; or that the Rock's family own a car chop-shop, on Samoa, which has a population of about 50,000 people. Who's importing a car from Samoa? That shit will cost more than the vehicle just to ship) but it was very good cinema fun.

This is a really good joke, if that's what I hope it is.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »

ooh snoot snoot

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 11:21:32 PM »
Did you not enjoy the film?

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
Been thinking about this and I liked it a lot. It's utterly brainless and daft but in a pleasant, good-natured way. There's an extended cameo that keeps cropping up which brings the movie to a screeching halt every time the actor shows up, but that's really its only meaningful flaw. Maybe it's a little overlong. That's it.

Truly dumb popcorn classic.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »

Enjoyed it a lot and did fall asleep for the climatic scene. Did have to ask the wife about the outcome of that. More so to do with the fact I had run out of snacks so didn't have anything to do besides sitting in a newly installed comfortable chair while half-lying back. Was good to catch up on sleep.
Some good interactions and delivery of the more comic scenes; and to be honest I can't really stand Vin Diesel so good not to have him involved. Have a high opinion of Elba and he has a certain charisma but unfortunately he just ended up being a stock-baddy and couldn't really elevate the role.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Been thinking about this and I liked it a lot. It's utterly brainless and daft but in a pleasant, good-natured way. There's an extended cameo that keeps cropping up which brings the movie to a screeching halt every time the actor shows up, but that's really its only meaningful flaw. Maybe it's a little overlong. That's it.

If you mean RR I thought his scenes were among the best in the film. He really got the spirit of the whole thing

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
If you mean RR I thought his scenes were among the best in the film. He really got the spirit of the whole thing

I didn't hate him - I laughed at "I think it's closed!" - but he was just doing the schtick he always does and it felt like repeated slices of a different movie.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »
Well, I certainly think less of you than I did before opening this thread, madhair60. Live with that knowledge.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
You literally like football.

Chollis

• Master of Codes
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
LOVE IT

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
His death unambiguously improved the franchise.
It didn't though, 5 and 6 were the peak. Justin Lin unambiguously improved the franchise, so did the Rock. Paul Walker was irrelevant.

So is Jason Statham a good guy now? I can't remember how they managed to do that turn considering what he does at the end of Tokyo Drift.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
Paul Walker kept the franchise grounded, focused on the heart of the series, the cars.

Without him, it's just going to get silly.

No homo.

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »
It didn't though, 5 and 6 were the peak. Justin Lin unambiguously improved the franchise, so did the Rock. Paul Walker was irrelevant.

Yeah I was making a joke wasn't I. Fucking sake.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upph√§ngningspunkterna
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »

I'll be alright the new Biker Boyz come out